Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:42 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The fact that Orstraylia doesn't really do 'food', either that or there is some sort of en masse taste bud failure going on.... Crikey.... I'd eat a boomerang for five minutes in the M&S food hall.
A so very very true fact
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that Orstraylia doesn't really do 'food', either that or there is some sort of en masse taste bud failure going on.... Crikey.... I'd eat a boomerang for five minutes in the M&S food hall.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Sad, but true.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:32 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Are we talking eating out or cooking with fresh ingredients?

If the former I'd agree (and anyone living on it probably deserves it) with a few exceptions, but I find the quality of the rest perfectly acceptable.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:34 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

The fact that you're expected to pay bonkers prices for fruit, cos they've been polished and look pretty, in the knowledge that across the road there's a soviet style toilet block that sells seconds less than a quarter of the price.
The reasons you don't go to said toilet block?
1 it's depressing and shitty,
2 you've lost the will to live,
3. They only accept cash,
4 living in Australia has rendered you totally lethargic and disinterested in life and incapable of crossing the road on foot
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:17 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Are we talking eating out or cooking with fresh ingredients?

If the former I'd agree (and anyone living on it probably deserves it) with a few exceptions, but I find the quality of the rest perfectly acceptable.
I am thinking of items like the dips, the absence of tasty ready meals (other than a meat lasagne that serves 10), cheese so bland it's cut into a variety of shapes to liven it up, a vegetarian section the size of a pinprick and some very odd tasting condiments eg, what is happening with the mayonnaise? The fresh vegetables are acceptable I imagine, other than the crown jewels style pricing and availability which can vary wildly. I wish I could get my head around eating bright orange squidge but i can't seem to overcome my gag reflex... Something which has also prevented me partaking in the vin blanc.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:23 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
The fact that you're expected to pay bonkers prices for fruit, cos they've been polished and look pretty, in the knowledge that across the road there's a soviet style toilet block that sells seconds less than a quarter of the price.
The reasons you don't go to said toilet block?
1 it's depressing and shitty,
2 you've lost the will to live,
3. They only accept cash,
4 living in Australia has rendered you totally lethargic and disinterested in life and incapable of crossing the road on foot
I did finally concede that pikeying around was the way forward on the veg front only I was disappointed to discover the prices are basically the same but with a layer of mud. I've found you can shop on the last day of Rusty's market and get fruit that has been trodden on and eaten by flies relatively cheaply - blend it into a pulp and inject a few needed miligrams of vitamins into one's struggling system...

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jan 26th 2011 at 2:25 am.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:25 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking of items like the dips, the absence of tasty ready meals (other than a meat lasagne that serves 10), cheese so bland it's cut into a variety of shapes to liven it up, a vegetarian section the size of a pinprick and some very odd tasting condiments eg, what is happening with the mayonnaise? The fresh vegetables are acceptable I imagine, other than the crown jewels style pricing and availability which can vary wildly. I wish I could get my head around eating bright orange squidge but i can't seem to overcome my gag reflex... Something which has also prevented me partaking in the vin blanc.
Vegetarian? You are in the wrong place

Dips? I dunno, never struck me as a problem ... The cheese is very variable, we tend to stick with Nimbin for 'cheddar like' taste. Mayo I wouldn't know, I cover everything in Chilli Sauce which may account for why I am content
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:00 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The express lane: 12 (or 10 whatever) items or Less.

IT"S FEWER!!!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:05 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
Other customers.

Shops in general would be fine if they would get rid of all the other customers.

But then I generally don't like "the public" anyhow.
You are my hero.

Just don't ever shop at the same time as me
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:07 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
The tuna in those poxy mini cans. In the UK we used to make tuna bake with 4 "normal-sized" tins which was bad enough but with those mini tins I reckon we'd have to open ten or more of them
Why don't you just buy one of the giant tins of tuna?

I love 'em, just one of them does my tuna rice perfectly
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Why don't you just buy one of the giant tins of tuna?

I love 'em, just one of them does my tuna rice perfectly
Yep you get giant ones. I like the little ones for a quick snack.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
5. Coles flybuys are the most insulting loyalty program ever and why someone there hasn't worked out that people find free Qantas flights with Everyday rewards a better deal is beyond me.
You've got to be kidding, one point for every $1 spent after the first $30, I reckon if I'm lucky that I'll get enough points from Woolies for one way to Brissie before I die
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have not read all the comments but for me

People who hog the meat fridge with trolly up and down discussing it as you rush in to just pick up some snags.

People who chat with friends in the middle of the isle or Derby and Joan discussing everything whilst people are trying to get past.

No offence to Mums but those little trolleys Bunnings seem to have and some other stores are so dangerous. Likely to be run over by people with shopping trolley with mind of its own, being pushed by someone talking on phone or texting.

Loud phone conversations that interrupt your thoughts about food and you miss the punch line
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Ten tear old kids sitting in the trollies amongst all the shopping eating lollies being pushed round by their Mums.
Bread being at the front so it gets squashed by every thing else.
The look of horror on the face of the checkout person when I say no bags please.They look at you as if you have insulted their mother.
Actually I hate food shopping in any country.Take me clothes or shoe shopping instead.Let the kids starve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.