British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/spider-live-die-503451/)

bobbyftm Jan 4th 2008 4:48 am

THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone identify this breed of spider please before it's fate is decided ? ( Don't want to kill a goody but where needs must !!)
thanks

Luke I Amyofath Jan 4th 2008 4:52 am

Re: THIS SPIDER :: LIVE OR DIE

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5737063)
Anyone identify this breed of spider please before it's fate is decided ? ( Don't want to kill a goody but where needs must !!)
thanks

wolf spider maybe

edit: nope

bobbyftm Jan 4th 2008 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath (Post 5737073)
wolf spider maybe

edit: nope

that's the closest i could find but the markings appear to be the wrong way around ie dark bit should be white and vice versa !

Luke I Amyofath Jan 4th 2008 5:05 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5737086)
that's the closest i could find but the markings appear to be the wrong way around ie dark bit should be white and vice versa !

Im at work atm but called the OH and shes having a nose. Shes oz born so has seen a few but we are in nsw. whats the size of it ?

bobbyftm Jan 4th 2008 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath (Post 5737094)
Im at work atm but called the OH and shes having a nose. Shes oz born so has seen a few but we are in nsw. whats the size of it ?

body 1/2" long by 1/4" wide add another half inch front and rear legs when extended(at the moment its in a ball! fretting i suspect)

jazzys Jan 4th 2008 5:30 am

Its a mackem murderer Bobby, let it live!

Jazzys

bobbyftm Jan 4th 2008 5:33 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 5737150)
Its a mackem murderer Bobby, let it live!

Jazzys

Bugger you mate its close enough to being black and white so looks like being in for the BIG SPLAT:p

jazzys Jan 4th 2008 5:36 am

Its not the only thing in black and white thats going down then.

Jeff

bobbyftm Jan 4th 2008 5:45 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 5737166)
Its not the only thing in black and white thats going down then.

Jeff

:rofl::rofl:Might not be any spaces left mate !:eek:

jazzys Jan 4th 2008 5:47 am

We've got stoke on sunday mate, could be the end for big sam if we don't get owt there.

Jeff

bobbyftm Jan 4th 2008 5:50 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 5737202)
We've got stoke on sunday mate, could be the end for big sam if we don't get owt there.

Jeff

Oh no mate big sam forever! :thumbsup:(its the 1st time we've had an infiltrator as far into the woodwork as that !Sam been an ex hero of course ):lol:

jazzys Jan 4th 2008 5:53 am

Joey Bartons out the nick now mate, there's another one to help sink the good ship st james'

Jeff

Timber Floor Au Jan 4th 2008 6:06 am

thanks

Looks like one of these
http://www.eryptick.net/oz2001/hunts...uch-011027.jpg

a baby huntsman

bobbyftm Jan 4th 2008 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5737234)
Looks like one of these
http://www.eryptick.net/oz2001/hunts...uch-011027.jpg

a baby huntsman

Whatever it is ,was( never moved for yonks) looks like it's gorn ! (unless of course its just funnin!)

moneypenny20 Jan 4th 2008 7:08 am

Bugger bugger bugger. I carefully clicked on last poster to avoid the pic and that bar steward Timber's posted another pic :curse: All I was going to say was that if it has eight legs and it's inside your house then you kill it, pure and simple. Nothing with more than four legs has any place in my house and never will.

TiddlyPom Jan 4th 2008 8:41 am

It's not a huntsman. The diamond pattern on the back isn't typical. Also the legs are wrong for a baby huntsman. They look long and gangly like a teenager.. :lol: All legs and hardly any body.

The true tell of whether it's dangerous or not is to check whether it has stripey legs.

If it hasn't, it's not deadly, ergo, leave it.

If it has, kill it.

Simple. :)

Yours has stripey legs. It's fine. Small-ish sort of innocuous thing.

Woudn't stress.

Whingin Pom Jan 4th 2008 12:12 pm

Don't know what all the fuss is about, I mean I see more spiders in my house in the UK than I ever did or will in Aus, and guess what they all bite and are all venomous.

I was bitten when I was a youngun by a half size spider that ran out in the garage, it bloody hurt I can tell you, and apart from a sore thumb I was fine.

Dtox Jan 4th 2008 12:16 pm

It's a deformed specimen of Redback... let it live:thumbsup:

Scrawni 2 Jan 4th 2008 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom (Post 5738394)
Don't know what all the fuss is about, I mean I see more spiders in my house in the UK than I ever did or will in Aus, and guess what they all bite and are all venomous.

I was bitten when I was a youngun by a half size spider that ran out in the garage, it bloody hurt I can tell you, and apart from a sore thumb I was fine.

I can't believe you said that, when you first saw a huntsman you freaked out :eek: ran from the room and offered to sleep in the car! Well that was until they told you how many actually lived in the car :D AND who wouldn't use the public toilets in Lake Placid - Cairns because of all the spider in there eh?

Wife

Fly Away Jan 4th 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 5739142)
I can't believe you said that, when you first saw a huntsman you freaked out :eek: ran from the room and offered to sleep in the car! Well that was until they told you how many actually lived in the car :D AND who wouldn't use the public toilets in Lake Placid - Cairns because of all the spider in there eh?

Wife

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You 2 always make me laugh.:thumbup:

Iwannabethere Jan 4th 2008 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5737358)
Bugger bugger bugger. I carefully clicked on last poster to avoid the pic and that bar steward Timber's posted another pic :curse: All I was going to say was that if it has eight legs and it's inside your house then you kill it, pure and simple. Nothing with more than four legs has any place in my house and never will.

I'm with you on this one, Moneypen! I can live with six-legged beasties but any creature that has the audacity to grow 8 legs has signed it's own death warrant!

(However, any growing loads more legs, e.g. millipedes are allowed to live, just for the sheer 'I'm a female and contrary' factor)

annqldau Jan 4th 2008 9:00 pm

thanks

Well it's none of these...

http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/common.htm

or these

http://www.anoble.com.au/Spiders/SpiderID.htm

or these...

http://www.enviroguardpestcontrol.com.au/spiders.htm

or these...

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/sp...redback-id.asp

so far no obvious answer except not a wolf and looks most like a red back, which can be brown or an orb spider due to back marking.

To find out if it's a read you need to recatch it spray with fly spray till dead then check under it's belly to see if it's got that hour glass mark.

bobbyftm Jan 5th 2008 12:05 am

Surely somewhere on this site there must be a spiderontologist who can positively identify this thingy ! Just for the record it was only funnin ,it suddenly sprung back into energetic mode after about 2 hrs so i let it live(in next doors garden !ah isn't that a happy ending )

Timber Floor Au Jan 5th 2008 12:06 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5737358)

;)

bobbyftm Jan 5th 2008 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath (Post 5737094)

Did the mrs find out anything ?

Rachel69 Jan 6th 2008 7:59 am

I think it looks like a "garden orb weaver", we have a couple of these at the front of our house and they are harmless,

tripawaymars Jan 6th 2008 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 5739142)

Wife

Just laughing at your post!! About using public toilets! Went in some in cape Tribulation at Thorntons beach area and I shit myself. there must have been about 6 large spiders in there, four of which had strategically placed themselves over the actual toilet area. I was int he strangest position ever and it was the quickest toilet visit of my life. I have to say though that the one with gorgeous blue markings and very long legs was very pretty. Don't know what it was but same shape as a golden orb, are these just yellow in colour?

It just makes our choice of a camper van easier when we get out there, one with a toilet!!

lacey21 Jan 6th 2008 2:24 pm

Kill them all...

bobbyftm Jan 6th 2008 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by tripawaymars (Post 5747420)
Just laughing at your post!! About using public toilets! Went in some in cape Tribulation at Thorntons beach area and I shit myself. there must have been about 6 large spiders in there, four of which had strategically placed themselves over the actual toilet area. I was int he strangest position ever and it was the quickest toilet visit of my life. I have to say though that the one with gorgeous blue markings and very long legs was very pretty. Don't know what it was but same shape as a golden orb, are these just yellow in colour?

It just makes our choice of a camper van easier when we get out there, one with a toilet!!

Could've been worse ! You might not have been in a toilet at the time:)

ianandmel Jan 6th 2008 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by tripawaymars (Post 5747420)

CAPE TRIBULATION!!!!! OOOOOOHHH WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!
BEFORE I went to Cape Tribulation I was very positive that one of my future plans would be a treck through the rainforest somewhere in South America.
Scenery etc was stunning, but the spiders, frogs/toads whatever and snakes I saw during my first night on the way TO the toilet (I decided to keep it all in and do the toilet thing during daytime) seriously traumatised me. Never seen spiders like that before. And that was just a normal path.

.....off the topic really but reading "Cape Tribulation" kind of triggered my need for "talk it over therapy".
Oh and there's no way I ever set foot in a real jungle unless wearing a full-body condom or similar.

tripawaymars Jan 6th 2008 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ianandmel (Post 5747533)
CAPE TRIBULATION!!!!! OOOOOOHHH WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!
BEFORE I went to Cape Tribulation I was very positive that one of my future plans would be a treck through the rainforest somewhere in South America.
Scenery etc was stunning, but the spiders, frogs/toads whatever and snakes I saw during my first night on the way TO the toilet (I decided to keep it all in and do the toilet thing during daytime) seriously traumatised me. Never seen spiders like that before. And that was just a normal path.

.....off the topic really but reading "Cape Tribulation" kind of triggered my need for "talk it over therapy".
Oh and there's no way I ever set foot in a real jungle unless wearing a full-body condom or similar.

Ha ha
We did a nightime rainforest walk, saw some huge huntsmen spiders but didn't bother us as that is where they should be..in the rainforest!! It was when the guide asked us to switch off our lamps and just enjoy the noises that we were really scared...you try to stand still but then imagine what might be crawling over your shoes and have the urge to hop on the spot.
We learnt a lot though and the guide was fab. Thought it would be a well trodden path but we were all over the place and off the track at times..in search for a mischevious possum he was determined to show us. 3 hours and I have to say one of the best things I have done. I love wildlife..as long as it isn't too close..they will be welcome in the garden but not in the house.

I have been bitten by big hairy english spider and it hurt..don't intend to relive that experience!

We adore Cape Trib which is why we are buying a camper van so we can go there as much as possible.

tripawaymars Jan 6th 2008 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5747485)
Could've been worse ! You might not have been in a toilet at the time:)

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

annqldau Jan 7th 2008 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5741231)
Surely somewhere on this site there must be a spiderontologist who can positively identify this thingy ! Just for the record it was only funnin ,it suddenly sprung back into energetic mode after about 2 hrs so i let it live(in next doors garden !ah isn't that a happy ending )

You send your photo to the spider person at QLD Museum and they send you back an identification, I did it with our first Tent Spider as he didn't look quite like the pictures on the sites.

fairbloodydinkum Jan 8th 2008 1:06 am

i keep sayin...don't worry about the ones you see....worry about the ones you don't...them that crawl over you in your sleep....:eek:

bobbyftm Jan 8th 2008 5:02 am

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5754439)
You send your photo to the spider person at QLD Museum and they send you back an identification, I did it with our first Tent Spider as he didn't look quite like the pictures on the sites.

Well it's now official ! Just got this reply from a spiderologist chappy!

Dear Bobby,

Your spider is a sub-adult male Eriophora transmarina, the Garden Orb Spider.

Best regards,

Mark Schutze

Senior (acting) Information Officer

Inquiry Centre

Mighty pleased someone knows what they're doing:thumbsup:

annqldau Jan 8th 2008 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5756034)
Well it's now official ! Just got this reply from a spiderologist chappy!

Dear Bobby,

Your spider is a sub-adult male Eriophora transmarina, the Garden Orb Spider.

Best regards,

Mark Schutze

Senior (acting) Information Officer

Inquiry Centre

Mighty pleased someone knows what they're doing:thumbsup:

I found them efficiently quick considering both of ours are common spiders in the end. Probably hoping we had found the lesser spotted greater redback or the likes.

bobbyftm Jan 9th 2008 1:28 am

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5759637)
I found them efficiently quick considering both of ours are common spiders in the end. Probably hoping we had found the lesser spotted greater redback or the likes.

Yeah only 1/2 an hour for a reply

annqldau Jan 9th 2008 7:41 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5761177)
Yeah only 1/2 an hour for a reply

We'll have to find him some rare ones so we impress him.

bobbyftm Jan 9th 2008 11:34 am

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5762164)
We'll have to find him some rare ones so we impress him.

Very pretty !Do they nip ?

annqldau Jan 9th 2008 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5763229)
Very pretty !Do they nip ?

We have about 100 minimum of the left one in the garden... Tent Spider and the right one lives in the garage and is an Andrews Cross Spider but they both make cool webs.

Don't tend to stroke them so not sure if they bite.