Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Stop saying HOME!!!!

Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:55 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop saying HOME!!!!

not much repost from the OP to the various answers to the origional comment?

Nev
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Our hearts are in Australia and we arent even there yet...haha

Certainly wont call UK home cos there aint nothing for us here.

Nickie
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's one of the reasons that I don't call myself an expat. The standard definition of an expat is one who's only away from 'home' temporarily. I'm an immigrant ... and bloody proud of it.

Get off this forum then you! ...

Altho do agree.

(bloody immigrants! ... )
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
Our hearts are in Australia and we arent even there yet...haha
Oh I knew that feeling!

After our reccie and returning to the UK, we said we left our hearts here so HAD to return! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

do you know i cant get my head round why people would want to leave such a fantastic place,in the first place...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aston man
do you know i cant get my head round why people would want to leave such a fantastic place,in the first place...
Where! ... home? ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:02 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Where! ... home? ...
im all confused now paul..where we talking about..

honestly now.some times i get poo scared about ending up back there..
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aston man
im all confused now paul..where we talking about..

honestly now.some times i get poo scared about ending up back there..
'home' of course! ...

Yeah I know what you mean, just cross fingers mate!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:07 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's one of the reasons that I don't call myself an expat. The standard definition of an expat is one who's only away from 'home' temporarily. I'm an immigrant ... and bloody proud of it.

I'm right with you on that one!!!!!!

xRx
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that the Uk is still home - when I first came here I used to call Aus "home", it was part of my strategy for trying to feel at home. I used to correct myself if I called the UK home and tried really hatrd to think of Aus as being my new "home"
Didn't work - first time I flew home to the Uk I knew where my heart is, and its not in Aus. Since then its natural to call the UK home, and even though I tried for a long time Australia just doesn't feel like "home" so why should I refer to it as that?
I know people who have been here 45 years - he loves Aus and calls it home, she calls the UK home, visits every couple of years and puts up with Aus because he likes it here.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
and puts up with Aus because he likes it here.
Is this the same with you Polly? ... you just said, but have read before how you're not happy here ...

I hate being somewhere I don't want to be!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I feel that the Uk is still home - when I first came here I used to call Aus "home", it was part of my strategy for trying to feel at home. I used to correct myself if I called the UK home and tried really hatrd to think of Aus as being my new "home"
Didn't work - first time I flew home to the Uk I knew where my heart is, and its not in Aus. Since then its natural to call the UK home, and even though I tried for a long time Australia just doesn't feel like "home" so why should I refer to it as that?
I know people who have been here 45 years - he loves Aus and calls it home, she calls the UK home, visits every couple of years and puts up with Aus because he likes it here.
polly,thats strange reading that,,you spend hundereds of hours out of the goodness of your heart,helping people..mostly that are moving from a place where your heart lies to a place where it doesent?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

There are obviously two schools of thought, and both are right in the eyes of the beholder.

I know a proud Englishman who represents the US on his forays into Subbuteo tournaments... but I and another would never represent the stars and stripes, and there is only one flag for us... well two to be accurate, the one with and the one without the blue bits and the extra cross...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:13 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
There are obviously two schools of thought, and both are right in the eyes of the beholder.

I know a proud Englishman who represents the US on his forays into Subbuteo tournaments... but I and another would never represent the stars and stripes, and there is only one flag for us... well two to be accurate, the one with and the one without the blue bits and the extra cross...
Of all the conversations, to bring the word SUBBUTEO into, this wasnt one of them.

PMSL
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:17 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tyke
Aaaaarrgghhhhh - conjure up in mind's eye of Tyke gnashing keyboard!!!

Please,pleaseplease - those who live here in Oz - STOP calling the UK HOME!!!!

I just seen quite a few threads with "Back Home" in the text.

I dunno if it is a psychological trick but when we moved here we instantly stopped calling the UK home. Not as though we have forgotten our roots roots.

Home is where your heart is /hang yer hat/keep yer herd of Bedlington Terriers.:curse::curse::curse:
WTF has it got to do with you how others refer to the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.