Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Nov 20th 2016, 11:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I have a huge Netflix backlog - been working my way through The Expanse, which is really good. Also need to finish The 100 and Continuum.

Not looked at The Crown yet...

S
Enjoyed the Expanse - hopefully there'll be a S02
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The Crown on Netflix is worth the viewing, if you like BBC Costume Dramas or know a little British history.

It's kind of pointing up a problem that the Beeb has. They wanted this show, it looks just like a Beeb production, but they weren't able to get anywhere near the money that Netflix could offer. $5m per hour basically matches the Grand Tour money-on-the-screen rate, way higher than the Beeb can manage. Then there's Black Mirror, that got pouched from C4.

If UK TV doesn't watch it, all the good stuff is going to end up with Netflix, Amazon, etc. - they need to up their game and go global quickly.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:09 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Enjoyed the Expanse - hopefully there'll be a S02

February 2017.

S
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:32 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
The Crown on Netflix is worth the viewing, if you like BBC Costume Dramas or know a little British history.

It's kind of pointing up a problem that the Beeb has. They wanted this show, it looks just like a Beeb production, but they weren't able to get anywhere near the money that Netflix could offer. $5m per hour basically matches the Grand Tour money-on-the-screen rate, way higher than the Beeb can manage. Then there's Black Mirror, that got pouched from C4.

If UK TV doesn't watch it, all the good stuff is going to end up with Netflix, Amazon, etc. - they need to up their game and go global quickly.

They could easily do this with a global subscription availability, but they have made that too hard for themselves as they will need to compensate all of the existing rights holders.

S
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It works on Chrome although Safari is supported

Best option is to get an Amazon Fire TV player or stick. They are currently not available locally (although that will probably change soon) but can be got off EBay - the best small box streaming solution IMO. Superb devices
Followed all instructions to get Prime video working on Safari with Silverlight but kept getting an error code 1002, can't play video message.

Installed and tried Chrome but got an error code 4601 which states it's a geographical licensing restriction. I suspect 1002 means the same but the message doesn't say that.

Anyway I tried to load lots of films and programs and virtually nothing works. In fact Grand Tour and one other Amazon original was all that did. There may be a few more but I'm not going to check the whole catalogue.

Amazon support made no comment as to why a non USA area was able to subscribe to Prime or about a December launch. Watch this space I suppose but if there is hardly any video content they aint gonna get many subscribers.

In the meantime I got a full refund from them with no hassle.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Followed all instructions to get Prime video working on Safari with Silverlight but kept getting an error code 1002, can't play video message.

Installed and tried Chrome but got an error code 4601 which states it's a geographical licensing restriction. I suspect 1002 means the same but the message doesn't say that.

Anyway I tried to load lots of films and programs and virtually nothing works. In fact Grand Tour and one other Amazon original was all that did. There may be a few more but I'm not going to check the whole catalogue.

Amazon support made no comment as to why a non USA area was able to subscribe to Prime or about a December launch. Watch this space I suppose but if there is hardly any video content they aint gonna get many subscribers.

In the meantime I got a full refund from them with no hassle.
You'll probably need to get a DNS service. It's really easy to do and then you can get access to the BBC, ITV, C4 etc
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
They could easily do this with a global subscription availability, but they have made that too hard for themselves as they will need to compensate all of the existing rights holders.

S
Indeed. The BBC could become a UK version of Netflix if they wanted to - they have the global reach and many people want to watch their stuff
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 8:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably need to get a DNS service. It's really easy to do and then you can get access to the BBC, ITV, C4 etc

I can use a VPN.

(I have no freedom to choose an ISP and they ban DNS services. They DNS hijack and have it locked down tight irrespective of any settings I change)
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 11:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Bix
I can use a VPN.

(I have no freedom to choose an ISP and they ban DNS services. They DNS hijack and have it locked down tight irrespective of any settings I change)
Wow, an ISP that bans DNS redirects? Bizarre. Which ISP is it?
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Wow, an ISP that bans DNS redirects? Bizarre. Which ISP is it?

I live in a resort and the owners are technically inept so contracted out everything to a third party communications company who run the PABX and all internet traffic.

Whatever they say the owner supports irrespective of common sense and logic.
It's a take it or leave it proprietary scenario. The local exchange is Telstra only so I suppose they are effectively a Telstra Wholesaler.

They have everything screwed down to make their life easy. We can only use their modem but have no access to it. They use OpenDNS to block DNS and VPN sites.

I've fought them for the last 5 months and failed to get DNS but at least have won ground on VPN use. Don't have a full choice only those not offering any proxy services.

Unfortunately we are also in a bit of a communications black spot otherwise I could have looked at going mobile with Optus or Vodaphone but can't get their signals. Telstra mobile is too expensive.

Roll on NBN but that's 2 years away for us.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoyed ep1 of Grand Tour. Settled down to watch ep2 and thought it was one great big yawn. They've really been labouring some of their jokes - such as the one about the best airforce in the world in the first episode and the special forces bit in ep2. Just about to start on season 3 of the excellent The Americans. Really enjoyed the first episode of Who Do You Think You Are on BBC iPlayer - pissed myself laughing at Danny Dyer.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Enjoyed ep1 of Grand Tour. Settled down to watch ep2 and thought it was one great big yawn. They've really been labouring some of their jokes - such as the one about the best airforce in the world in the first episode and the special forces bit in ep2.
Personally I preferred ep2 to ep1, but that's kind of the point - satisfying their different audiences.
Originally Posted by Hutch
Really enjoyed the first episode of Who Do You Think You Are on BBC iPlayer - pissed myself laughing at Danny Dyer.
I detest the over the top mockney - but his tune changed when he found he could trace his roots (via a circuitous route) back to Henry III.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 8:39 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that Netflix now allows you to download certain shows. Has anyone checked it out yet?

Pretty useful when travelling I guess, as you can fill your tablet up with content, but I'm curious as to whether solutions will appear that allow you to download content for evening viewing on the telly, bypassing the evening congestion when every kid and his dog are streaming stuff.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 9:16 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by astera
Interesting that Netflix now allows you to download certain shows. Has anyone checked it out yet?

Pretty useful when travelling I guess, as you can fill your tablet up with content, but I'm curious as to whether solutions will appear that allow you to download content for evening viewing on the telly, bypassing the evening congestion when every kid and his dog are streaming stuff.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can download 4K content to avoid the limitations of Trunbull's NBN-lite.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:12 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't NBN-lite attributed mainly to his predecessor, the one whose specially-shaped and enlarged ears probably supplement the Echelon surveillance network?

I think the 4k limitation is to keep the file size reasonable for what is essentially phone/tablet use only for now. Plus I don't think any of the traditional outlets that sell content like iTunes or Google Play even have 4k yet, so for now it seems it's destined for streaming only.

P.S. Saw a good new show recently on Netflix titled 3%. It's one of those futuristic, dystopian shows much like Trepalium, though I thought of it more like something between the films Cube and The Maze Runner. Just make sure you have the ORIGINAL language version set (Portuguese as it's Netflix's first original series to be fully produced in Brazil) with English subtitles. Apparently if you don't do this you get the dubbed version (English) which is atrocious...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.