British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Spelling on National TV!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/spelling-national-tv-615462/)

22B Jun 18th 2009 8:43 am

Spelling on National TV!!!!

How do you spell 'interruption'? Like I just did, right?

I have just seen a trailer on W for double Law&Order with the banner headline

"NO INTERUPTIONS"

This is a major station on national TV! I am gobsmacked. Who checks this stuff before it goes out?

And the other day, I'm sure I saw an advert for Dell computers, again an international company on a national TV station, and in the bottom left corner it assured me that the offer was 'Geniune'....... I admit this only flashed up for a sec, so I could be wrong, but Jesus!

Broad Shoulders Jun 18th 2009 8:55 am

Re: Spelling on National TV!!!!

Originally Posted by 22B (Post 7675882)
How do you spell 'interruption'? Like I just did, right?

I have just seen a trailer on W for double Law&Order with the banner headline

"NO INTERUPTIONS"

This is a major station on national TV! I am gobsmacked. Who checks this stuff before it goes out?

And the other day, I'm sure I saw an advert for Dell computers, again an international company on a national TV station, and in the bottom left corner it assured me that the offer was 'Geniune'....... I admit this only flashed up for a sec, so I could be wrong, but Jesus!

See it all the time. Shops advertising signs etc.

scottishcelts Jun 18th 2009 10:07 am

Yip, seen it loads myself, kinda get used to it after a while. :blink:

johnnyx0 Jun 18th 2009 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by 22B (Post 7675882)
Who checks this stuff before it goes out?

No bugger!

Red_V_Roger Jun 18th 2009 7:26 pm

My old fav. was Millennium, spelt Millenium. Near our house in UK we had the Millenium Motorcycle Shop.

When I asked them one day about it, they told me that the sign writers did the original sign wrong and so they branded their delivery van, adverts etc with the same wrong spelling in the hope that it would not be spotted!

Walkabout Jun 18th 2009 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 7676067)
Yip, seen it loads myself, kinda get used to it after a while. :blink:

LOL, please see my post about being lonely. Got a very impressive, full coloured leaflet through my door the other day offering a proffessional service - the irony...

Can anyone recommend the best lobotomist please?

scottishcelts Jun 18th 2009 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Walkabout (Post 7678011)
LOL, please see my post about being lonely. Got a very impressive, full coloured leaflet through my door the other day offering a proffessional service - the irony...

Can anyone recommend the best lobotomist please?

:lol: outrageous isn't it!

Here people can't seem to decide whether to spell colour or color :blink:

Burbage Jun 19th 2009 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 7677928)
My old fav. was Millennium, spelt Millenium. Near our house in UK we had the Millenium Motorcycle Shop.

When I asked them one day about it, they told me that the sign writers did the original sign wrong and so they branded their delivery van, adverts etc with the same wrong spelling in the hope that it would not be spotted!

I saw a message emblazoned across the window of a menswear shop in Melbourne:

HUGE SUIT SALE!

Anyone need a huge suit?