Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Starbucks Uk and Starbucks Aussie.

Wikiposts

Starbucks Uk and Starbucks Aussie.

Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:28 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starbucks Uk and Starbucks Aussie.

Originally Posted by hedgehog
if they have a European cafe culture.
You bet they have. Italian run cafes everywhere
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

hedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seang
You've just put a big smile on my face
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Where about in Aus are you coming?
Melbourne is great for coffee (and food generally)....lots of European influence here.
Oh...and don't bother with Gloria Jeans either...they are crap as well.

Best coffee is found in independant cafes.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:19 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Now I know why Starbucks UK was such a Success. Starbucks Aussie is almost non-existent. Reason being they make crap coffee compared to the much higher standards of the local Coffee shops here.

Because the UK doesn't take coffee seriously is the reason they get dished up crap.

Give me a Barista anyday
I think the attention to detail (in this case coffee) is part of the more relaxed culture. People here take the time to enjoy good conversation rather than rushing off. When standing in a queue you can start up a conversation with people around you without feeling like a weirdo. The food quality is far superior to London. These rose tinted glasses are great

A good coffee should be enjoyed not hidden by mountains of sugar and cream. thats for the bedroom
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:21 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Now I know why Starbucks UK was such a Success. Starbucks Aussie is almost non-existent. Reason being they make crap coffee compared to the much higher standards of the local Coffee shops here.

Because the UK doesn't take coffee seriously is the reason they get dished up crap.

Give me a Barista anyday
We had a shed load of Lattes in Sydney last year and we loved them all. My local Starbucks is indicative of small market town workers mentality though and is consistently crap.

The best ones I've had have been in Canada and the US.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
I think the attention to detail (in this case coffee) is part of the more relaxed culture. People here take the time to enjoy good conversation rather than rushing off. When standing in a queue you can start up a conversation with people around you without feeling like a weirdo. The food quality is far superior to London. These rose tinted glasses are great

A good coffee should be enjoyed not hidden by mountains of sugar and cream. thats for the bedroom
Shane ...that is not like you to say something like that!!

This site is corrupting you !
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:29 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Shane ...that is not like you to say something like that!!

This site is corrupting you !

Oops

Too much of playing that word game with Ransi this PM

Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
Oops

Too much of playing that word game with Ransi this PM

ah...she's very naughty
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone remember the WTO riots in Seattle in 1999 where approximately $1m of damaged was caused in a Starbucks. Apparently one of the protesters knocked over several coffees and a hot chocolate.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:03 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Does anyone remember the WTO riots in Seattle in 1999 where approximately $1m of damaged was caused in a Starbucks. Apparently one of the protesters knocked over several coffees and a hot chocolate.
$1m worth of damage will seem like paying for a broken nail when Mt. Rainier finally blows it's top. It's so huge that it towers above the city and it's many, many miles away.

I once stood at the top of the Space Needle and it really had me awe-struck at it's size and threatening stance.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Lol, just imagine if they had have been double shots.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:05 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

my favourite is a skinny late, really lovely.

And proper cafe shops always do a nice design on the top of my froth.

tell you another top drink I like at Gerties and Alice (if you go to Bondi GO there) is green tea with honey, yum!

When I flew into Melbourne from the UK last time as soon as I dropped my bags off at the hotel was find a small coffee shop where I consumed a large skinny late and two espresso shots! That sorted out the jet lag!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:01 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear, this is turning into one of those debates isnt it?

i work hard for my money, and i dont care if you think starbucks is crap ...... i actually quite like it, and i will spend my money where i want to. i buy fairtrade coffee, so dont attack my morals...and id hardly call starbucks an
''unethical large conglomarant[sic] trying to take over the world.''
surely that comment should be saved for macdonalds?

why do people get so offensive about a coffee company? if they are that crap how come they have so many customers? There are probably far worse companies in the world......just look at the labels in your clothing. .....and i often chat to people in the queue in the sheffield starbucks that i go in....and regularly sit and read a paper/book....why do you equate them with such a fast food culture??

wish people would channel their emotions into things worth getting upset about, like child poverty...whole countries on the brink of starvation...civil wars that rob children of thier childhood and their parents...instead of slagging off people cos they like a particular brand of coffee shop
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:31 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
oh dear, this is turning into one of those debates isnt it?

i work hard for my money, and i dont care if you think starbucks is crap ...... i actually quite like it, and i will spend my money where i want to. i buy fairtrade coffee, so dont attack my morals...and id hardly call starbucks an
''unethical large conglomarant[sic] trying to take over the world.''
surely that comment should be saved for macdonalds?

why do people get so offensive about a coffee company? if they are that crap how come they have so many customers? There are probably far worse companies in the world......just look at the labels in your clothing. .....and i often chat to people in the queue in the sheffield starbucks that i go in....and regularly sit and read a paper/book....why do you equate them with such a fast food culture??

wish people would channel their emotions into things worth getting upset about, like child poverty...whole countries on the brink of starvation...civil wars that rob children of thier childhood and their parents...instead of slagging off people cos they like a particular brand of coffee shop
I don't think any one has been slagged off in this forum for using Starbucks, I certainly didn't.

Why do people get so offensive about a coffee company? There are lots of examples on the web, this article gives a balanced view of things source

The article makes an interesting point that Starbucks only brew fairtrade coffee once a month in their UK shops, so something to consider I guess.

And I think the majority of us put our hands in our pocket to help those in povety, child abuse, stravation etc...... I will grant your wish because I do channel my emotions into these issues. I also channel my emotions into thinking how coffee farmers in Africa (who in particular do suffer, almost as slaves) and South America feel knowing they have been exploited and ripped off by large conglomorants such as Starbucks.

And this article gives an indication of how many shops Starbucks wants to have (world domination here we come) http://www.4hoteliers.com/4hots_nshw.php?mwi=2509

The there is this blog website that asks this question http://www.thearchitect.co.uk/weblog...08/000233.html

Besides all this, Starbucks coffee is nowhere near as good as a nice little independant authentically enjoyable coffee shop that will be so much nice to sit in and watch the world go by
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:05 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by seang
Best icecream or should I say Gelatio