Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"Stumble Inn" - the Barbie's very own pub

"Stumble Inn" - the Barbie's very own pub

Old Jan 10th 2015, 5:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Stumble Inn" - the Barbie's very own pub

Holy schmolly, how do I find them?

Sat in my fave window seat in my local pub in Hobart, watching the world go by Next table has two lesbians and a bloke sat there, Americans.
Have decuced from the conversation they are off on a walk somewhere tomorrow, starting at 6am. Younger girl - 20-21 - has drunk one very small glass (pot) of weak cider. She is now giggly and petulant and whinging cos her game won't download on her phone. Older one is perusing the menu, bloke is muttering about "go back to the hotel and use the wifi".
So now the kiddie one is hungry. "whens the kitchen open"
"5pm"
Thats another HOUR
Yep
Go and tell them I'm hungry NOW
Bloke raises hands and says tough luck.
Go and get the chef and tell him I'm hungry
The chef probably isn't here yet, he doesn't sit here all day when he is not working, just waiting for 5pm.
Then get them to call him in
Tough older lesbian says, honey, be patient, the food will be here later
why isn't the kitchen open?
Bloke says Why don't you shut up
Bar staff smirk
Spoilt brat announces she might go to hotel and have a ham sandwich instead
oh honey stay here, we can have a nice night
Where's the chef. Why isn't the kitchen open?

Older one now reads menu aloud. Why does it have mushrooms on it?
Bloke says We have mushrooms on our menus at home
But we know they are safe. Here they probably sent the chef into the forest to pick them and so they might be poisonous and we might all die

Why isn't the kitchen open? Wheres the chef?

Is it true that poisonous mushrooms all grow in special areas so everyone knows they are dangerous and so no one eats them?
Bloke - no, the safe ones grow in special areas so you know they are safe.
Thats just weird, woudldnt it be better if they planted the poisoned ones in special areas?

Is the kitchen open yet?

Older woman - they have a sea here you know, I saw it from the hotel!
(aside note here, this pub is a whole 9 minutes walk straightline from the harbour)
Bloke- I went there last night, they have boats, and they have signs saying they have fresh fish. Perhaps they catch it here instead of fhe fish flying from America?

At this point i have to stop typing the running commentary and retire to the other end of the bar as i can't take it any more and am envisioning the fish flapping frantically as they fly in....followed by a whining voice saying "can you ring the chef and tell him to open the kitchen?

Edit. Kitchen opening at 5, at 4.55 petulant brat has just wandered past saying I'm going to the hotel to bed, no one cares that I am hungry. Why didnt they open the kitchen for me...........

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 10th 2015 at 6:34 am.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Sat in my fave window seat in my local pub in Hobart, watching the world go by Next table has two lesbians and a bloke sat there, Americans.
Have decuced from the conversation they are off on a walk somewhere tomorrow, starting at 6am. Younger girl - 20-21 - has drunk one very small glass (pot) of weak cider. She is now giggly and petulant and whinging cos her game won't download on her phone. Older one is perusing the menu, bloke is muttering about "go back to the hotel and use the wifi".
"5pm"
Thats another HOUR
Yep
The chef probably isn't here yet, he doesn't sit here all day when he is not working, just waiting for 5pm.
Bar staff smirk

But we know they are safe. Here they probably sent the chef into the forest to pick them and so they might be poisonous and we might all die

Is it true that poisonous mushrooms all grow in special areas so everyone knows they are dangerous and so no one eats them?
Thats just weird, woudldnt it be better if they planted the poisoned ones in special areas?

Is the kitchen open yet?

(aside note here, this pub is a whole 9 minutes walk straightline from the harbour)
Bloke- I went there last night, they have boats, and they have signs saying they have fresh fish. Perhaps they catch it here instead of fhe fish flying from America?

At this poit k have to stop typing ther unning commentary and retire to the other end of the bar as i can't take it any more and am envisioning the fish flapping frantically as they fly in....followed by a whining voice saying "can you ring the chef and tell him to open the kitchen?

Edit. Kitchen opening at 5, at 4.55 petulant brat has just wandered past saying I'm going to the hotel to bed, no one cares that I am hungry. Why didnt they open the kitchen for me...........
Holy shit ! How long did all that take to type ?
Old Jan 10th 2015, 6:39 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
not that long really, cos i just kept the screen open and typed when they talked! thats how you get the best jist of the conversation once you realise how funny its getting!! i could never remember it all to type in one go!

next pub, group of young Aussie mums on a girls weekend. One of the husbands rang, some shite about the kids. She told him what to do, then said "we're off back to the hotel to sleep cos we have an early start tomorrow, nighty night! "
After she'd hung up she said right girls, all the vodkas are now on me, lets get trashed!!!
All those poor hubbies back home in Melbourne think these girls are on a little walking tour....staggering tour more like!
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:32 pm
Home and Happy

Rather appropriate cider consumed after reuniting with a lovely crew of penguins on Tassie i love these birds, they walk up out of the sea, while their chicks wait at the burrow entrance, desperate for the food that their parents have spent all day swimming for!
So gorgeous and self contained and determined!

Fairy Penguins usually have 2 chicks, nice family unit in a little burrow (usually detatched, they like their privacy!) - although they mate for life usually, the females do sometimes "divorce" the males as it is the job of the male bird to keep the burrow clean and tidy and if he doesn't do it, the female leaves and gets a new mate!!
Wonderful experience, and somewhere like Tassie is better than the huge organised tours from places like Philip Island, just because they are smaller and more intimate.

And the cabin.....across the road from the beach, fell asleep to the sound of the sea its so tranquil, the owner has a little area in the garden with candles and burners and a little fountain and Buddhist statues, and its just been so relaxing. Books in the cabin have a few astrological and spiritual ones too, how lucky can you get, picked at random from bookings.com as the cheapest place in town at present! I could stay here longer.........
Attached Thumbnails "Stumble Inn" - the Barbie's very own pub-image.jpg  
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:47 pm
Home and Happy

Hey Molly Coddle, this one's for you....

You know I said things happen when I'm in Hobart...

Hobart weather: Highest rainfall in three years falls on south-east Tasmania - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hobart Rivulet runs through the middle of the city, normally just a mere trickle! This is amazing!

And....we now have a 3.6 quake into the bargain!

Time for beer methinks
Attached Thumbnails "Stumble Inn" - the Barbie's very own pub-10245379_10153071224103408_2191410020083954012_n.jpg   "Stumble Inn" - the Barbie's very own pub-rivulet-2-14-jan-2015.jpg  
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:44 am
Home and Happy

So when I was in Hobart a few years back, Myers burnt to the ground minutes after I had maxed out my credit card there and joked to the staff about it bursting into flames
Today, I'm sat in a bar when a crowd of people come in and say"its ok to drink here isn't it? Only we got chucked out of the bar down the road cos all the fire alarms are going off............ where did i just have lunch?

Jinxed, I tell you, jinxed

Get another pint Brian while we watch them put the fire out.....
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

"5pm"
Thats another HOUR
Yep
Bar staff smirk

Is the kitchen open yet?

At this point i have to stop typing the running commentary and retire to the other end of the bar as i can't take it any more and am envisioning the fish flapping frantically as they fly in....followed by a whining voice saying "can you ring the chef and tell him to open the kitchen?

Lol I'm actually speechless, the last paragraph is still typing into my memory bank...

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Funny!

Women are so much better at typing long posts bobby!
Hey Molly Coddle, this one's for you....

You know I said things happen when I'm in Hobart...

Hobart weather: Highest rainfall in three years falls on south-east Tasmania - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hobart Rivulet runs through the middle of the city, normally just a mere trickle! This is amazing!

And....we now have a 3.6 quake into the bargain!

Time for beer methinks :

Jesus Christ Polly, you're a dangerous woman! I'm thinking along the lines of David Blaine, Dynomo. if you don't know who I'm on about google them, there's a new career coming up you!
So when I was in Hobart a few years back, Myers burnt to the ground minutes after I had maxed out my credit card there and joked to the staff about it bursting into flames
Today, I'm sat in a bar when a crowd of people come in and say"its ok to drink here isn't it? Only we got chucked out of the bar down the road cos all the fire alarms are going off............ where did i just have lunch?

Jinxed, I tell you, jinxed

Get another pint Brian while we watch them put the fire out.....

: Honestly, what can you say to that?

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Jan 14th 2015 at 4:03 am.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 4:10 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

Jesus Christ Polly, you're a dangerous woman! I'm thinking along the lines of David Blaine, Dynomo. if you don't know who I'm on about google them, there's a new career coming up you!

: Honestly, what can you say to that?
tis a bit isn't it..... then of course there are the two occasions when I got stranded in the UK, once by that Icelandic volcano, Ekkyjackywatsit, and secondly when the A380 blew an engine and I got bumped of a flight cos of planes out of service!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Polly is a witch, in the nicest sort of way, and unintentionally causes unforseen events to happen, whether it is eathquakes, fire or flood.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:44 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Polly is a witch, in the nicest sort of way, and unintentionally causes unforseen events to happen, whether it is eathquakes, fire or flood.

Hobart's oldest pub, the Hope and Anchor, looks a little place from the outside, and just looks like a tatty local. Came in yesterday for a beer, mentioned it later to a mate on facebook, and he said Go back and ask about the museum.....
Its amazing, all stuff from the early 1800s, gentryfolk stuff like huge wall clocks, mounted stuffed animals, original muskets and rifles, kettles, pots etcand some amazingly well restored furniture. All stuff from the original settlers. Been in the pub ever since, handed on from one owner to the next. And no one even knows its here!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:46 am
Home and Happy

And a second one cos the ipad will only upload one per post.

Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Hobart's oldest pub, the Hope and Anchor, looks a little place from the outside, and just looks like a tatty local. Came in yesterday for a beer, mentioned it later to a mate on facebook, and he said Go back and ask about the museum.....
Its amazing, all stuff from the early 1800s, gentryfolk stuff like huge wall clocks, mounted stuffed animals, original muskets and rifles, kettles, pots etcand some amazingly well restored furniture. All stuff from the original settlers. Been in the pub ever since, handed on from one owner to the next. And no one even knows its here!
Interesting, I love stuff like that. I wonder how old the stags head is? They are worth a bit. The older the better apparently.

Well I've been up looking for a rental on line for nearly 4 hours flat! It's 1:47 am Melbourne time and I still haven't found one, lol.... If I read ' neat as a pin' one more flipping time, or see a another pink bathroom suite I think I'll join the Stag
Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Interesting, I love stuff like that. I wonder how old the stags head is? They are worth a bit. The older the better apparently.

Well I've been up looking for a rental on line for nearly 4 hours flat! It's 1:47 am Melbourne time and I still haven't found one, lol.... If I read ' neat as a pin' one more flipping time, or see a another pink bathroom suite I think I'll join the Stag

There were four or five heads, really excellent condition - been restored apparently. They date back (o the guy said) to the 1800s - I know nowt about taxidermy so have to take his word for it but they do look in great condition, as does all the other stuff. Its just the fact that I can stand there looking at it and imagine how all that stuff came out from the UK years ago....no Masons, Pickfords, and shipping insurance then
So glad I listened to Justin and went back today to ask about the museum, thats a pint I owe him
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

There were four or five heads, really excellent condition - been restored apparently. They date back (o the guy said) to the 1800s - I know nowt about taxidermy so have to take his word for it but they do look in great condition, as does all the other stuff. Its just the fact that I can stand there looking at it and imagine how all that stuff came out from the UK years ago....no Masons, Pickfords, and shipping insurance then
So glad I listened to Justin and went back today to ask about the museum, thats a pint I owe him

Sounds like you're having a really good time there, wish I had the time to go before I left Melb.
There's a ferry in St Kilda that takes you across and it's actually pretty reasonably priced. Me and the hubby had a look before Christmas see if we could go for a few days but it was fully booked. Hubby got offered work there too, there's meant to be a fair bit of construction going on at the docks. Unfortunately it was only two months work, so there was no point moving there for that.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:04 pm
Home and Happy

Sounds like you're having a really good time there, wish I had the time to go before I left Melb.
There's a ferry in St Kilda that takes you across and it's actually pretty reasonably priced. Me and the hubby had a look before Christmas see if we could go for a few days but it was fully booked. Hubby got offered work there too, there's meant to be a fair bit of construction going on at the docks. Unfortunately it was only two months work, so there was no point moving there for that.
Yep, jobs aren't easy to come by here unfortunately.
The Spirit (the ferry) is good, means you can drive right down the island to Hobart and see heaps, but keep your eye on flight prices from Sydney to Hobart, you might pick up a cheapy at some point cos they do happen sometimes
Well worth a visit!

Dawn reflected off Mount Wellington.....
Attached Thumbnails "Stumble Inn" - the Barbie's very own pub-10919057_10204319755771423_8419922137470158167_n.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.