Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by GarryP
Does anyone have practical experiences of getting Now TV working in Oz?

I'm looking at getting one sent over (£12.50 with 4 months Entertainment package) primarily as a sit back way of accessing iPlayer/4OD.

The plan would be a SmartDNS service setup on the router, such that Now TV/Chromecast can access UK services (maybe US in future for Netflix). Maybe even two subnets with different DNS (if I can work out forcing DHCP to play ball), with a wifi access point driving them.

Seems like it's possible, but looking for gotchas.
Sorry I don't understand what that means but I do have Now TV. It was useless for the Sky content as the buffering made it unwatchable. However, it works perfectly for iPlayer/4OD etc. As ITV Player is now also available through the Now TV box it is much easier to use this for Uk content rather than switching regions on the blu ray player. So we have Netflix and Hulu+ on Samsung blu ray and Uk content on Now TV box. In another room we have everything on a PS3. We use Unotelly - very easy to switch between Netflix regions (and switch off sub titles) with them.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Sorry I don't understand what that means but I do have Now TV. It was useless for the Sky content as the buffering made it unwatchable. However, it works perfectly for iPlayer/4OD etc. As ITV Player is now also available through the Now TV box it is much easier to use this for Uk content rather than switching regions on the blu ray player. So we have Netflix and Hulu+ on Samsung blu ray and Uk content on Now TV box. In another room we have everything on a PS3. We use Unotelly - very easy to switch between Netflix regions (and switch off sub titles) with them.
Do you use unblock-us or a different service to get the Now TV to work?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
We use UnoTelly. US$4.95 per month. Tried Unblock Us when we first got the box but for some reason it wouldn't work with them.
I am looking at subscribing to beIn sport (used to be Al Jazeera Sports) or Star Sports for the football season. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:41 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't understand what that means
One DNS for normal machines, and another, separate one setup to a SmartDNS for the media stuff.

but I do have Now TV. It was useless for the Sky content as the buffering made it unwatchable. However, it works perfectly for iPlayer/4OD etc. As ITV Player is now also available through the Now TV box it is much easier to use this for Uk content rather than switching regions on the blu ray player.
Yep, lots of complaints about buffering. Apparently they did something around May that fixed much of it - and for £2.50 for 4 months, its not going to break the bank.

We use Unotelly - very easy to switch between Netflix regions (and switch off sub titles) with them.
Seems to be a lot of SmartDNS providers around, but prices also seem to be drifting upwards. Most seem to support NowTV/iPlayer. I intend to take advantage of free trials to see which one works best.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 12:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We use UnoTelly. US$4.95 per month. Tried Unblock Us when we first got the box but for some reason it wouldn't work with them.
I am looking at subscribing to beIn sport (used to be Al Jazeera Sports) or Star Sports for the football season. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
I'm using a trial UnoTelly subscription and now 4OD works on my UK Roku! It works well too. The BBC iPlayer on the UK Roku is loads better than on the WDTV too. I'll be cancelling my Unblock-us sub.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

I'm using a trial UnoTelly subscription and now 4OD works on my UK Roku! It works well too. The BBC iPlayer on the UK Roku is loads better than on the WDTV too. I'll be cancelling my Unblock-us sub.
That's good. We have been using the service since January and have had no problems so far. We have to update our ip address regularly but it only involves a couple of mouse clicks so no problem.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Any issues with getflix.com.au I should know about?

I'm planning to try out a few free trials when I get the NowTV delivered, and getflix is cheaper and local (although they have raised prices recently).

BTW NowTV box is £12.50 at the moment in Argos, with 4 months of Entertainment channels. Rumour says the NowTV channels can buffer for no readily apparent reason, but that the iPlayer etc work OK.

If the NowTV channels don't buffer, then it seems like it's cheaper to buy the boxes than actually buy the subscriptions....which since you can have 4 devices on one account means you could have one one easy telly in the house, as an easy way of accessing both iPlayer AND Plex.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:40 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by GarryP
Any issues with getflix.com.au I should know about?
Hi, I'm not familiar with getflix so can't help with that.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Samsung BR player is the way to go
Cheeky question...but do you know if I buy a Samsung TV with Smart TV Hub built in, will it connect the same way without doing through the BR player?

Ignore this question....just saw another comment from you "If you have a couple of grand to play with get a Samsung Smart TV - the very best, one piece of kit solution IMO"

I think the new Samsung Smart TV will be the way I'll go!

Last edited by Red_V_Roger; Aug 11th 2014 at 12:13 am. Reason: Already answered!
Old Aug 11th 2014, 1:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Cheeky question...but do you know if I buy a Samsung TV with Smart TV Hub built in, will it connect the same way without doing through the BR player?

Ignore this question....just saw another comment from you "If you have a couple of grand to play with get a Samsung Smart TV - the very best, one piece of kit solution IMO"

I think the new Samsung Smart TV will be the way I'll go!
If you can afford it, a Samsung Smart TV is the easiest and simplest solution for getting streaming media

Have fun!
Old Sep 13th 2014, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else having problems with Overplay/Samsumg Smarthub connecting to BBC, ITV etc over the last few days? Occasionally I can get BBC to connect and play, but most of the time it and the others aren't working.

I have a static IP address, so cannot be that issue.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 9:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Anyone else having problems with Overplay/Samsumg Smarthub connecting to BBC, ITV etc over the last few days? Occasionally I can get BBC to connect and play, but most of the time it and the others aren't working.

I have a static IP address, so cannot be that issue.
I find the BBC TV site is dreadful - even if you manage to find the right page and program, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 10:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I find the BBC TV site is dreadful - even if you manage to find the right page and program, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Yep. Technically, the UK sites and apps are shite

BBC is bad but 4od and ITV are worse
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:43 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The new season of Walking Dead began on Sunday. The first episode kicks ass!

And for those with a calmer disposition, a new series of Apprentice begins tonight
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by paulry
The new season of Walking Dead began on Sunday. The first episode kicks ass!

And for those with a calmer disposition, a new series of Apprentice begins tonight
Still not got into that - might try again

Gotham is good as well

Enjoying The Driver on BBC iplayer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.