Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supporting Australia in the World Cup

Wikiposts

Supporting Australia in the World Cup

Old May 30th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting Australia in the World Cup

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Can't see it myself. Australia won't beat Germany or Serbia and will struggle to get a draw about Ghana.
With Essien out I think Australia could do Ghana. Germany will be depleted too without Ballack. Australia have got a fighting chance.
Old May 30th 2010, 2:26 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
With Essien out I think Australia could do Ghana. Germany will be depleted too without Ballack. Australia have got a fighting chance.

I like your optimism but I still think it's very unlikely. Even if they beat Ghana, they still have to finish higher than Serbia and Germany.
Old May 30th 2010, 2:54 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I said a while ago I thought Serbia would top the group and Germany come second (to face England in the 16s).

Having said that Serbia just managed to lose a friednly to NZ!!... but then friendlies are friendlies arent they and it would be foolish to placemuch significance on their result.

Still - theres always a possibility that Serbia have imploded since qualifiying, Ghana will be guttless without Essien and Germany wont have woken up and got themselves organised in the post-Ballack mode yet...

Best case:
Germany: lose
Ghana: Win
Serbia: draw

Australia have 4 points and go through *JUST* ahead of Serbia (with Germany having gained momentum and beaten Serbia and Ghana)....

Its a long shot - but could happen

Even if they beat Ghana, they still have to finish higher than Serbia and Germany.
OR... not AND... If they beat Ghana they only have to finish higher than one of Serbia or Germany... dont have to top the group - 2nd will do
Old May 30th 2010, 3:02 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

OR... not AND... If they beat Ghana they only have to finish higher than one of Serbia or Germany... dont have to top the group - 2nd will do
My point being that I don't think Australia will finish higher than Germany or Serbia.

I also think writing Ghana off as an easy side is a mistake.
Old May 30th 2010, 3:26 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Well for me I'll support Australia in anything, against anyone, APART from England. I'm English so of course I support England first and foremost.

But I hope Aus have a good World Cup, just hope that England win it! And I think that's how it should be.

Likewise, my OH (Aussie) who lived in England for 8 years, supports England in whatever, unless Aus are playing in which case he'll support them, which is how it should be! I would think it weird if it was otherwise!

One of our first dates was the England v Australia football match back in 2003(?) when England lost. My God, he still talks about it, and I don't think's because it was an amazing date.... lol
Old May 30th 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

ben1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look guys, the scotts may as well support the roos, whats the problem in that ? after all, what else are they to do ? its not like they can cheer their own team on !! AGAIN !!!
You gotta be in it to win it.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

This is my philosophy precisely.

I'm happy for Austalia to do well - provided they do not get any further than England. If Asualia proceed furtehr than England then my life will become unbearable and I shall have to rely on Englands superiority in Cricket and Rugby to defend me against overbearing smugness from the locals - this would be a VERY fragile state of affairs.... It is therefore vital for my own sanity that England retain some quantifable measure of superiority in the only sport that really counts.

So - I'm happy for Australia to proceed all the way to the final, provided they are beaten by England IN that final. Failing that they must be knocked out at least 1 round before England - the following are acceptable:

Australia knocked out at group phase - England into last 16
Australia knocked out at last 16 - England into 4tr finals
Australia knocked out at 4tr final - England in semis
Australia knocked out at semi - England in Final

If Australia get through to the 2nd round it is almost odds on they will be playing England.... If it gets to that stage I'm personally convinced it will get to penalties. I think Australia have a better record than England at Penalties. Schwazer aint no slouch at saving them, and Aus got through a very tough round 4 years ago on Penalties. That situation would lead to eternal bragging rights.... I dont think even I could handle that. I'm actually dreading them meeting now....

It all depends on whether Aus draw with Germany in that first game, I pretty sure there is no way they will beat them.... in fact scoring early against the Germans would be fatal IMO. Longer it goes without a goal the greater a chance of an Aus win or definite draw. If Serbia and Ghana draw with each other, Aus can get through on 3 draws. It's the best pick of the lot drawing the Germans first in my view. (bit like being drawn home on the 2nd game in a 2leg European cup tie)

So how do you think a penalty shoot out against Aus would go

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 30th 2010 at 4:31 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Indeed.... I'm all in favour of getting Hadrian back in to finish that wall off he started.
True fact:
A quote from the history books by Edward longshanks upon returning over the border from Scotland
"It`s good to be rid of a turd"

i love the sweatys really
Old May 30th 2010, 4:33 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Surely the English will be practicing penalties this time around? I read an article talking where Stuart Pierce was talking about England U21s regularly practicing penaties including sitting in the centre circle, doing the long walk to the spot etc etc etc... Surely that couldnt hurt could it?

Anyway - England with 1 shootout success (Spain 1990) in the last 5 (Spain 90, Germany 90, Germany 96, Argentina 98, Portugal 06) are due for a win in one this time round!
Old May 30th 2010, 4:36 pm
Banned

I think England would beat Australia before it got to penalties.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the English will be practicing penalties this time around? I read an article talking where Stuart Pierce was talking about England U21s regularly practicing penaties including sitting in the centre circle, doing the long walk to the spot etc etc etc... Surely that couldnt hurt could it?

Anyway - England with 1 shootout success (Spain 1990) in the last 5 (Spain 90, Germany 90, Germany 96, Argentina 98, Portugal 06) are due for a win in one this time round!

It's not as if Schwazer wouldnt know what each player was likely to do either.

The US v Aus friendly is going to be very telling, as each team, in my view is competing for the mantle of Englands Achilles heel. Playing both of those teams in a row must be a nervy experience for England.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 30th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think England would beat Australia before it got to penalties.

Dammit your supposed to "sure" rather than "think", Wheres that local intense English public pressure that helps bring England undone

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 30th 2010 at 5:04 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not as if Schwazer wouldnt know what each player was likely to do either.

The US v Aus friendly is going to be very telling, as each team, in my view is competing for the mantle of Englands Achilles heel. Playing both of those teams in a row must be a nervy experience for England.
England playing a couple of pub sides makes me nervous, never mind the US and Aus.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:24 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Oooooh. I love it when you talk dirty!
Old May 30th 2010, 6:36 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Indeed.... I'm all in favour of getting Hadrian back in to finish that wall off he started.
With Polish labour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.