Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Supermarket Pet Hates...

Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:25 am
  #181  
Account Closed
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 2,195
stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Aload of conning buggers aint they, and people put up with it cos they don't wanna whinge or be seen as unaustralian. I'm gonna start growing all my own, it's beyond a joke now
stevenglish is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:29 am
  #182  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter View Post
added to this mate they have 9 months supply prior to the floods
This subject may have come up before, if so I apologise, but do you keep fruit fresh for 9 months?

I thought it was "Woolworths the FRESH food people."
Beedubya is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:46 am
  #183  
your fair weather friend!
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,018
unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

here we go:

1. Milk: why is there a need for 400 types of milk?: high calcium, high protein, added vitamin D, added Aussieness, added wank. Pura milk costs about twice the price of normal milk, why? warraloada shite

2. Tuna: done that, but it's worth another mention due to it's shear bollockiness

3. Mayo: it aint mayo, it's friggin salad cream! develop some f'in taste buds! Funnily enough, by far the most mayo-ish mayo we've found was thanks to one of our kids having a cows milk allergy: Soy mayo which is made in the USA, it actually tastes more like mayo than aussie mayo

4. Dog food: why oh f'in why is there fresh dog food next to the stuff for humans?

5. Cold meat: it costs half the price of the packaged stuff at the deli. Again, why? Please don't tell me it's cos there's an emphasis on fresh food and reduced packaging..a look around any Aussie supermarket will tell you that there's a plethora of fat bastards who eat crisps and coke all day..ie non perishable high carbon footprint packaged shite. No, it's another example of why this country is a rip off to the consumer
unfair dinkum is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:58 am
  #184  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum View Post
here we go:

1. Milk: why is there a need for 400 types of milk?: high calcium, high protein, added vitamin D, added Aussieness, added wank. Pura milk costs about twice the price of normal milk, why? warraloada shite

2. Tuna: done that, but it's worth another mention due to it's shear bollockiness

3. Mayo: it aint mayo, it's friggin salad cream! develop some f'in taste buds! Funnily enough, by far the most mayo-ish mayo we've found was thanks to one of our kids having a cows milk allergy: Soy mayo which is made in the USA, it actually tastes more like mayo than aussie mayo

4. Dog food: why oh f'in why is there fresh dog food next to the stuff for humans?

5. Cold meat: it costs half the price of the packaged stuff at the deli. Again, why? Please don't tell me it's cos there's an emphasis on fresh food and reduced packaging..a look around any Aussie supermarket will tell you that there's a plethora of fat bastards who eat crisps and coke all day..ie non perishable high carbon footprint packaged shite. No, it's another example of why this country is a rip off to the consumer
Steady on Mr Calf, this is very un-Australian of you.
Beedubya is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:10 am
  #185  
your fair weather friend!
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,018
unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
Steady on Mr Calf, this is very un-Australian of you.

[email protected]&K the Aussies!
unfair dinkum is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:26 am
  #186  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum View Post
[email protected]&K the Aussies!
Said exactly as Paul Calf would say it LOL!
Beedubya is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:48 am
  #187  
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina
 
Turban Explorer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Footloose
Posts: 3,416
Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

The Japanese mayo is quite nice - squeezy bottle in the Asian section - apart from the Paul Newman at $9 or so the rest is rancid. So right about the minced kangaroo spleen mashed into a sausage shape being placed next to the human meat. Same in the 'servos' with the fishing bait positioned right next to the lolly and ice cream fridge. Weird....I wonder if Aussies going overseas feel amazed at how sophisticated the whole shopping experience is? How so many items don't make it down under? How there is no price/quality relationship and some stuff just has a massive arbitrary price for no reason? That the deli counter basically serves nowt but olives and feta.... So many questions........
Turban Explorer is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:44 am
  #188  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,603
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer View Post
The Japanese mayo is quite nice - squeezy bottle in the Asian section - apart from the Paul Newman at $9 or so the rest is rancid. So right about the minced kangaroo spleen mashed into a sausage shape being placed next to the human meat. Same in the 'servos' with the fishing bait positioned right next to the lolly and ice cream fridge. Weird....I wonder if Aussies going overseas feel amazed at how sophisticated the whole shopping experience is? How so many items don't make it down under? How there is no price/quality relationship and some stuff just has a massive arbitrary price for no reason? That the deli counter basically serves nowt but olives and feta.... So many questions........
All valid questions but I confess to being surprised at how unsophisticated the average Brit is - defining themselves by how they shop - in a supermarket.

There has to be 400 types of milk - maybe it's an easy win lol.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:13 am
  #189  
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina
 
Turban Explorer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Footloose
Posts: 3,416
Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
All valid questions but I confess to being surprised at how unsophisticated the average Brit is - defining themselves by how they shop - in a supermarket.
how do you mean defining themselves? Customer basket as self identity?
Turban Explorer is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:17 am
  #190  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,603
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

The scary one is "Modified Milk", where the only modification appears to be a doubling of the price

...Oh, and the milk seems to have a nice glow to it
paulry is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:11 pm
  #191  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,603
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer View Post
how do you mean defining themselves? Customer basket as self identity?
Not you, but the way it is really quite important for so many. Not their basket but how the shop features in their lives. "I do miss me Asdas" - that sort of thing.

It's been one of the aspects of BE I still find hard to comprehend...and I've been reading the forum for 8 years..
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:16 pm
  #192  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,979
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
Not you, but the way it is really quite important for so many. Not their basket but how the shop features in their lives. "I do miss me Asdas" - that sort of thing.

It's been one of the aspects of BE I still find hard to comprehend...and I've been reading the forum for 8 years..
Ah yes, that uniquely British trait of missing things from home, be they shops / products etc.
bcworld is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:27 pm
  #193  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,603
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
Ah yes, that uniquely British trait of missing things from home, be they shops / products etc.
It's not that. That's Ok. And I can understand, sympathise with and get the arguments. I often wonder what my parents would think about the wringing of hands over what is a store.

A supermarket was an invention that combined a groceries store with a greengrocer - that was all. Aisles of rubbish is a distraction reserved for the mass market.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:13 pm
  #194  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum View Post
Pura milk costs about twice the price of normal milk, why?
Because some people are prepared to pay the higher price, so the supermarkets cater for their needs. And that is just about it...
 
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:27 pm
  #195  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
eddie007's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere South... Not Telling YOU
Posts: 10,959
eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarket Pet Hates...

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
It's not that. That's Ok. And I can understand, sympathise with and get the arguments. I often wonder what my parents would think about the wringing of hands over what is a store.

A supermarket was an invention that combined a groceries store with a greengrocer - that was all. Aisles of rubbish is a distraction reserved for the mass market.
I like supermarkets here, there is less choice so less agonising over which of 156 kinds of mayo i should buy, dont have to worry Bout whether I got the RIGHT bread... I brought THE bread.... Simpler for si ple minds like mine


spud shed and the farmers markets makes fruint, veg n meat EASY... We just buy what they have a lot of and is cheap today... Eating whats in season...
eddie007 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.