Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question. After reading this thread I bought a Samsung BD-H6500 from the Good Guys today ($160). We have managed to set up Netflix and Hulu+ by changing the country to USA but cannot access BBCiPlayer or ITVPlayer. Does the country have to be changed each time you want to change from Netflix to the BBC?
Jump in whenever you like. That's a good price for the Samsung - get another

Yes. Smarthub can only be used for one country at a time - as with most of these media streamers

The only ways to get multiple countries on one device are:
a home theatre PC
some models of Samsung smart TVs can be hacked to allow multiple countries but it is not straightforward
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Jump in whenever you like. That's a good price for the Samsung - get another

Yes. Smarthub can only be used for one country at a time - as with most of these media streamers

The only ways to get multiple countries on one device are:
a home theatre PC
some models of Samsung smart TVs can be hacked to allow multiple countries but it is not straightforward
Thanks for that. I can access ITV and BBC through the LG smart tv attached to the blu ray but itvplayer hangs when the adverts kick in and we get a bit of buffering with BBC. The most straightforward way we have found of having everything on the one device, without having to mess about changing regions, is the ps3.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I can access ITV and BBC through the LG smart tv attached to the blu ray but itvplayer hangs when the adverts kick in and we get a bit of buffering with BBC. The most straightforward way we have found of having everything on the one device, without having to mess about changing regions, is the ps3.
I find ITV, 4oD and C5 to be technically very poor - especially on windows (HTPC) - and the adverts! Wanky and boring - who said the Brits make good ads?

Don't know much about LG - will do some research
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Try the Samsung on UK settings - I've never had problems with their apps
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, I have no idea either, thank god for Amazulu.

Originally Posted by renth
I'd like to chip in. Samsung make great tellys but if anything at all goes wrong, you are 100% on your own, their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Do you know of any other decent makes?
Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's what people have to do if they live outside of the US and Uk and want to watch their TV - do people in the UK not use BBC iplayer, 4oD etc?

TV looks fine but is too small

Yeah I watch 4oD etc.. It's all in one place on the PS3.
We just plug it in, connect it to the TV and the jobs done.

I won't be able to use the PS3 to watch TV in Australia though I don't think.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:37 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I only get Panasonic, I'm a fan of their plasmas which sadly they don't make anymore.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

I only get Panasonic, I'm a fan of their plasmas which sadly they don't make anymore.

I've had a Panasonic in the past and they have been fine. (Forgot about them actually)

I have a plasma at the moment but it has a burn-in we are ready for a new one. Thing is there is that many to choose from where the heck do you start?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

If you're planning to buy a new telly, I'd definitely recommend you buy it in Australia. Prices compare quite favourably against UK prices here and you'll have all the warranties, etc

We have a 59 inch Samsung plasma that we bought soon after I began work in Australia. It's absolutely the nicest and most fully featured telly we've ever owned. I strongly recommend one

...But then again it's no mean feat compared with our previous telly: A cheap 28-incher that we snapped up in one of Tesco's "When it's gone it's gone" sales
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
If you're planning to buy a new telly, I'd definitely recommend you buy it in Australia. Prices compare quite favourably against UK prices here and you'll have all the warranties, etc

We have a 59 inch Samsung plasma that we bought soon after I began work in Australia. It's absolutely the nicest and most fully featured telly we've ever owned. I strongly recommend one

...But then again it's no mean feat compared with our previous telly: A cheap 28-incher that we snapped up in one of Tesco's "When it's gone it's gone" sales

Yeah I think it was Rasen78 who also told me to buy in Oz, she said they were cheaper there, it makes sense like you said because you have the warranties etc... .......Oi don't knock Tesco.....They do marvelous alarm clocks for lazy teenagers!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:38 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a Panasonic in the past and they have been fine. (Forgot about them actually)

I have a plasma at the moment but it has a burn-in we are ready for a new one. Thing is there is that many to choose from where the heck do you start?
Here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=186

You probably won't get a plasma anymore and they have stopped making them
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=186

You probably won't get a plasma anymore and they have stopped making them
Cheers, I'll have a read of that.

Hey did you know that plasmas use twice the electricity of an LCD? Just thought i'd share that. Maybe that might be one of the reasons why they don't make them anymore, because they aren't as economical as other types.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:34 am
(It's not my real name)

Cheers, I'll have a read of that.

Hey did you know that plasmas use twice the electricity of an LCD? Just thought i'd share that. Maybe that might be one of the reasons why they don't make them anymore, because they aren't as economical as other types.
Not the ones they were making at the end, early ones were power hungry. The last of the plasmas were better than the LCD/LEDs but it was marketing spin that made people not want them anymore.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

If you use a DNS service you will be able to watch tv through your PS3 in Australia. (Setting up a US profile on the PS3 will also allow you to access Netflix and Hulu.)
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Your PS3 will work here for internet TV
Old Jun 12th 2014, 2:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

I know it's not new but currently watching The Fall on Netflix

Top drama - easily as good as Happy Valley

Added benefit is that Gillian Anderson is MILF squared

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.