Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Dec 16th 2013, 8:21 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Where did you order it from?

GBP25 with 3 months Sky movies:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/now-tv-b...skuId=758-7109

GBP15 with a Sky Sports pass:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/now-tv-b...skuId=300-0594
I bought it from here. Was tempted to buy one of the bundles with it but decided to check it all works fine here first.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 12:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I bought it from here. Was tempted to buy one of the bundles with it but decided to check it all works fine here first.
I'm assuming that you're getting delivered to a UK address?
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming that you're getting delivered to a UK address?
Yes, and then it'll be forwarded to me here. It'll be cool if I can get the main UK channels plus Sky - all on-demand, here
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:26 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently spent a bit of time getting set up for this. I've built an HTPC and have been experimenting with different services and options

I have found that with Win7, Firefox is the best browser to use. On Win8.1, IE11 is the way and that this will be the best combination going forward as Netflix are working with Microsoft to improve streaming. I have an adequate ADSL2+ service but have experienced some buffering issues. The combinations I've mentioned have addressed these issues

I don't use a VPN but a DNS service - currently smartyDNS on a 6 month free trial. After that it's about $45 a year

BBC iplayer - great setup. It has the ability to download shows and to also watch in HD. The BBC is still the best for quality TV but they also show a lot of crap too
4oD (Channel 4) - also good but have to watch ads before and during shows - viewing crappy ads for shit you can't buy is boring but then their service is only directed at UK viewers
Channel 5 - only about 10-20% of what they broadcast is watchable, the rest is crud
ITV - same as Channel 5
Netflix - on a free trial and it's great
Hulu - same as Netflix. Both are very cheap when not on a freebie
HBO go - how can I get this? It really does look great

I've not yet managed to set up iplayer or hulu on my WDTV. I will probably get a Roku 3 for the bedroom

I would say that UK TV is still the best in the world - just. Some great stuff but also so much rubbish - an obsession with reality TV and consumer affairs programmes. America is now making more of what I want to watch and the UK less. I'm now set up with what I want to see. We never watch 7, 9 and 10 - ABC only, usually iview. We go for specific content and the thought of just sitting down and watching what's on is now alien to me
I'm desperate for HBO Go. If you find out how to get it, please let me know
Old Dec 17th 2013, 11:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I'm desperate for HBO Go. If you find out how to get it, please let me know
It's not easy but there are people on Whirlpool who are getting HBO Go. I think you need to pay someone with a US cable subscription

Didn't someone post about getting HBO Nordic (with an english option)?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:19 am
Banned

I have the Now TV box. It took a bit of perseverance to set it up properly but every feature works at last! Very cool.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

I have the Now TV box. It took a bit of perseverance to set it up properly but every feature works at last! Very cool.
I have ordered one of these and some sports passes to replace Foxtel. I was intending to set it up (in reality get my 16 year old to do it as I have no idea!) with unblockus but have read on whirlpool that they do not support Now Tv. Can you let me know what you used to set it up.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:33 pm
Banned

tmxdj is an unknown quantity at this point

I've recently spent a bit of time getting set up for this. I've built an HTPC and have been experimenting with different services and options

I have found that with Win7, Firefox is the best browser to use. On Win8.1, IE11 is the way and that this will be the best combination going forward as Netflix are working with Microsoft to improve streaming. I have an adequate ADSL2+ service but have experienced some buffering issues. The combinations I've mentioned have addressed these issues

I don't use a VPN but a DNS service - currently smartyDNS on a 6 month free trial. After that it's about $45 a year

BBC iplayer - great setup. It has the ability to download shows and to also watch in HD. The BBC is still the best for quality TV but they also show a lot of crap too
4oD (Channel 4) - also good but have to watch ads before and during shows - viewing crappy ads for shit you can't buy is boring but then their service is only directed at UK viewers
Channel 5 - only about 10-20% of what they broadcast is watchable, the rest is crud
ITV - same as Channel 5
Netflix - on a free trial and it's great
Hulu - same as Netflix. Both are very cheap when not on a freebie
HBO go - how can I get this? It really does look great

I've not yet managed to set up iplayer or hulu on my WDTV. I will probably get a Roku 3 for the bedroom

I would say that UK TV is still the best in the world - just. Some great stuff but also so much rubbish - an obsession with reality TV and consumer affairs programmes. America is now making more of what I want to watch and the UK less. I'm now set up with what I want to see. We never watch 7, 9 and 10 - ABC only, usually iview. We go for specific content and the thought of just sitting down and watching what's on is now alien to me
How about IPTV services from overseas. Not necessarily foxtel or whatever!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:26 am
Banned

Is anyone else suddenly having having hassles with Netflix today?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone else suddenly having having hassles with Netflix today?
Can't help, sorry. I've been shaped, again.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by renth
Can't help, sorry. I've been shaped, again.
shaped?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:10 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

shaped?
Exceeded my 250 Gigs this month and reduced to 256k download speed.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:27 pm
Banned

Blimey, I'm surprised you can use so much in less than a month. How long til your next allocation?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

250Gb is not enough. I've now got 500Gb with iinet - and I use it
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

Blimey, I'm surprised you can use so much in less than a month. How long til your next allocation?
It resets Sunday. I usually hit the 250 gigs most months. I hardly ever watch "regular" TV. What I do watch is Netflix, Hulu, iPlayer - all in high def, it chews through data. I'm going to have to upgrade to 500 gigs, like Amazulu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.