British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Spider photo's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/spider-photos-664131/)

Bob Tonnor Apr 15th 2010 11:00 am

Spider photo's

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

I expect everyone who has ever come to OZ has a spider story, well heres a picture of a huge Golden Orb that has set up home at our back door that we call Gerald Ford! Nearly six inch across! These spiders are actually harmless and they do keep the bugs down, anyone else got any decent photos of spiders that have set up home in your house? Please leave the funnel webs alone people! Please no dead ones.

Bob

bcworld Apr 15th 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Spider photo's

1 Attachment(s)
Not from my house but at New Farm park in Brisbane...was a bit tipsy at the time, think I nearly walked into it! :eek:

fairwayskid Apr 15th 2010 3:20 pm

Had a close encounter with a red back last week.

I lit the mossie coil in the dark and an hour later when I went to blow it out it was just sitting on the coil. It could have easily bit me. But it was a lesson learned not to let your guard down. Of course I had to catch it and show the kids what to look out for as it was the first one we had seen in ten months.

Paddy

emelems Apr 15th 2010 8:58 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of our 7 legged huntsman...

scottishcelts Apr 16th 2010 12:49 am

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8499458)
Here is a picture of our 7 legged huntsman...

So.....what do you feed him? :unsure:

iamthecreaturefromuranus Apr 16th 2010 1:11 am

1 Attachment(s)
This guy was sat on the wall above my head for hours.... then he was gone... never to be seen again.

squeezzii Apr 16th 2010 3:06 am

1 Attachment(s)
I took a pic of this one who had made thier home right across the entrance to the garden- nearly walked into it (yeurgh!) while taking out the bins last week. dont know what it is, so if anyone can be more specific than 'its a 2inch beige spider' I'd be really grateful

Lord_Farquar Apr 16th 2010 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Bob Tonnor (Post 8498124)
Hi all

I expect everyone who has ever come to OZ has a spider story, well heres a picture of a huge Golden Orb that has set up home at our back door that we call Gerald Ford! Nearly six inch across! These spiders are actually harmless and they do keep the bugs down, anyone else got any decent photos of spiders that have set up home in your house? Please leave the funnel webs alone people! Please no dead ones.

Bob

Small body for a Golden Orb Weaver. Might just be the camera angle.

Lord_Farquar Apr 16th 2010 3:14 am

Originally Posted by fairwayskid (Post 8498682)
Had a close encounter with a red back last week.

I lit the mossie coil in the dark and an hour later when I went to blow it out it was just sitting on the coil. It could have easily bit me. But it was a lesson learned not to let your guard down. Of course I had to catch it and show the kids what to look out for as it was the first one we had seen in ten months.

Paddy

I have had a few red backs in my garden. Mainly under plant pots.

Lord_Farquar Apr 16th 2010 3:21 am

Originally Posted by squeezzii (Post 8500126)
I took a pic of this one who had made thier home right across the entrance to the garden- nearly walked into it (yeurgh!) while taking out the bins last week. dont know what it is, so if anyone can be more specific than 'its a 2inch beige spider' I'd be really grateful

That's a Garden Orb Weaver.

RenShen Apr 16th 2010 3:24 am

Dunno but she needs her legs waxed.

Zambia Apr 16th 2010 6:47 am

Originally Posted by squeezzii (Post 8500126)

They have very impressive webs. Plus I am constantly almost walking into them.

Burbage Apr 16th 2010 7:41 am

Huntsmen are the business. Keep the rats and mice down.

squeezzii Apr 16th 2010 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Zambia (Post 8500386)
They have very impressive webs. Plus I am constantly almost walking into them.

she did have a HUGE web spun when I saw her- as you can see from the photo, one of the kids shone a torch on her and you can see bits of the web - beautiful, but makes my blood run cold! (shudder)

emelems Apr 16th 2010 10:05 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8499893)
So.....what do you feed him? :unsure:

anything he like.. I ain't arguing with that bastard! haha!

Em x