Speaking clock

Old May 27th 2012, 9:16 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking clock

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I remember a few from when I was a kid in the 70s; when I was in bed ill I would listen to the World Service a lot overnight, you used to hear announcements on there for stuff like "John, somewhere in India, please call home urgently".
In the late 70s I worked in Dubai. It seems like a couple of years ago, but it was nearly 35.

There was no email, no internet, and newspapers were about 4 days old when we got them. I shared a villa with two older guys, and on the table in the kitchen was a shortwave radio locked into the BBC World Service. We would listen to the news every night, and of course the football results.

I can still close my eyes and hear the crackle and hiss, the drifting signal, the dulcet tones.

Such good memories.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:19 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
According to Wikipedia Australia does have one. I dialled it from Brisbane and it said "The time is 1972"
1972 wasn't bad. I'd do it again.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I can still close my eyes and hear the crackle and hiss, the drifting signal, the dulcet tones.

Such good memories.
How did it sound...'like they were just in the next room...'

(The Dish! Great film.)
Old May 27th 2012, 11:17 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How did it sound...'like they were just in the next room...'

(The Dish! Great film.)
Sometimes in life we hear a song, or smell something and we go straight back to earlier times. The fading in and out of the BBC announcer, the hiss and warble of a signal coming from home, takes me back to Jebel Ali.

The news then seemed like news. Great events happened in those years.

I remember listening to the news of the fall of the Shah of Iran, just 90 miles away across a disputed Gulf. For a kid living abroad for the first time it was heady stuff. Old hands on the site reassured me, but they listened to every word on the BBC too.

I still listen from time to time. I could get it via the Internet, but it's nicer when I get it on shortwave, thr crackle and hiss, the missed words, the fading....
Old May 27th 2012, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I wonder if Aus has a shipping forecast. When I catch that on the beeb for some stupid reason I listen to it. I find it weirdly compelling.
Me too. I used to LOVE the shipping forecast all those strange names. Cromarty Forth Dogger Tyne...

I've been watching reruns of the classic As Time Goes By with Dame Judi Dench and the wonderfully dry Geoffrey Palmer. Their housekeeper in their country house was always quoting the shipping forecast.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes in life we hear a song, or smell something and we go straight back to earlier times. The fading in and out of the BBC announcer, the hiss and warble of a signal coming from home, takes me back to Jebel Ali.

The news then seemed like news. Great events happened in those years.

I remember listening to the news of the fall of the Shah of Iran, just 90 miles away across a disputed Gulf. For a kid living abroad for the first time it was heady stuff. Old hands on the site reassured me, but they listened to every word on the BBC too.

I still listen from time to time. I could get it via the Internet, but it's nicer when I get it on shortwave, thr crackle and hiss, the missed words, the fading....
Seriously I wish we had a LIKE button same as on Facebook.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:11 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Seriously I wish we had a LIKE button same as on Facebook.
What is the speaking clock number?
Old May 27th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zambia
depends what time you call
Old May 27th 2012, 12:20 pm
Not allowed opinions.

I wrote a bit about it here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=643322&page=3
Old May 27th 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My kids asked me for the time this morning ( I was in a beautiful slumber!) and my watch loses a lot of time these days.

Does 'Straya have a speaking clock?

Beep...beep....BEEP!!!

(That should keep us happy for a while. I'm rather hoping Australia doesn't so that we can pour scorn and vitriol.)
dunno, but appear to have no shortage of 'speaking cocks'! You only have to sift through here for evidence of that
Old May 28th 2012, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

In the late 70s I worked in Dubai. It seems like a couple of years ago, but it was nearly 35.

There was no email, no internet, and newspapers were about 4 days old when we got them. I shared a villa with two older guys, and on the table in the kitchen was a shortwave radio locked into the BBC World Service. We would listen to the news every night, and of course the football results.

Such good memories.
Meanwhile somewhere in perf... 2012.......... Families everywhere are recreating life in Dubai circa 1970
Old May 28th 2012, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Meanwhile somewhere in perf... 2012.......... Families everywhere are recreating life in Dubai circa 1970
My Daughters over there now.... enjoyed sitting in the sun yesterday in her Tshirt and shorts. First reports "Not as dead on a Sunday as they'd expected"

It's going to be interesting having a close relation in Perth.
Old May 28th 2012, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
It's annoying...not easy to remember. (I hate this country etc etc and am working myself up to a state of frenzy....etc )

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Me too. I used to LOVE the shipping forecast all those strange names. Cromarty Forth Dogger Tyne...
I believe a name that once belonged to my family comes up in one of them. Lol.

My old man would listen to it - then turn off the radio - pronto.

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
dunno, but appear to have no shortage of 'speaking c**ks'! You only have to sift through here for evidence of that
I am a c**k and so is my wife.