Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Summer equals grumpy.

Summer equals grumpy.

Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer equals grumpy.

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Ever thought of moving?

I don't mean that flippantly and I know its never that simple, but down here on the Illawarra coast we very rarely get scorchers and humidity never seems to be a real serious issue.

We got to 24.9c here today and 29% humidity at that time. That's a fairly average day here at this time of year.
Tried it, didn't get the job
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tried it, didn't get the job
Yeah, I remember that now. Shame, climate sounds much more to your liking.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:35 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Yes, it's horrible isn't it? I whinge all Summer but I seriously find it hard to function in this weather. People who like the heat just don't get it.
Our problem was there was nowhere else in Australia that interested us as far as somewhere to live, we certainly wouldnt go back to Victoria, WA was not even worth thinking about and neither was NSW. We liked the Brisbane area but the weather could be truly horrible.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Our problem was there was nowhere else in Australia that interested us as far as somewhere to live, we certainly wouldnt go back to Victoria, WA was not even worth thinking about and neither was NSW. We liked the Brisbane area but the weather could be truly horrible.
"WA was not even worth thinking about and neither was NSW"

So that's 1.3 million square miles ruled out in one sentence. That's some going.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:37 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Ever thought of moving?

I don't mean that flippantly and I know its never that simple, but down here on the Illawarra coast we very rarely get scorchers and humidity never seems to be a real serious issue.

We got to 24.9c here today and 29% humidity at that time. That's a fairly average day here at this time of year.
Yes, I think about moving about ten times a day!

Actually, I have moved around Australia quite a bit in the past and I agree there are places (like NSW) with much better weather (at least as far as I'm concerned.) That said, like Chris (below) ... there isn't anywhere that I have seen that has enough pull for me to consider moving there now.

Originally Posted by chris955
I understand what you mean but (and you're probably going to think I'm mad) of all the places I wouldn't choose to live it is Brisbane!

I always said I would never live in Brisbane - one significant reason being the weather. But then I met my husband and agreed to move to be with him and his air conditioner.

The air conditioner keeps the lounge cool but I haven't yet found a way to conduct my entire life from the couch.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think about moving about ten times a day!

Actually, I have moved around Australia quite a bit in the past and I agree there are places (like NSW) with much better weather (at least as far as I'm concerned.) That said, like Chris (below) ... there isn't anywhere that I have seen that has enough pull for me to consider moving there now.

I understand what you mean but (and you're probably going to think I'm mad) of all the places I wouldn't choose to live it is Brisbane!

I always said I would never live in Brisbane - one significant reason being the weather. But then I met my husband and agreed to move to be with him and his air conditioner.

The air conditioner keeps the lounge cool but I haven't yet found a way to conduct my entire life from the couch.
I liked the area, I love rainforest and the wildlife associated with it. I hate dry and brown and desolate so SE Queensland was a good option. I liked the winter but the summers were just so oppressive, its just different strokes really, some thrive in that environment.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:27 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I like it hot
We've had quite a few days of 35 degrees and it's only spring. I haven't even put the aircon on.
In fact, I hate air con!
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:56 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

People who like the heat just don't get it.
It's Australia, known to be hot. Most people grew up with heat and it's part of life. For me, I'll take heat any day, and I'm from one of the coldest countries, bring it on for me! For someone to move to country known to be hot, unless you move to Tasmania, live with it, you can't change it, whinging about it is the reason for certain nickname...

I get that it's not for everyone but seriously how many moving here do the actual facts? Look at "police" section of BE atm, they are all looking for sunshine, do they realise the heat on the beat? I came here without knowing anything about the heat but bring it in for me as winter makes me suffer, the hotter it gets, better for me. Humidity is another thing but I cope with that. Only just. Most people don't realise how much wind and humidity effects things unfortunately
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Not the heat though is it, it is the humidity that gets you. 32C and low humidity is more comfortable than say 25c and 90% humidity. Thankfully it only really gets humid in Sydney from Feb - March time. Feb is the worst month of the year in Sydney - usually humid and wet.
Horses for courses. We don't get humidity levels of 90% often but I'd rather have 25c and humidity over 32c and low humidity. Not a fan of having all the water drawn out of my body just by walking outside thanks. Not a fan of air con either. Open windows and doors is more than enough here. Amazing the difference a 100+kms from Brisbane can make.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:56 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
It's Australia, known to be hot. Most people grew up with heat and it's part of life. For me, I'll take heat any day, and I'm from one of the coldest countries, bring it on for me! For someone to move to country known to be hot, unless you move to Tasmania, live with it, you can't change it, whinging about it is the reason for certain nickname...

I get that it's not for everyone but seriously how many moving here do the actual facts? Look at "police" section of BE atm, they are all looking for sunshine, do they realise the heat on the beat? I came here without knowing anything about the heat but bring it in for me as winter makes me suffer, the hotter it gets, better for me. Humidity is another thing but I cope with that. Only just. Most people don't realise how much wind and humidity effects things unfortunately
When it comes to the weather, I'm comfortable to be called a whinging pom... even if it is by an Aussie-Finn on a British Expats site.

Like I said... those who like the heat just don't get it about those of us who hate it.

I hated the heat in Australia from the very second I arrived. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to bother the rest of my family.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Not the heat though is it, it is the humidity that gets you. 32C and low humidity is more comfortable than say 25c and 90% humidity. Thankfully it only really gets humid in Sydney from Feb - March time. Feb is the worst month of the year in Sydney - usually humid and wet.
Strangely according to the BOM records Sydney has higher average humidity than Brisbane. I think the few degrees higher heat must be the difference.

Brisbane mean monthly relative humidity 3pm:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
59 60 59 55 52 51 46 44 46 52 55 57

Source: Bureau of Meteorology - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040214.shtml

And Sydney:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
62 64 62 59 57 57 51 49 51 56 58 59

Source: Bureau of Meteorology - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066062.shtml
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:46 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Cloudy but nice here in Canberra
Old Nov 16th 2013, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Having just had a pool built... Bring on summer!!!
Old Nov 16th 2013, 11:50 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said... those who like the heat just don't get it about those of us who hate it.
And those of us that love heat never understand vice versa.

Neither one is right really, I get both points but as it's only reaching over +30 in Perth and people are complaining, I guess my point is wait a month or two, once it reaches +45 u know u are in Oz.

For me, medical grounds make me like the heat more as I'm not in pain then, the unfortunate whinging pom comment stems from ENDLESS FB newsfeed "omg the heat, the spiders, the flies, the mozzies, it should be cooler, air con is so expensive etc", all norm of life in Oz, live with it or.... Especially as I had warned most of those people of such facts but them rose tinted glasses etc...

So I guess I get more defensive about Oz the longer I live here, as said I knew nothing when I arrived but I do get tired of saying "yes it gets hot" and it's not listened to, as for long terms here that suffer with heat, I do understand (as it is just the opposite if mine but none the less debilitating), and most people cope either cold or hot because they have to (moved here as spouse etc). My gripe isONLY with people who moved here "for the sunshine" and then whinge endlessly when it gets hot. Hope that makes sense! I used the Police forum as an example as both Old.Sparkles and me have tried to point out the need of air con, heating etc in Perth, but do they listen, NO! So next year when they whinge how hot it is.... Well you get my point?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane certainly has humidity for summer, ( but nothing compared to north qld/darwin etc). but it does not have the horrendous levels of flies of the southern, western states have.

Even in melbourne this mid october, one hot day and the huge black buzzing blow flies came out in the thousands. Even more disgusting, the thousands of small black flies that plaque you in many states, including vic, NSW and WA, SA. The ones that love to crawl into your eyes, ears, nose, never seen them in brisbane or surrounding coasts. A huge advantage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.