Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Stella Artois: A Beer Lovers Nightmare

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do You Support Overseas Premium Beers Being Made in OZ?
YES
13.79%
NO
34.48%
DON'T CARE
48.28%
UNDECIDED
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Stella Artois: A Beer Lovers Nightmare

Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:36 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stella Artois: A Beer Lovers Nightmare

Just bought myself some Stella only to find it's now made in OZ by CUB. So it now joins the fate of Carling, Tuborg, and Carlsberg.

I'm a purist. I just wanna cry at imported beers being made in other than the country of origin. It never tastes the same. What do you beer connisseurs out there think of this ?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:51 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stella Artois: A Beer Lovers Nightmare

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Just bought myself some Stella only to find it's now made in OZ by CUB. So it now joins the fate of Carling, Tuborg, and Carlsberg.

I'm a purist. I just wanna cry at imported beers being made in other than the country of origin. It never tastes the same. What do you beer connisseurs out there think of this ?
It fills me with fury and makes we mant to beat my wife.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I could write a whole page on this subject. I only looked at the label closely after buying my last slab of stella, because it tasted very ordinary. Now I'm not what I consider a beer snob etc, However after purchasing the slab from the "imported beer" section of dan murphy's I was well and truly pissed off. Not only did it taste different, even the gas content seemed very different. It was one of the most disappointing beer expereinces I've had in recent times. For some reason it's seems to be a inferior product to the European stella. (unless time and distance is making the memory of stella drank in Europe more appertising). However conversely, there is an upside, blow me down Heiniken actually tastes better here than it does in Europe, plus generally It's cheaper than the other European stuff sold here.

Kiwi stick to the James Squires, and the Grand ridges, and the Coopers, if you look hard enough there is enough here to compare favourably with the psuedo European brewed here crap. Or if you really need a European fix, go leffe or Duval

Oh BTW Dan Murphys have now changed that imported section, to "Imported and Premium beers" must have had a lot of complaints.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:56 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm that the bottle of Miller genuine draft that I am holding has "Imported by CUB yadda yadda" on the label.
Why is Stella different.
Tastes fine to me but.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

We are used to that in th UK - Stella is brewed here along with most other big name brews - mostly drinking Corona now imported from Mexico
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:18 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
I can confirm that the bottle of Miller genuine draft that I am holding has "Imported by CUB yadda yadda" on the label.
Why is Stella different.
Tastes fine to me but.
The Stella brewed here tastes more bland and appears less lively; surprise surprise. It is claimed that the water difference is the reason that beers taste different from the original, but I am now starting to question that. I think it has more to do with the quality of the ingredients and the method of production.

Stella thats actually made in Belguim is a top beer, the Aussie variety is as Ozzieeagle says, disappointing. Thank God Lowenbrau and Becks are still made in Germany (fingers crossed)
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:21 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by djfbug
We are used to that in th UK - Stella is brewed here along with most other big name brews - mostly drinking Corona now imported from Mexico
I did drink Budweiser on tap in the UK and that proved to be the exception to the rule: it actually tasted better than the original! CUB in OZ do not produce very good quality beers.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:25 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
blow me down Heiniken actually tastes better here than it does in Europe, plus generally It's cheaper than the other European stuff sold here.
Heineken here in OZ, is imported from Holland. In UK it's made in England.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The Stella brewed here tastes more bland and appears less lively; surprise surprise. It is claimed that the water difference is the reason that beers taste different from the original, but I am now starting to question that. I think it has more to do with the quality of the ingredients and the method of production.

Stella thats actually made in Belguim is a top beer, the Aussie variety is as Ozzieeagle says, disappointing. Thank God Lowenbrau and Becks are still made in Germany (fingers crossed)

Less lively, yes I wish I had thought to use that description, thats the main fault.

Ahhh I made a brilliant discovery at Dan Murphy's two weeks back. Brok, polish lager... 5.8 pct, brewed in Poland, 49 bucks for 20 x 500 ml bottles. Thats about 35 to 40 pct less cost than Psuedo Stella for authentic Euro beer.

It's gone now
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Heineken here in OZ, is imported from Holland. In UK it's made in England.
look at the label more closely, the last slab I bought was brewed under license here.

Lowenbrau, is definitely brewed in Germany, not to sure about Becks, I havn't fully investegated the label, and its been about 18 months since i bought a slab, Blitzberger is brewed in germany though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 14th 2006 at 10:32 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:31 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

How many New Zealand Breweries, make imported beer?

ZX...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:32 pm
Jedi Princess

look at the label more closely, the last slab I bought was brewed under license here.
Has been a wee while since I bought the stuff, but not ages ago. I am now going to closely inspect any bottle of european brands VERY closely! If it's made in OZ, I won't buy.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:34 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
How many New Zealand Breweries, make imported beer?

ZX...
I have no idea but I wouldn't support them. If I want NZ beer I buy the Kiwi brands I drank back in my 20's and 30's.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Has been a wee while since I bought the stuff, but not ages ago. I am now going to closely inspect any bottle of european brands VERY closely! If it's made in OZ, I won't buy.
I think they may even brew the belgian wheat beer Hoegaarden here, as they sell it on tap.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:37 pm
Jedi Princess

Less lively, yes I wish I had thought to use that description, thats the main fault.

Ahhh I made a brilliant discovery at Dan Murphy's two weeks back. Brok, polish lager... 5.8 pct, brewed in Poland, 49 bucks for 20 x 500 ml bottles. Thats about 35 to 40 pct less cost than Psuedo Stella for authentic Euro beer.

It's gone now
Sounds a good deal. I might keep an eye out for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.