Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?

Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:01 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?

Can see it looming in from the city looks dark already, here we go again... .
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?

came in fast and furious didnt it

we were racing in from the city and could see the rain and storm following us to Wellington Point. We got into the house with about 90 seconds to spare - phew. And that is no exageration.

Wonder when the power will cut out.

Anyway i am in for a fun night. My friend is flying back to the UK tonight and guess who has to drive her to the airport......me :scared:

michelle
xxx
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:20 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Unycorne

Anyway i am in for a fun night. My friend is flying back to the UK tonight and guess who has to drive her to the airport......me :scared:

michelle
xxx
Stick them on a train to the CBD and then they can get the airtrain.

Seriously if it was going to stay like this, I wouldn't drive in it. I've just drove back to Ormiston in it, and the visibility was literally zero at some point, and lots of debris blowing horizontally across the road.

But luckily it looks like quite a short storm. (famous last words )
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau

Can see it looming in from the city looks dark already, here we go again... .
Just a bit of rain thats all (not to be confused with drizzle)

Power went off here at 3.45 well before there was any noise.

Sky is now a nice yellow.

First photo is towards Viccie Point the second is towards the city (kind of).

WW
Attached Thumbnails Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?-dsc02452.jpg   Storms here again I wonder what tonights brings?-dsc02454.jpg  

Last edited by wanderingwombat; Dec 8th 2005 at 7:39 am.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Just a bit of rain thats all (not to be confused with drizzle)

Power went off here at 3.45 well before there was any noise.

Sky is now a nice yellow.

WW

The storms not too bad here, but as you say the sky is yellow very strange!!

Sue x
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:30 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Stick them on a train to the CBD and then they can get the airtrain.

Seriously if it was going to stay like this, I wouldn't drive in it. I've just drove back to Ormiston in it, and the visibility was literally zero at some point, and lots of debris blowing horizontally across the road.

But luckily it looks like quite a short storm. (famous last words )
Yeah it doesn't seem like ths storms we had last week but it did come in fast. The thunder isn't as loud but trhe lightening is the bit that worries me :scared: Mind you don't like being on my own when Rich is at work just with it would storm on days when hes on early shift not on lates like tonight its horrible.

Our sky here in Cleveland is a funny greeny / yellow colour really strange.
Wander how long its gonna last.
I wouldn't drive in it either Michelle cos you never know how hard it is gonna come down (the rain I mean ) Take care though hunny

Ang
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Yeah it doesn't seem like ths storms we had last week but it did come in fast. The thunder isn't as loud but trhe lightening is the bit that worries me :scared: Mind you don't like being on my own when Rich is at work just with it would storm on days when hes on early shift not on lates like tonight its horrible.

Our sky here in Cleveland is a funny greeny / yellow colour really strange.
Wander how long its gonna last.
I wouldn't drive in it either Michelle cos you never know how hard it is gonna come down (the rain I mean ) Take care though hunny

Ang
Not sure what yellow means but green is usually a sign of hail. Storm season builds from now peaking when it gets hot in about february. Well unless its like last summer when it didnt get hot or stormy, must have been rare everyone was commenting on it, think this is more the norm, was just looking at this storm tracker
http://info.energex.com.au/tracker/a...ingtracker.asp

You cant see bayside for lightening

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 8th 2005 at 8:03 am.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

wow that went and quick as it arrived. I have to say that i have never seen clouds of rain like that before. Amazing to watch.

The photos are brilliant and the rainbow was something else wasnt it.

I am feeling a little happier about driving to the airport now. Was nearly going to try to re-schedule my friends flight. there was no way i was going to drive in that weather

michelle
xxx
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:21 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
think this is more the norm, was just looking at this storm tracker
http://info.energex.com.au/tracker/a...ingtracker.asp

You cant see bayside for lightening
I've got to wonder. On the one hand I've got people in work saying this is the normal summer storms and last year was freaky for the lack of storms.

But on the other hand we hear statistics like the ones about the storms in Noosa last week, saying it was the highest rainfall for 100 years. Also if this is the norm, how come it makes the news everytime? And why do the locals get all excited about it, and then act all nonchalant the next day and say yeah, thats normal weather?

And why do peoples houses flood if this is normal. Surely they'd have got that problem sorted out years ago instead of having their houses flooded for 3 months of the year

I think violent storms like these are about as common as snow in the UK. i.e. they happen, but they are rare enough to be a talking point / seriously disrupt things.

Last edited by A dogs life; Dec 8th 2005 at 8:28 am.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Last year was unusual - thats from the Bureau of Met. These are more like the "normal" storms, though they are quite early. The guys at work (emergency Services) are all saying this is more like Qld weather than last summer was - normal patterns of SES calls, Disaster Relief appeals etc.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

And why do peoples houses flood if this is normal. Surely they'd have got that problem sorted out years ago instead of having their houses flooded for 3 months of the year
There are a number of areas low/flat/creek/riverside/etc that are prone to having a good wash every now and again. The Norman Creek at Stones Corner is known to flash flood for example. At least the car yard can sell off cheaply. There are plenty of other locations in Brisbane, just look at the terrain. A lifeboat on davits can also be a giveaway

Brisbane city council was looking at buying back (200?) houses in flood prone land but couldnt afford it.

I think violent storms like these are about as common as snow in the UK. i.e. they happen, but they are rare enough to be a talking point / seriously disrupt things.
Brisbane has more storms per year than the UK has snow! Just look at how many storms so far this summer......

What we havent had yet is some storms preceded by big thunderhead cloud formations. They can be really amazing to view especially in the late afternoon light as they change colour. The storm follows later.....

Keep the camera batteries charged.

WW
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We were out in the storm unfortunately but at least we were in the car. My daughter really liked the rainbow as she said she has never seen a whole rainbow before and the sun was peeping out from a cloud in such a way it was like a floodlight low in the sky. Pleased it passed quickly though.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:32 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mand8002
We were out in the storm unfortunately but at least we were in the car. My daughter really liked the rainbow as she said she has never seen a whole rainbow before and the sun was peeping out from a cloud in such a way it was like a floodlight low in the sky. Pleased it passed quickly though.
Do you call over an hour of violent lightening and rain quick!!??? Maybe it lasted longer here in Redland Bay - we had over an hour of continuous electrical activity and lightening with the thunder following very loudly almost immediately after (ie. right above the area!). We also had the yellow sky then a beautiful rainbow - weird!

My poor dog is still shaking - she went and hid in the pantry cupboard under the shelve!

Lynn
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml

good link to let you know when storms are coming

dave
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

We are in Redland Bay and the rain (an inch) came under my front door,it also came through closed windows it was so hard,i spent two hours mopping up,i must admit i did leave the upstairs patio door open as well.It also shorted out my electric sockets cos the rain got in and its f%@# a telly as well.
Oh well.
donna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.