Reload this Page >

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:56 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stop saying HOME!!!!

Originally Posted by Wendy
Why do people have to get so nasty
Tony was OK, Simon Bates was the real villian.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Tony was OK, Simon Bates was the real villian.

Yeah, agreed
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, agreed
Nah - DLT was the bad 'un. That beard .... urgh ...
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I can never understand why people have to bring the weather into it. Just because people have returned to their roots, doesn't mean to say they won't still enjoy the banter that goes on here. People join forums for many things, sport, health issues, cookery etc.etc., so why not keep up to date with friends you may have made on BE?
The weather thing was a light-hearted throw-away comment - should have included a smiley - my bad. But the core of what I said stands - people seem to need to justify their move back to the UK by coming back here and arguing the toss. I'd take your point if they were responding to all the posts on this forum, but they don't - they primarily get involved in (admittedly provocative) ones like this. I have no beef with people who move back to the UK - each to their own and all that - just wish people would quit saying how happy they were now that they'd returned and then display all the outwards signs of someone who's most definitely not content.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:23 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve Right in the afternoon! ...
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nah - DLT was the bad 'un. That beard .... urgh ...

Forgot about him. ON PURPOSE
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:27 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Didn't mind him and his 'posse' actually ... certainly better than 'Ohhhh Gary Davies On Your Radio'
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Aw I used to love him! The DJ's here think they're funny but they're bloomin terrible.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:12 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

The weather thing was a light-hearted throw-away comment - should have included a smiley - my bad. But the core of what I said stands - people seem to need to justify their move back to the UK by coming back here and arguing the toss. I'd take your point if they were responding to all the posts on this forum, but they don't - they primarily get involved in (admittedly provocative) ones like this. I have no beef with people who move back to the UK - each to their own and all that - just wish people would quit saying how happy they were now that they'd returned and then display all the outwards signs of someone who's most definitely not content.
I know it was Hutch and I wasn't getting at you, just the same as you aren't getting at everyone who has returned home but still like to post on BE. Many in 'The Lounge' that have gone home from countries all over the world still post to have a banter with mates. It's nice to hear how they are getting on. I just wish people would stop harking on about the weather. People who have returned already know what the weather is like in each country they have lived in, so it obviously wasn't an issue for them when making their ultimate decision.

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
Aw I used to love him! The DJ's here think they're funny but they're bloomin terrible.
Aren't they just and it takes 3 of them on some stations too. Why?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:45 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

OK,OK!!!

I'll enlarge a fair bit on my original post.

My underlying sentiments are the same but I apologize for the manner in which I came across.
I should have included the comments in a more generalistic thread with a bit more humour injected.

If I feel I am wrong I will say so - no mistake.

This last week I have had call to go shopping a fair bit,during this time I have overheard an awful lot of ex-pat/pom conversations (funny how you pick up on the accents).Nearly all of these conversations were the "Back home" variety with a fair bit of whingeing mixed in.After a few days if I heard an accent from "Back home" I walked the other way.

Last night Mrs Tyke and I went out to the local pub for a few beers with our bunch of Aussie mates.These guys are amazing,true blue Aussies in every sense.One of whom is a real man of the land/cowboy type - think "Man from Snowy River
All of this lot have accepted us into their lives without question and we feel very proud to be accepted.

During the evening on the next few tables was a large crowd of very vocal and noisy ex-pats - think Torremelinos
Many loud and derogatory comments were made regarding this fine county - anything from complaining about the heat (what a suprise!) to the cost of living here (disillusioned it sounded)Mrs Tyke and I became quite angry but decided to keep quiet for peace's sake.
What really did hurt was the look on our Aussie mate's faces,they were both angry and squirming at the comments from the ex-pats.Due to us - I was told later they did keep quiet as well in respect to us.

So there I was returning home with not just a few Bundy Rums under my belt (as noticed by one poster) - seething that such a thing can happen in my friend's own country.
Perhaps I'll cool off a little before posting next time.

Please put yourself in our situation if immigrants were slagging off your home country - seems different now doesn't it??

A few years ago we became Australian Citizens,one of the proudest moments of our lives.
It did mean the culmination of our move here.We could vote and become involved with local council politics and decisions and last but not least they can't send us back
I ended up with a bruised back from all the congratulatory back slapping by our Aussie friendsAlso lots of congratulations by our ex-pat mates.

I can appreciate remembering your homeland and not forgetting your roots - I have not.But the UK has changed significantly in the 7.5 years I have lived in Oz.I probably would not fit in!I look forward and don't dwell too much on the past.

I've had a fair bit of contact with Australian officials in the area of migration and know how they think.On my very first meeting when we were applying for our visa I was told this... "You will be given the opportunity to settle and live here - that is not a right". It did stick with me.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:59 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tyke
OK,OK!!!

Please put yourself in our situation if immigrants were slagging off your home country - seems different now doesn't it??
No it doesn't they were having a moan so what, maybe they should bottle it all up instead of getting it off their chests.

Some things aren't as good here as back home some are better, do you get the hump when you hear people saying things are better here? I bet you don't.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by fraser
No it doesn't they were having a moan so what, maybe they should bottle it all up instead of getting it off their chests.

Some things aren't as good here as back home some are better, do you get the hump when you hear people saying things are better here? I bet you don't.
Of course it cuts both ways. That said, I'd feel every bit as embarrassed as Tyke in the same situation ... indeed I've been in the same situation. The kind of loud, I don't give a shit who hears me, whinging is the same sort of thing you hear from the certain Brits on holiday. The sort of knobs who complain that they can't get a decent full-english in Cyprus - or that the tea doesn't taste right in France. I'd rather lop a leg off and dangle my bollocks in hot chip fat than be associated with people like that.

If, in the situation that Tyke describes above, an Aussie had delivered *the* classic and oft-repeated line to 'em - I wouldn't have complained - in fact I'd be more likely to give him a round of applause. And if I hear half-truths and bollocks being said about the UK, I put people straight too. Friend of ours kept banging on about all Brits having 'geezer teeth' - I pointed out to her that there was free dental health care in the UK and that it was therefore far more likely that aussies would have a mouth full of rotten stumps (given the cost of dentists here) than your average pom. I also pointed out that her BF had a right shonky set of gnashers and she promptly shut up.

It does cut both ways - but 'getting something off your chest' is not a valid excuse for being an arsehole.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fraser
In that case, I think the UK is shit!, so there.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:19 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, I think the UK is shit!, so there.
I think you may have mentioned it before
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:21 am

Of course it cuts both ways. That said, I'd feel every bit as embarrassed as Tyke in the same situation ... indeed I've been in the same situation. The kind of loud, I don't give a shit who hears me, whinging is the same sort of thing you hear from the certain Brits on holiday. The sort of knobs who complain that they can't get a decent full-english in Cyprus - or that the tea doesn't taste right in France. I'd rather lop a leg off and dangle my bollocks in hot chip fat than be associated with people like that.

If, in the situation that Tyke describes above, an Aussie had delivered *the* classic and oft-repeated line to 'em - I wouldn't have complained - in fact I'd be more likely to give him a round of applause. And if I hear half-truths and bollocks being said about the UK, I put people straight too. Friend of ours kept banging on about all Brits having 'geezer teeth' - I pointed out to her that there was free dental health care in the UK and that it was therefore far more likely that aussies would have a mouth full of rotten stumps (given the cost of dentists here) than your average pom. I also pointed out that her BF had a right shonky set of gnashers and she promptly shut up.

It does cut both ways - but 'getting something off your chest' is not a valid excuse for being an arsehole.
I suppose it depends how it happened if two poms were being loud about it I agree, if they were just having a conversation, no problem with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.