Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by renth
Mrs Renth and I watched episode 1. It was incredible!
Just watched part 6.

Nominally the final part 7 is next week - but the Blu Rays etc. have already been released.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 10:11 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone use the Amazon Fire TV in Australia?

Putting Prime aside for a moment, is it still possible to see the UK store and prices in GBP?
Old Dec 15th 2017, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

Putting Prime aside for a moment, is it still possible to see the UK store and prices in GBP?
I've got the full blown imported Amazon Fire TV from the US and found it bleeding useless, side loading Kodi etc... not sure how to isolate it from my network to give it it's own individual VPN.... plus if you muck around with it too much, rooting it etc, it's got some kind of safety burn out Efuse in it that renders the hardware useless. Spent many a wasted hour on it trying to get it to do what I want. Might come in handy if Amazon open up their full TV service here though so hanging on to it in hope. The worst device I own thusfar. Haven't the heart to tell my daughter who went miles into deepest LA to bring it back for me when it first came out.

So I've gone back to my android devices and chromecast which are far easier to manipulate and get around geo locks.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 15th 2017 at 2:29 am.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 4:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have a US version. It's okay but a bit underpowered - and Amazon are playing silly buggers with YouTube access. A basic version is available on Amazon AU

Don't muck about. Get one of these:
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini...056.html?wid=4

The best bang for buck available. There are better options (Intel NUC, Nvidia Shield) - but not at this price point. Shop around on different Chinese websites (Banggood, Wish, Ali Express etc)
Old Dec 19th 2017, 8:55 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Two quick questions for the technically-able:

1. Which device do your recommend for BBC (iPlayer) + ITV + C4 + C5 apps which would work in Australia?

2. When in Oz, which of the above channels offer only catch-up tv and which can be viewed live?
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

1. Which device do your recommend for BBC (iPlayer) + ITV + C4 + C5 apps which would work in Australia?

2. When in Oz, which of the above channels offer only catch-up tv and which can be viewed live?
I would recommend a Windows (preferably 10) or Linux-based mini PC such as the Intel NUC or one of its clones (available from the likes of Gearbest)

BBC iplayer for Windows is the best as you can download content to watch offline - and as the BBC is trying to restrict DNS redirects (or so it seems to me) - is often the only way to go. BBC, ITV Hub, C4 and C5 can be viewed in a browser - with Edge being my preferred option. Sign up for accounts for all of the above (use your last UK postcode)

I'm not totally sure but I think live viewing is available on all (some?) of them but is kind of pointless given the time difference - unless you like watching shitty UK afternoon TV shows in the evening here
Old Dec 20th 2017, 4:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Most of them. The trick is to make them look like they are in the UK.

Provided you can make them look like they are in the UK, then you can watch the live streams too.

The trick is to make them appear in the UK, since the broadcasters are getting worse by spotting VPN and smartDNS services and killing the connection. Current best approach is to own your own proxy redirector in the UK, so there's no obvious spike in usage, etc. - but that's decidedly techie.

As for device, I'd tend to go with a cheap box that can run Kodi. That way there is decent support, etc.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by sandra262
I`ve subscribed to Netflix
Recommend "The Crown" (new season just launched) and getting caught up on "Black Mirror" before the new season at the end of the month.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I would recommend a Windows (preferably 10) or Linux-based mini PC...
Forgot to add that I'd prefer a device that connects to the TV. Is the Now TV a good choice? I saw that it has all 4 main apps (BBC/ITV/4/5) and apparently they will work overseas either in conjunction with DNS masking or a router set up specifically for this purpose.

On a side note, JUST FOR NETFLIX, which separate tv device would be best-suited for an elderly person? I mean someone into their 90's (but still using Foxtel with ease).
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:14 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Forgot to add that I'd prefer a device that connects to the TV. Is the Now TV a good choice? I saw that it has all 4 main apps (BBC/ITV/4/5) and apparently they will work overseas either in conjunction with DNS masking or a router set up specifically for this purpose.
I have the old NowTV box, and have used it in the past, but not recently. Suitability again ties back to how you appear to be in the UK. When I used it I used a smartDNS to make it appear to be in the UK. Not sure if that would work anymore, though I guess you could still get it to point at a proxy to use a VPN tunnel. Haven't tried the newer NowTV box.

On a side note, JUST FOR NETFLIX, which separate tv device would be best-suited for an elderly person? I mean someone into their 90's (but still using Foxtel with ease).
You might find that a cheap tablet and a chromecast is easiest. Not only do you get the second screen, rather than mucking about with a remote, they could also watch a program on the tablet in bed. Not massively complex, you just remember to 'cast' the show to the TV screen.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 10:32 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Bought myself a Seedbox a few months ago and consequently have got memberships of a number of private trackers which has taken the lottery out of the downloads. Got sick of hard-coded Korean subtitles and it's nice to have that out of the way now, plus stuff appears on the private trackers days before KickAss/Piratebay etc. Piece of piss to use.

For the streaming stuff BBC iPlayer has been behaving erratically lately - won't work at all with UK DNS on the Apple TV, works intermittently on the iPhone and Mac. Reticent to move over to full VPN 24/7, but will if necessary. ITV player still works fine - ditto the other UK channels.

Stuff I've watched and enjoyed lately. Star Trek Discovery, Line of Duty (missed out on this for some reason so got all four seasons and binged them - really enjoyed it), Mr Mercedes, ST2, Peaky Blinders, Tin Star, Mindhunter. Also just finished watching Drugland on iPlayer - very shot (series of 10 minute episodes) but really interesting stuff.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

An Intel NUC can most definitely be connected to a TV - it as an HDMI output

I have a Now TV Box - it looks like a clone of the 1st gen Roku - and it is absolutely rubbish. Only cost GBP15 so not complaining

IMO Windows and Linux based boxes give the most flexibility and adaptability
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 10:30 am

I've been recommended a new Telstra TV box for this -apparently even the remote has a dedicated Netflix button!

Does anyone use one of these?
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 9:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

So Amazon are going to make Iain Banks Culture books into TV series/movies are they?

That could be interesting ......... or very, very disturbing.

Amazon Developing ‘Consider Phlebas’ as Fantasy Drama Series – Variety
Old Mar 16th 2018, 6:35 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Some numbers have come out on just how much Amazon Prime TV shows and movies can be worth to Amazon as a whole company.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1GR0FX

Looks like "The Grand Tour" was a real earner for them

One big winner was the motoring series “The Grand Tour,” which stars the former presenters of BBC’s “Top Gear.” The show had more than 1.5 million first streams from Prime members worldwide, at a cost of $49 per subscriber in its first season.
So that's 1.5m new Prime customers that Amazon can make money off, plus the future new customers, the IP, keeping customers locked in, etc. - from one series.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.