Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Thanks Renth. BBC iplayer is technically crap but this is what you get when you have governments running things that they shouldn't

It's a pity as I'm off sick at the moment and there is plenty on the BBC to watch
Its been working on my lap top.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:25 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Renth. BBC iplayer is technically crap but this is what you get when you have governments running things that they shouldn't

It's a pity as I'm off sick at the moment and there is plenty on the BBC to watch
Agreed. The ITV player works pretty well on my nominally 1.4MBs connection (actually around 1.2MBs down / .25MBs up) but BBC buffers continually.

YouTube must do clever things like looking at your download speed and adjusting the resolution to make the viewing continuous - why the BBC can't is the question.

The BBC website as utterly appalling, too - trying to find anything is worse than trying to fix your printer or modem....
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Agreed. The ITV player works pretty well on my nominally 1.4MBs connection (actually around 1.2MBs down / .25MBs up) but BBC buffers continually.

YouTube must do clever things like looking at your download speed and adjusting the resolution to make the viewing continuous - why the BBC can't is the question.

The BBC website as utterly appalling, too - trying to find anything is worse than trying to fix your printer or modem....
iplayer on windows is pants - although you can download content to view offline. It is better on Smarthub and Roku

Technically, Netflix is the best because (as with YouTube) it adjusts quality to suit the connection rather than buffer
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

iplayer on windows is pants - although you can download content to view offline. It is better on Smarthub and Roku

Technically, Netflix is the best because (as with YouTube) it adjusts quality to suit the connection rather than buffer
Have you noticed that sometimes Youtube buffers but the ads never do? Different, better servers for the adverts. Netflix too, as you say, changes quality based on bandwidth, clever stuff and streets ahead of iPlayer.

I just bought a UK Roku from my latest trip. Looking forward to setting it up and seeing what's what.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Have you noticed that sometimes Youtube buffers but the ads never do? Different, better servers for the adverts. Netflix too, as you say, changes quality based on bandwidth, clever stuff and streets ahead of iPlayer.

I just bought a UK Roku from my latest trip. Looking forward to setting it up and seeing what's what.
You get that on 4oD and C5 as well sometimes - ads fine but programme buffers

I found my UK Roku a pain to setup. I had to do it via a VPN - which is not easy to do on a router. Big hassle but I got it done

Interestingly the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router that I recently got has a built in VPN function - the first time I've seen this on a consumer grade router

Latest device for me is an Amazon Fire TV box. A beautiful little piece of tech - and has the ability to change DNS locally
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Latest device for me is an Amazon Fire TV box. A beautiful little piece of tech - and has the ability to change DNS locally
I think I need one of those, and wait, that mean's I've run out of HDMI ports, looks like I need a new telly too, maybe a 4k one!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by renth
I think I need one of those, and wait, that mean's I've run out of HDMI ports, looks like I need a new telly too, maybe a 4k one!
Can't have too many HDMI ports

I'd love a new TV - but the minister of war and finance is putting a brake on that

I think the Fire TV is the nicest TV streamer out there ATM
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

With ZXCV just gone, I need another solution to getting British TV (BBC, ITV, C4 stuff only) on a TV (not PC) and a SIMPLE way to operate it after it is set-up as the wife needs to be able to use it once its set-up and I am away. Currently I have:

Telstra Velocity Broadband (very fast)
Media Server
WD Live Box
Several Sony Smart TV's

Is it easier to say just use Kickass torrents in a similar way to The Box/ZXCV or what would be the best suggestion at the moment?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
With ZXCV just gone, I need another solution to getting British TV (BBC, ITV, C4 stuff only) on a TV (not PC) and a SIMPLE way to operate it after it is set-up as the wife needs to be able to use it once its set-up and I am away. Currently I have:

Telstra Velocity Broadband (very fast)
Media Server
WD Live Box
Several Sony Smart TV's

Is it easier to say just use Kickass torrents in a similar way to The Box/ZXCV or what would be the best suggestion at the moment?
Haven't you read any of this thread?

Plenty of info on what BE people are doing to get content

Easiest, off the shelf way in Australia is a Samsung Bluray player with Smarthub - about $150
A DNS redirect service - about $4 a month

Loads of info online about how to do it

Easy peasy
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't you read any of this thread?
Most of it, but I drifted off to sleep when people started to discuss if plasma TV's are made any more.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Most of it, but I drifted off to sleep when people started to discuss if plasma TV's are made any more.
Samsung BR player is the way to go
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Samsung BR player is the way to go
Does it play all BluRay regions?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Wol
Does it play all BluRay regions?
That I don't know

maybe it can be hacked?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 11:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That I don't know

maybe it can be hacked?
I've hacked DVD players to make them multiregional but if I've got it right they are locked in software whereas BluRay players have hardware locking so are not amenable to change.

Having said that I have recently bought one of the few that *can* have the regional lock changed at will, although you do have to enter the region code whenever you watch a different region to that which is set.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 11:37 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have practical experiences of getting Now TV working in Oz?

I'm looking at getting one sent over (£12.50 with 4 months Entertainment package) primarily as a sit back way of accessing iPlayer/4OD.

The plan would be a SmartDNS service setup on the router, such that Now TV/Chromecast can access UK services (maybe US in future for Netflix). Maybe even two subnets with different DNS (if I can work out forcing DHCP to play ball), with a wifi access point driving them.

Seems like it's possible, but looking for gotchas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.