Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why do people who block an aisle with their trolley when browsing the shelves look completely surprised and completely taken aback when someone behind them says "Excuse me please"?

Duh it's a supermarket!!!

(Not just in Oz by the way. It seems to be common everywhere!)

What are you faves?

Rant away.
The worrying thing is that most of them drove to the shop!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why do people who block an aisle with their trolley when browsing the shelves look completely surprised and completely taken aback when someone behind them says "Excuse me please"?

Duh it's a supermarket!!!

(Not just in Oz by the way. It seems to be common everywhere!)

What are you faves?

Rant away.

Noticed that too.

And over here the aisles are often much much narrower - even in the larger stores, making "excuse me please" encounters more frequent.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
The worrying thing is that most of them drove to the shop!!
Even when they live 5 minutes walk away!
Why do so many Aussies spend two hours pounding the streets for "ëxercise" then when they get home they drive the five minutes to the shops to buy dinner! FFS Buy the dinner while you're out!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

You have a few items in your basket so you go to the express queue, you know the one near to the service desk where they sell fags. So nowadays the check out person can't sell them to you (no idea why?) so you pay for your few groceries, walk 10 steps to the service desk, then the same check out person turns from their till and comes to said desk and can then serve you, but only from one special fag till.

WTH is that all about???? This one REALLY pees me off especially when I have no cash!!

p.s. No quit smoking tips needed from the non-smokers thank you very much.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:33 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
having to go to a seperate shop to get booze
the fact that you have to buy about 20L of coke to make it worthwhile
approximately 300 styles of tuna, all overpriced
decaf tea is twice the price of normal tea and only in the form of tampons, why?
bread costs anything from $2 to 5 dollars a loaf
I have spent around $30,000 dollars at coles and my fly buys points entitle me to a free chupachup
last but not least, the complete paucity of interesting and quality food
Why pay an arm and a leg for "The Real Thing"? We go for the "el cheapo" and sugar-free brands of coke etc. It seems to taste better over here and is a fraction of the cost.

The tuna in those poxy mini cans. In the UK we used to make tuna bake with 4 "normal-sized" tins which was bad enough but with those mini tins I reckon we'd have to open ten or more of them

Try baking your own bread. You won't regret it.

Originally Posted by newjersey
Going to the store hungry and buying four times the amount you actually need
Going there stuffed and returning with beer and a bag of crisps.
A list combined with determination helps OH and I to not overspend. Otherwise we would go in for a few items and come out with a trolley-full.

Originally Posted by ColinandLyn
choosing the checkout que that was moving ........STOPS !!!!
Even worse is when they have a dozen checkouts, a store full of customers and only one or two checkouts manned/womaned. And the chance of them opening another till because there's more customers in front of you than there are people in the Aus perm migration queue is close to nill

And my own gripe: Having to go to several supermarkets, etc every week to get the pick of the deals.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You have a few items in your basket so you go to the express queue, you know the one near to the service desk where they sell fags. So nowadays the check out person can't sell them to you (no idea why?) so you pay for your few groceries, walk 10 steps to the service desk, then the same check out person turns from their till and comes to said desk and can then serve you, but only from one special fag till.

WTH is that all about???? This one REALLY pees me off especially when I have no cash!!

p.s. No quit smoking tips needed from the non-smokers thank you very much.
I used to get frustrated waiting to be served at the ciggy queue for the dozens of Lotto customers to buy their tickets.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:42 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

1. People who go to the express check out and, despite the queue behind them, make the check out chick go and get them 100 Holiday or whatever chav smokes they want. Because nobody else had anything better to do than stand there and that's why they went to the express lane

2. People who wear no shoes in supermarkets despite the obvious risk to loosing a toe. Really - are you that stupid ?

3. The fact is usually cheaper to buy two smaller quantities of something than the larger combined single item.

4. Anything which proudly tells me this item is reduced by less than 5c. That's just rubbing salt into the wound of the stupidly gouging prices which we are fleeced with everyday.

5. Coles flybuys are the most insulting loyalty program ever and why someone there hasn't worked out that people find free Qantas flights with Everyday rewards a better deal is beyond me.

6. People who wear PJ's when shopping into the evening at the IGA. You are, frankly, a dag who deserves to live in your fibro shack with two staffies.

7. During the busy times, make sure that you only have 2 checkouts open and have at least 3 staff behind the "management" counter bit looking busy. Your not and we know it.

8. Not selling booze. Instead open up BWS bottle shops next to your supermarket and pay more overheads. I realise this is just the Australian government protecting us from ourselves and the dangers of alcohol. Lest we become a nation of binge drinkers who consume more than most other western countries...oh wait...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

That bloody tune "we are the fresh food people" being played incessantly. Get my shotgun please....
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
1. People who go to the express check out and, despite the queue behind them, make the check out chick go and get them 100 Holiday or whatever chav smokes they want. Because nobody else had anything better to do than stand there and that's why they went to the express lane
Fag counter is maybe 8 steps away in my local shop, and oh yes it is only chavs who smoke cigarettes I forgot, somebody should have told Princess Margaret this.

For the record it is 25 Benson and Hedges Smooth. I am a superior type of chav.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Fag counter is maybe 8 steps away in my local shop, and oh yes it is only chavs who smoke cigarettes I forgot, somebody should have told Princess Margaret this.

Princess Margaret WAS a bit of a chav- drinking and smoking and rumour has it, doing drugs. Failed marriage and a series of toyboys.....'nuff said.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:56 pm
Banned

And superior prices too (B&H were my brand)

...In the end I think it was the superior prices that pushed me over the edge and forced me to stop.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:56 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Princess Margaret WAS a bit of a chav- drinking and smoking and rumour has it, doing drugs. Failed marriage and a series of toyboys.....'nuff said.
Dearie me, drinking and smoking, a bit of weed, a "failed" marriage and a few boyfriends, how terribly common. Anybody would think she was a human being............
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:22 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

6. People who wear PJ's when shopping into the evening at the IGA. You are, frankly, a dag who deserves to live in your fibro shack with two staffies.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

2. People who wear no shoes in supermarkets despite the obvious risk to loosing a toe. Really - are you that stupid ?

3. The fact is usually cheaper to buy two smaller quantities of something than the larger combined single item.

4. Anything which proudly tells me this item is reduced by less than 5c. That's just rubbing salt into the wound of the stupidly gouging prices which we are fleeced with everyday.

5. Coles flybuys are the most insulting loyalty program ever and why someone there hasn't worked out that people find free Qantas flights with Everyday rewards a better deal is beyond me.

7. During the busy times, make sure that you only have 2 checkouts open and have at least 3 staff behind the "management" counter bit looking busy. Your not and we know it.

8. Not selling booze. Instead open up BWS bottle shops next to your supermarket and pay more overheads. I realise this is just the Australian government protecting us from ourselves and the dangers of alcohol. Lest we become a nation of binge drinkers who consume more than most other western countries...oh wait...
OMG I have a twin! I couldn't have ranted better if I'd done it myself
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:37 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that Orstraylia doesn't really do 'food', either that or there is some sort of en masse taste bud failure going on.... Crikey.... I'd eat a boomerang for five minutes in the M&S food hall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.