Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?

Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?

Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?

Originally Posted by donna
We are in Redland Bay and the rain (an inch) came under my front door,it also came through closed windows it was so hard,i spent two hours mopping up,i must admit i did leave the upstairs patio door open as well.It also shorted out my electric sockets cos the rain got in and its f%@# a telly as well.
Oh well.
donna
It's the time of year when you close up the windows if you leave the house, just in case of a storm.

WW
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
It's the time of year when you close up the windows if you leave the house, just in case of a storm.

WW
I know that now!
donna
Old Dec 8th 2005, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

OOOO I can't wait Anne, I just can't. U will probably crap myself over there now lol

lace x
Old Dec 8th 2005, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably crap myself not U.

I must get some sleep
hugs Lace x

Need a bloody CO that is what I need Mm mm
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I've got to wonder. On the one hand I've got people in work saying this is the normal summer storms and last year was freaky for the lack of storms.

But on the other hand we hear statistics like the ones about the storms in Noosa last week, saying it was the highest rainfall for 100 years. Also if this is the norm, how come it makes the news everytime? And why do the locals get all excited about it, and then act all nonchalant the next day and say yeah, thats normal weather?

And why do peoples houses flood if this is normal. Surely they'd have got that problem sorted out years ago instead of having their houses flooded for 3 months of the year

I think violent storms like these are about as common as snow in the UK. i.e. they happen, but they are rare enough to be a talking point / seriously disrupt things.

The two summer prior to last one were very much like this one, very stormy, except one was way hotter, storms are definately much more frequent than snow in the UK, these storms are often daily.

So like you said why all the TV coverage, floods, powercuts, disruption, I suppose because it is so intense, for three months here weather does dominate the news, it might be bushfires down south or storms up here but the weather does make major news in summer, often I suppose because the weather causes a lot of $$$ damage as well as major chaos.

We got the storm up here about 8pm, lost power till 11.30 we got so bored with no power again we ended up doing emergency drills with kids having them work out what they would do in the event of bushfire, flood or cyclone. They had the SES visit the school a while back and they told them to have exit and emergency plans but had never got round to it, so last night was great, and bit of a laugh.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The two summer prior to last one were very much like this one, very stormy, except one was way hotter, storms are definately much more frequent than snow in the UK, these storms are often daily.

So like you said why all the TV coverage, floods, powercuts, disruption, I suppose because it is so intense, for three months here weather does dominate the news, it might be bushfires down south or storms up here but the weather does make major news in summer, often I suppose because the weather causes a lot of $$$ damage as well as major chaos.

We got the storm up here about 8pm, lost power till 11.30 we got so bored with no power again we ended up doing emergency drills with kids having them work out what they would do in the event of bushfire, flood or cyclone. They had the SES visit the school a while back and they told them to have exit and emergency plans but had never got round to it, so last night was great, and bit of a laugh.
I always end up pregnant after a power cut! Hubby is going to buy a generator!
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:42 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Power out here last night, came on again at about 3am, very windy & lots of lightning etc but not even half as much rain as we had in last Sundays storm.

ADL, this is very normal, as J&R said, we have this all the time in summer, doubt that they have snow anywhere near as many times in winter as we have storms in summer (I think it averages about 40 or 50 storms/year? something like that). Some have more rain than others, which is why you can never predict something like the storm that hit Noosa, how can you predict 10 inches of rain?

The reason that it makes the news is the because, as has been mentioned, it causes alot of damage, but also simply because people want to see it!

Lynn - you might have to leave the pantry door open all the time for your dog, an hour is definitely normal .
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Did you see on the news last night, the two window cleaners got stuck in their cradle three quarters of the way up the skyscraper in Brisbane. See here:

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E952,00.html
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by glittababe
I always end up pregnant after a power cut! Hubby is going to buy a generator!
Given the frequency of power outages in Brisvegas are you sure it's just a generator you need?

93,000 houses without power last night and 3000 lightning strikes.

WW
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:53 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
ADL, this is very normal, as J&R said, we have this all the time in summer, doubt that they have snow anywhere near as many times in winter as we have storms in summer (I think it averages about 40 or 50 storms/year? something like that). Some have more rain than others, which is why you can never predict something like the storm that hit Noosa, how can you predict 10 inches of rain?

The reason that it makes the news is the because, as has been mentioned, it causes alot of damage, but also simply because people want to see it!

Really what I was getting at was on the one hand everyone being shocked by the effects of the storms, and on the other saying its normal. As an example, our neighbours came round after last weeks storms to complain that the water was running off our land and into their house flooding it. They have lived there 20 years, so is this news to them? They live on a lower bit of the slope than us, due to gravity of course the water is going to run across our land onto theirs. If those were normal storms, then it must happen 40 or 50 times a year. Why suddenly complain now?

Or were they abnormal storms, but everyone just tried to say they were normal ?Which is it?

Personally I think, they were extreme, and storms of that type probably only occur once or twice a storm season, in which case, very much like snow in the UK (well the bits of the UK I'm from)

Cheers,
Old Dec 9th 2005, 1:19 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Really what I was getting at was on the one hand everyone being shocked by the effects of the storms, and on the other saying its normal. As an example, our neighbours came round after last weeks storms to complain that the water was running off our land and into their house flooding it. They have lived there 20 years, so is this news to them? They live on a lower bit of the slope than us, due to gravity of course the water is going to run across our land onto theirs. If those were normal storms, then it must happen 40 or 50 times a year. Why suddenly complain now?

Or were they abnormal storms, but everyone just tried to say they were normal ?Which is it?

Personally I think, they were extreme, and storms of that type probably only occur once or twice a storm season, in which case, very much like snow in the UK (well the bits of the UK I'm from)

Cheers,
If you are talking only about the amount of rain that falls, I've already said, the amount of rain is unpredictable, the amount we got last Sunday was twice that you would get in a *normal* storm. 1 to 2 inches in a storm is normal, 4" (or 10) in an hour isnt!

However apart from last Sundays (& Noosas) herculean effort in the rainfall stakes, the other storms (& aspects of those storms, wind, lightning, thunder, frequency etc) have been fairly normal. As even the SES have said, it looks like a fairly normal summer.

Anything that is newsworthy will make the news. Wait til we get the ones that take the roof off hundreds of houses!
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:09 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad it missed us, but know what you mean about the water effect. Every time it rains the back of ours turns into waterfalls, luckiy we rent as it is the owners problem. They have built the houses in a stepped style so couldn't expect anything else I think but don't seem to have taken run off into account at all... .

A few locals have said it is worse than normal storm season but I supose you can't quite measure it like snow.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:09 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,
I'd agree - all the australians at my work said that was the worst storm they had encountered in 3 years and that they were actually a bit frightened. The people who felt the storms were bad all lived between Redland bay and Logan - I don't think it was the volume of rain here that was extreme but the electrical activity/ frenzy that was going on - visibility was almost zero outside at the worst point. My dog saw a cloud today and something banged in the house and she ran and hid in the pantry again for over an hour - my hubbie couldn't get her back out poor thing!

Lynn
Old Dec 9th 2005, 7:24 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Another storm firing up here at the moment...thank God..

Must remember to turn off Austar this time....couldnt stand another week of free tv :scared:

Last edited by Del Boy; Dec 9th 2005 at 7:27 am.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We currently have two guys from work out in a place called Aramac, near Longreach, assessing damamge and working with local people. They have sent this website link - click on the photo link to see some pics of storm damage in a Qld town last week.........

http://www.aramac.qld.gov.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.