Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:41 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

It's not a huntsman. The diamond pattern on the back isn't typical. Also the legs are wrong for a baby huntsman. They look long and gangly like a teenager.. All legs and hardly any body.

The true tell of whether it's dangerous or not is to check whether it has stripey legs.

If it hasn't, it's not deadly, ergo, leave it.

If it has, kill it.

Simple.

Yours has stripey legs. It's fine. Small-ish sort of innocuous thing.

Woudn't stress.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Don't know what all the fuss is about, I mean I see more spiders in my house in the UK than I ever did or will in Aus, and guess what they all bite and are all venomous.

I was bitten when I was a youngun by a half size spider that ran out in the garage, it bloody hurt I can tell you, and apart from a sore thumb I was fine.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

It's a deformed specimen of Redback... let it live
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom
Don't know what all the fuss is about, I mean I see more spiders in my house in the UK than I ever did or will in Aus, and guess what they all bite and are all venomous.

I was bitten when I was a youngun by a half size spider that ran out in the garage, it bloody hurt I can tell you, and apart from a sore thumb I was fine.
I can't believe you said that, when you first saw a huntsman you freaked out ran from the room and offered to sleep in the car! Well that was until they told you how many actually lived in the car AND who wouldn't use the public toilets in Lake Placid - Cairns because of all the spider in there eh?

Wife
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
I can't believe you said that, when you first saw a huntsman you freaked out ran from the room and offered to sleep in the car! Well that was until they told you how many actually lived in the car AND who wouldn't use the public toilets in Lake Placid - Cairns because of all the spider in there eh?

Wife
You 2 always make me laugh.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bugger bugger bugger. I carefully clicked on last poster to avoid the pic and that bar steward Timber's posted another pic :curse: All I was going to say was that if it has eight legs and it's inside your house then you kill it, pure and simple. Nothing with more than four legs has any place in my house and never will.
I'm with you on this one, Moneypen! I can live with six-legged beasties but any creature that has the audacity to grow 8 legs has signed it's own death warrant!

(However, any growing loads more legs, e.g. millipedes are allowed to live, just for the sheer 'I'm a female and contrary' factor)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:00 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Anyone identify this breed of spider please before it's fate is decided ? ( Don't want to kill a goody but where needs must !!)
thanks
Well it's none of these...

http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/common.htm

or these

http://www.anoble.com.au/Spiders/SpiderID.htm

or these...

http://www.enviroguardpestcontrol.com.au/spiders.htm

or these...

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/sp...redback-id.asp

so far no obvious answer except not a wolf and looks most like a red back, which can be brown or an orb spider due to back marking.

To find out if it's a read you need to recatch it spray with fly spray till dead then check under it's belly to see if it's got that hour glass mark.

Last edited by annqldau; Jan 4th 2008 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Surely somewhere on this site there must be a spiderontologist who can positively identify this thingy ! Just for the record it was only funnin ,it suddenly sprung back into energetic mode after about 2 hrs so i let it live(in next doors garden !ah isn't that a happy ending )
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:06 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bugger bugger bugger. I carefully clicked on last poster to avoid the pic and that bar steward Timber's posted another pic :curse: All I was going to say was that if it has eight legs and it's inside your house then you kill it, pure and simple. Nothing with more than four legs has any place in my house and never will.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Im at work atm but called the OH and shes having a nose. Shes oz born so has seen a few but we are in nsw. whats the size of it ?
Did the mrs find out anything ?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

I think it looks like a "garden orb weaver", we have a couple of these at the front of our house and they are harmless,
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2

Wife
Just laughing at your post!! About using public toilets! Went in some in cape Tribulation at Thorntons beach area and I shit myself. there must have been about 6 large spiders in there, four of which had strategically placed themselves over the actual toilet area. I was int he strangest position ever and it was the quickest toilet visit of my life. I have to say though that the one with gorgeous blue markings and very long legs was very pretty. Don't know what it was but same shape as a golden orb, are these just yellow in colour?

It just makes our choice of a camper van easier when we get out there, one with a toilet!!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Kill them all...
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Just laughing at your post!! About using public toilets! Went in some in cape Tribulation at Thorntons beach area and I shit myself. there must have been about 6 large spiders in there, four of which had strategically placed themselves over the actual toilet area. I was int he strangest position ever and it was the quickest toilet visit of my life. I have to say though that the one with gorgeous blue markings and very long legs was very pretty. Don't know what it was but same shape as a golden orb, are these just yellow in colour?

It just makes our choice of a camper van easier when we get out there, one with a toilet!!
Could've been worse ! You might not have been in a toilet at the time
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tripawaymars

CAPE TRIBULATION!!!!! OOOOOOHHH WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!
BEFORE I went to Cape Tribulation I was very positive that one of my future plans would be a treck through the rainforest somewhere in South America.
Scenery etc was stunning, but the spiders, frogs/toads whatever and snakes I saw during my first night on the way TO the toilet (I decided to keep it all in and do the toilet thing during daytime) seriously traumatised me. Never seen spiders like that before. And that was just a normal path.

.....off the topic really but reading "Cape Tribulation" kind of triggered my need for "talk it over therapy".
Oh and there's no way I ever set foot in a real jungle unless wearing a full-body condom or similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.