British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Spouse Visa Circle - join here! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/spouse-visa-circle-join-here-424977/)

RachelH Feb 8th 2007 11:53 am

Spouse Visa Circle - join here!

THought it would be a good idea to have a thread for all those of us who are either in the process of or thinking about or already got a spouse visa, be you a Pom or an Ozzy!! As there seems to have been a few of us on threads recently and we all seem to be heading for Brisbane!!

I'll start off - I'm Rachel, British, my husband is dual citizenship UK/Australia as he emigrated with his family when he was 4. He has been living back here in the UK (Harrogate in Yorkshire) for the last 12 years with me! We have been married for 10 years and have three kids, twin boys aged 2 and a 10 week old baby girl.

We've talked about going back to Aus for years and never ever been able to make a decision. Various things have kept us here such as his elderly grandparents who we basically looked after until their deaths in 1999 and 2003; and a small investment in a company that we both worked for. He has now left the company and I am on maternity leave.

We have now made the decision that its time to go for it, the ties we have here are my family who I love dearly but I know they will come out and stay for months at a time! My husbands family are mainly in Brisbane - his Mum lives in ST Lucia and one of his sisters in Windsor. His other sister lives in Perth and his Dad divides his time between Tasmania, Cyprus and the UK (Nice!). So its Brissie where we will be heading.

I have just sent off for citizenship for all my kids and once thats through will be heading to London to get their Aussie passports. Then in about JUne time (got a holiday in Majorca in May) I plan to kick off with the actual application (keep putting it off....quite daunting!) and we hope to be in Australia at the latest January 08, may have another Xmas here first. We will see.

Thats me, loads more I could say about me and my family adn my situation but will wait for some more of you to come along first!!

Rachel

fin Feb 8th 2007 12:25 pm

Re: Spouse Visa Circle - join here!

Hello!

I'll join in :) I'm Kristy and I'm the Aussie!! My husband is Welsh. We met on the internet in 1998 :o and met real time in 2001 when he came to visit me in Brisbane. He stayed for 8 months then returned to the UK. I followed him over 5 months later and have lived in the UK ever since.

We were married in 2004. We've made the decision now to return to Aus as I want to go home!! We've not told my husbands family yet but need them to write statements about our relationship, so that will be interesting!

We are still gathering everything information and what not in order to apply for the visa, still have quite a bit to go but I hope to have it all sent off in March (we as soon as the pcc checks come back!)

I'll be moving to the northern suburbs of Brisbane and just can't wait to get back! Especially can't wait to shop in the extended Chermside shopping centre - I miss shopping centres!

shiels Feb 8th 2007 12:34 pm

Hi Rachel......

As you know im already a spouse visa holder!!
It was granted on 5th December 06 only two weeks after applying.

When we first looked into the prospect of emigrating we were like the majority on here and would have needed a skilled visa and probably a STNI. We spoke to quite a few agents, they all had the same information including that my OH mom was Australian born, one of them even suggested we emigrate on a temporary student visa, with 2 kids in tow, i dont think so!!!!
It was'nt until we spoke to another agent, Ian harrop, that we discovered that the OH may be entitled to 'Citizenship by Descent'. That was duly granted in August 2006 but we did'nt find out until 21st September 2006.

After OH had been to London to get his first Aussie passport, I was then able to apply for the spouse visa for myself and our two children.

In the last 6 months my OH has gained Citizenship, me and the kids have a visa and we've also been to Australia for 3 weeks!!!! Bit of a rollercoaster me thinks!!!!

We've now got the house up for sale and are just waiting for the right buyer to come along!!!!!:D C x

Munchmel Feb 8th 2007 12:49 pm

Hi Rachel & Kristy, I'm Mel and got my spouse visa in 2004. My OH was born in Perth but has lived his whole life in UK. We have 4 kids who have all sorted their citizenship by descent, 1 more trip to London for the youngests passport ( the photos are a bugger, will my 17 month sit still?!>) We did our validation trip to Perth in June 2005, heavily pregnant, but loved it...sorted where to live, schools etc paid enrolement fees and planned to move January 2006. Unfortuantely, when my son was born in August 2005, he had a lot of health problems so we stayed in the UK. We have since decided we can't wait any longer and "need" to go!! Our son is now old enough that we don't freek out (too much!) when he is ill, so we're off. Only thing is, hubbie has been offered a job on the Sunshine Coast, so we are heading to a totally unexplored area and all our previous research has been in vain! We are thinking of Sippy Downs area, we have our tickets booked for August 18th..just have to sell the house:eek: So although I have a spouse visa, he's really a pommie...:confused:

Mel
:thumbup:

RachelH Feb 8th 2007 1:09 pm

so looks like we are all going to Queensland so far!

Kristy - tell us more about how you met your husband on the internet, it sounds fascinating! Was it weird when you finally met him??!

Shiels - when are you planning on going - is it just a case of once your house is sold you will book those flights?

And Mel - you will love the Sunshine Coast, its beautiful, having lunch at the Mooloolaba Surf Club is one of my fave memories! Do you mind me asking what your son's health issue is? Sorry if I'm being too nosy, just tell me to pull my head in (as my husband would say!) Also thought I would ask you - how long did you have to wait at Aus house for the passports - is it a nightmare!!???

And whats everyone going to do for jobs??!!!

Scubaemma Feb 8th 2007 1:56 pm

I'm Emma and I'm the Pom, my OH is the Aussie. He grew up in Brisbane and came over to England 7 years ago when he was 23 (he was meant to just be coming for a year but after a couple of years met me and the rest, as they say, is history!). His grandfather was born in England so he's got indefiniate leave to remain.

We live in London and are getting a bit over the whole London thing, so we thought about moving to Devon (I grew up in Dorset and my parents now live in Cornwall). But then in October we had to go back to Oz to OH's sisters wedding and while we were there (and loving it) we decided to move to Oz rather than Devon! My parents were very understanding although a bit disappointed that instead of moving close to them we're going to be on the other side of the world. But they're totally supportive as they can see the appeal.

We're getting married in Cornwall next June so we're hoping to move to Brisbane straight after that. So it's a bit frustrating at the moment because it's a bit too early to really do anything about it, eg apply for the visa. But that hasn't stopped me reading this site every day and getting very excited (I've become a bit addicted already). We've started collecting our 'evidence' though eg joint bank statements, flight stubs etc for when we do apply.

We've been trying to decide whether we should keep our flat in London when we move or just sell up. We're thinking of selling as we don't really want the worry of the place, and looks like we'd be able to buy a nice house with the money we'd make from the flat. We like the look of the Bulimba type area of Brissie as we want to be cycling distance to work (hopefully not in the snow - see my pic in the snowing in London thread on this forum!). But as I said, it's a long way off yet so getting a bit ahead of ourselves there!

OH should be able to get a job quite easily - he's an engineering drafter. I work for a central Govt department so am hoping I might be able to get a job for QLD Govt when we get there - guess we'll have to wait and see.

We can stay with OH's parents when we arrive until we find somewhere to rent. The plan is to then buy somewhere after 6 months or so.

Anyway, very aware that I've been burbling on for ages now - sorry about that! I'll shut up now. :o

Munchmel Feb 8th 2007 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by RachelH (Post 4378120)

And Mel - you will love the Sunshine Coast, its beautiful, having lunch at the Mooloolaba Surf Club is one of my fave memories! Do you mind me asking what your son's health issue is? Sorry if I'm being too nosy, just tell me to pull my head in (as my husband would say!) Also thought I would ask you - how long did you have to wait at Aus house for the passports - is it a nightmare!!???

Hi, sorry I wasn't trying to be mysterious, just didn't want to keep drivelling on, he has suspected epilepsy and we have had some very scary moments, with a blue baby, having seizures:eek: We are better able to cope now, he seems to have a major seizure once every 3/4 months. I've been told they can't confirn epilepsy until he is older...I'm making sure we move near a hospital:blink: Australia house have been amazing whenever we have been in, my OH put in the passport applications, he just walked in and got seen straight away, there was no appointment system...don't know if its still the same. They are dead fussy on size of photos tho, more so than UK and it is quite hard getting the kids faces large enough:rofl: ...and finally we are both chefs...I'm a stay at home mum tho these days..and luuuurve it!

Mel
:huh:

shiels Feb 8th 2007 3:31 pm

Kristy - tell us more about how you met your husband on the internet, it sounds fascinating! Was it weird when you finally met him??!

Shiels - when are you planning on going - is it just a case of once your house is sold you will book those flights?

We have been looking at flight prices for May but without a definate date its a bit difficult really. So looks like we will just book them when we get a sale!!! Fingers crossed.......but we do have until to October to validate so thats not too bad.

As regards Australia House my OH went there just before christmas for his passport and it did take up the whole day including the travelling. It was a 'take a ticket and wait' system. They are real fussy about the photos, OH had to have some more done while he was there!!! He had the passport within 10 days and that wasn't the express service.
Claire x

shiels Feb 8th 2007 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 4378240)
I work for a central Govt department so am hoping I might be able to get a job for QLD Govt when we get there - guess we'll have to wait and see.

:o

Hi Emma........
Will you be allowed to work for Goverment Dept as im sure ive read on here that you have to be a citizen, or maybe thats just for certain departments:confused: You could always spend your days on the beach, which i keep trying to convince my OH is a good idea for me....but hes having none of it!!!!!!! :rofl: Claire x

fin Feb 8th 2007 5:33 pm

Rachel - I met him in an online chat room, (not some matchmaker site tho!! lol) just an every day chat room kind of like we're in now (but obviously not about immigration! lol) It was very weird meeting but we'd seen pics and spoke for a good 2 years on the internet and telephone and we were just friends and when we met we got along even better so decided to become more than friends. Thats about it really!

Shiels - Hi again! :) You've definately been on a rollercoaster! Everything seems to of happened really fast for you!

Mel - Hiya! Lucky you for already having the visa! Sunshine Coast is absolutely gorgeous!! I much prefer it to the Gold Coast as I find the GC is alot more commercial. I get soooo home sick thinking about all these gorgeous places!!

Emma - I've been collecting evidence of our relationship since we first met, had loads of it, and then stupidly about a year ago I figured that we wouldn't need so much as we're married and we're bound to get a visa and I went on a shredding spree!! Now I can't find any documentation of my husband and I living together from 2002-2004! What have I done!! :ohmy: I bet you are looking forward to your wedding!!! It's nice that your parents are understanding about your move to Aus, we're yet to tell my husbands parents and I'm not looking forward to it. I mean they are great and will understand that we need to do what makes us happy, but I'm worried they will be a bit resentful towards me for taking thier son away :(

I've always worked in Customer Service, I've not got a career or anything and will be happy just earning money! I just can't wait to get back and be near my family! I will love my husband experiencing an Aussie Christmas and all!

shiels Feb 8th 2007 5:39 pm

Kristy......i real would'nt worry too much about too much evidence........i dint send in any pictures, photos, tickets,..........all i sent in with my application was 'my love story' travel docs from our trip to Aus in August 2006, one letter that showed that we lived together in our current and previous house.
Other than that all we put in was proof of joint bank accounts and current mortgage statement. Claire x

RachelH Feb 8th 2007 5:45 pm

Great - there are loads of us already!

Emma - if I were you I would keep your flat on for a while and rent it out.....just to be sure that you have made the right move. I read too much on teh Moving BAck to the uk thread about people who go and then want to come back and cant get back on the property ladder. We plan to rent our house out for a couple of years to see how we like living in Aus full time and then fingers crossed we will be established over there and can make our minds up whether to keep on renting it out (covering the mortgage) or to sell up. I guess it means we will get a smaller place initially in Brisbane as we wont have any of the equity but to be fair there isnt much anyway as we only bought our place 2 years ago and it hasnt gone up much!

fin Feb 8th 2007 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 4378912)
Kristy......i real would'nt worry too much about too much evidence........i dint send in any pictures, photos, tickets,..........all i sent in with my application was 'my love story' travel docs from our trip to Aus in August 2006, one letter that showed that we lived together in our current and previous house.
Other than that all we put in was proof of joint bank accounts and current mortgage statement. Claire x

Hi Claire,

I know I do worry :( I can't help it. We don't have any children so we haven't got that on our side. We have emails and phone bills from our time apart (it was about 5 months) do you think those will ne needed seen as it was only 5 months our of the whole 6 years? We've always rented and moved 5 times since I've been here so I figured I'd need evidence for each address? I'll be sending in pics in too. I don't want to send too much as I don't want DIMIA to be annoyed at having to go thru all the documents! I was going to send copies of cards to one another but I've decided against it as someone mentioned that they can't tell if you've gone to the supermarket bought a heap and written them out the day before :lol: So I've abandoned that idea! Seeee I am cutting back!! :rofl:

shiels Feb 8th 2007 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by kristyhans (Post 4378973)
Hi Claire,

I know I do worry :( I can't help it. We don't have any children so we haven't got that on our side. We have emails and phone bills from our time apart (it was about 5 months) do you think those will ne needed seen as it was only 5 months our of the whole 6 years? We've always rented and moved 5 times since I've been here so I figured I'd need evidence for each address? I'll be sending in pics in too. I don't want to send too much as I don't want DIMIA to be annoyed at having to go thru all the documents! I was going to send copies of cards to one another but I've decided against it as someone mentioned that they can't tell if you've gone to the supermarket bought a heap and written them out the day before :lol: So I've abandoned that idea! Seeee I am cutting back!! :rofl:

If you'd feel better by sending in as much info as you can then its your application, and i always believe you must do what you think is right for yourself. If you are going to send photos then just send a couple, at the end of the day you've been married for 6 years!!!! How long was you together before that? C x

RachelH Feb 8th 2007 6:26 pm

Claire - whereabouts on the Gold Coast are you planning to go?