Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

Originally Posted by ianandmel
CAPE TRIBULATION!!!!! OOOOOOHHH WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!
BEFORE I went to Cape Tribulation I was very positive that one of my future plans would be a treck through the rainforest somewhere in South America.
Scenery etc was stunning, but the spiders, frogs/toads whatever and snakes I saw during my first night on the way TO the toilet (I decided to keep it all in and do the toilet thing during daytime) seriously traumatised me. Never seen spiders like that before. And that was just a normal path.

.....off the topic really but reading "Cape Tribulation" kind of triggered my need for "talk it over therapy".
Oh and there's no way I ever set foot in a real jungle unless wearing a full-body condom or similar.
Ha ha
We did a nightime rainforest walk, saw some huge huntsmen spiders but didn't bother us as that is where they should be..in the rainforest!! It was when the guide asked us to switch off our lamps and just enjoy the noises that we were really scared...you try to stand still but then imagine what might be crawling over your shoes and have the urge to hop on the spot.
We learnt a lot though and the guide was fab. Thought it would be a well trodden path but we were all over the place and off the track at times..in search for a mischevious possum he was determined to show us. 3 hours and I have to say one of the best things I have done. I love wildlife..as long as it isn't too close..they will be welcome in the garden but not in the house.

I have been bitten by big hairy english spider and it hurt..don't intend to relive that experience!

We adore Cape Trib which is why we are buying a camper van so we can go there as much as possible.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Could've been worse ! You might not have been in a toilet at the time

Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:32 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely somewhere on this site there must be a spiderontologist who can positively identify this thingy ! Just for the record it was only funnin ,it suddenly sprung back into energetic mode after about 2 hrs so i let it live(in next doors garden !ah isn't that a happy ending )

You send your photo to the spider person at QLD Museum and they send you back an identification, I did it with our first Tent Spider as he didn't look quite like the pictures on the sites.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:06 am
Bloke from Oz

fairbloodydinkum will become famous soon enoughfairbloodydinkum will become famous soon enough

i keep sayin...don't worry about the ones you see....worry about the ones you don't...them that crawl over you in your sleep....
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
You send your photo to the spider person at QLD Museum and they send you back an identification, I did it with our first Tent Spider as he didn't look quite like the pictures on the sites.
Well it's now official ! Just got this reply from a spiderologist chappy!

Dear Bobby,

Your spider is a sub-adult male Eriophora transmarina, the Garden Orb Spider.

Best regards,

Mark Schutze

Senior (acting) Information Officer

Inquiry Centre

Mighty pleased someone knows what they're doing
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:47 pm

Well it's now official ! Just got this reply from a spiderologist chappy!

Dear Bobby,

Your spider is a sub-adult male Eriophora transmarina, the Garden Orb Spider.

Best regards,

Mark Schutze

Senior (acting) Information Officer

Inquiry Centre

Mighty pleased someone knows what they're doing
I found them efficiently quick considering both of ours are common spiders in the end. Probably hoping we had found the lesser spotted greater redback or the likes.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

I found them efficiently quick considering both of ours are common spiders in the end. Probably hoping we had found the lesser spotted greater redback or the likes.
Yeah only 1/2 an hour for a reply
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:41 am

Yeah only 1/2 an hour for a reply
We'll have to find him some rare ones so we impress him.
Attached Thumbnails THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE-spotty.jpg   THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE-img_8741.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We'll have to find him some rare ones so we impress him.
Very pretty !Do they nip ?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:14 pm

Very pretty !Do they nip ?
We have about 100 minimum of the left one in the garden... Tent Spider and the right one lives in the garage and is an Andrews Cross Spider but they both make cool webs.

Don't tend to stroke them so not sure if they bite.