South Korea

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 3:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default South Korea

Because of work commitments it looks like my son and I have a week on our own during the October school holidays. We've done camping, cycling and hiking trips together but now we are looking at something overseas. He's expressed an interest in going to Seoul (he's into all this Asian pop culture). I'm up for this too so has anyone been there? Is it worth a visit? What's good to see and do there?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Korea

I spent a few years working in South Korea.

I think it is worth a visit, but it is very sleek and modern - and very light on things most Westerners go to Asia expecting to see. It's a city for business rather than tourism.

But I still enjoy it and think you will also.

There will be plenty of self-walking tours available and so on. It's a cheap city to eat in provided you are eating Korean food - many Seoul residents eat out every night of the week! When you start eating Western food, then it gets expensive.

Public transport is comprehensive and as a small, densely populated country, train travels most places. Not worth it in my view to hire a car unless you are going to go outside the city, and even then, maybe not.

Pyeongchang - where the Winter Olympics will be - won't be far and October might be a good time to hire a car, head out that way and do some bushwalking there as a one- or two-day break from the big city in your trip.

You will likely land in Incheon, which is a separate city from Seoul, but urban sprawl has basically amalgamated them. Plenty of quality transport from Incheon into Seoul.

There are some small islands off the coast of Incheon that are worth a day trip as well to see country life without having to go too far.

Gyeongju is the cultural heart of the country and it is in the central-south - though on a week long trip I doubt you will have time to get there, particularly if you are looking at day trips around Seoul.

Koreans love to bushwalk and so you will find lots of nature guides and so on.

Don't go into it thinking it will be similar to Japan because they are so close - I find South Korea and Japan to be completely different.

Korean has an alphabet rather than "kanji" or Chinese script, so even though it does not look like a Western language, if you learn the letters and how they are written, you should be able to figure out how to read basic signs and so on.

Due to the huge US military presence there is also local English-language TV run by the US Armed Forces - so you won't be stuck with Korean channels or CNN business in your hotel when you come back for the evening.

Go. Enjoy.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

I think it is worth a visit, but it is very sleek and modern - and very light on things most Westerners go to Asia expecting to see. It's a city for business rather than tourism.

There will be plenty of self-walking tours available and so on. It's a cheap city to eat in provided you are eating Korean food - many Seoul residents eat out every night of the week! When you start eating Western food, then it gets expensive.

Public transport is comprehensive and as a small, densely populated country, train travels most places. Not worth it in my view to hire a car unless you are going to go outside the city, and even then, maybe not.

Pyeongchang - where the Winter Olympics will be - won't be far and October might be a good time to hire a car, head out that way and do some bushwalking there as a one- or two-day break from the big city in your trip.

You will likely land in Incheon, which is a separate city from Seoul, but urban sprawl has basically amalgamated them. Plenty of quality transport from Incheon into Seoul.

There are some small islands off the coast of Incheon that are worth a day trip as well to see country life without having to go too far.

Gyeongju is the cultural heart of the country and it is in the central-south - though on a week long trip I doubt you will have time to get there, particularly if you are looking at day trips around Seoul.

Don't go into it thinking it will be similar to Japan because they are so close - I find South Korea and Japan to be completely different.

Korean has an alphabet rather than "kanji" or Chinese script, so even though it does not look like a Western language, if you learn the letters and how they are written, you should be able to figure out how to read basic signs and so on.

Due to the huge US military presence there is also local English-language TV run by the US Armed Forces - so you won't be stuck with Korean channels or CNN business in your hotel when you come back for the evening.

Go. Enjoy.
Cool, awesome reply. What about visiting the border with NK? I believe it's easy to do?

As with a lot of boys his age (14), he's into weapons and military stuff (as am I). Is there things to see about the Korean war?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

There should be lots of stuff around about the Korean War. It is easy to visit the visitor's section of the DMZ - which I believe is at Panmunjom - I never went but know people who did - though I forget if you can do it on your own or have to go on an organised tour. But there should be tons of info online or once you arrive, on how to do so. Visits there are very popular.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

Go. Enjoy.
Awesome reply - seconded. Not looking at travelling any time soon but that's great info to cut & paste into a text file and put into the 'places I want to go' folder!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Because of work commitments it looks like my son and I have a week on our own during the October school holidays. We've done camping, cycling and hiking trips together but now we are looking at something overseas. He's expressed an interest in going to Seoul (he's into all this Asian pop culture). I'm up for this too so has anyone been there? Is it worth a visit? What's good to see and do there?
Yeah, been there 'once or twice'

Regarding the trip to the DMZ, there are two types. One for regular tourists that be attended pretty much every day of the week but will have to book in advance as there are specific requirements regarding passports, ID and associated info. If you are in a hotel, they should be able to arrange this a couple of days in advance.

The other trip is( or was) on available on Wed and it goes much closer the actual DMZ and is lees 'hype' but more interesting. This trip is only for folks that have zero connection with Korea (ie, Korean citizens/ expats are strictly not allowed) so we could not do this one. As far as I can tell, it takes way more planning.

The regular trip is good though, bit of faffing around with getting on one bus, then another, then handing passports over, then having an overblown US military type make a big song and dance about checking passports, again. Then you're in.

Once actually in the area, there is a museum that shows a film that mainly concentrates on the efforts to preserve the wildlife in the DMZ by clearing mines so that Bambi and Thumper don't lose 25 members of their extended families . It's kind of weird.

You can go down one of the tunnels and see the blast marks on the walls. There is a station there with a 'peace train' that is waiting for the day it can make the crossing. Here you can get a stamp in your passport that has doves on it (it's a token nod that you were close to NK but nothing official).

Depending where you are staying in Seoul, it can be a long day or a short one. I think the day we went were staying with relatives nr Ilsan (north) so pick up and drop off were quick and the whole thing was done in half a day.

Lotte World is worth a visit, huge department store. You could take the KTX to Busan for the day, it doesn't take long and it's a nice coastal place mixed with a working and busy port (lots of Russians).

The palace gate is also good for traditional ceremonies and dress. There is a very good 'war museum' with all sorts of things from modern military to the ancient 'turtle ships'.

Re gift shops. Every organised tour will ensure that you see every gift shop known to man. Re gift shops in general, Koreans have yet to grasp the concept of 'just looking'. If you're in their shop, they expect you buy something but don't be intimidated . (this only applies to tourist gift shops).

Department stores are full of assistants falling over themselves to help you. Usually means things are not cheap but by god you feel like you got your money's worth

Re car: Get the hotel to arrange a taxi driver for the day. Koreans have a very good sense of honour, you won't be ripped off and they will be there when say they will. Public transport, you can get the LINK bus that does circuits of the CBD in either direction, very easy and cheap. Subway is cheap, maybe a bit confusing if you can't read Korean but generally ok on the well trodden paths. Every taxi has an interpretation phone inside it.

Learn some lingo:

Anyohasayo = hello

Anyohesayo = goodbye . (there is a different word depending on who is leaving but dont stress about it)

Consamneda = thank you

Chogeyo = excuse me or 'can i have your attention'

Hankook = Korea(n)

Hoju = Australian

Mekju = beer

Aju majisayo = very tasty

Mani pisayo = very expensive

Mani sayo = very cheap

Ajuma = woman (use this when addressing women, it's not rude)

Ajacee = man (same as above)

Chusayo = . 'can I have' for example at the bar 'mekju chusayo' = 'can i have a beer'

More later

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jul 23rd 2017 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Yeah, been there 'once or twice'

Regarding the trip to the DMZ, there are two types. One for regular tourists that be attended pretty much every day of the week but will have to book in advance as there are specific requirements regarding passports, ID and associated info. If you are in a hotel, they should be able to arrange this a couple of days in advance.

The other trip is( or was) on available on Wed and it goes much closer the actual DMZ and is lees 'hype' but more interesting. This trip is only for folks that have zero connection with Korea (ie, Korean citizens/ expats are strictly not allowed) so we could not do this one. As far as I can tell, it takes way more planning.

The regular trip is good though, bit of faffing around with getting on one bus, then another, then handing passports over, then having an overblown US military type make a big song and dance about checking passports, again. Then you're in.

Once actually in the area, there is a museum that shows a film that mainly concentrates on the efforts to preserve the wildlife in the DMZ by clearing mines so that Bambi and Thumper don't lose 25 members of their extended families . It's kind of weird.

You can go down one of the tunnels and see the blast marks on the walls. There is a station there with a 'peace train' that is waiting for the day it can make the crossing. Here you can get a stamp in your passport that has doves on it (it's a token nod that you were close to NK but nothing official).

Depending where you are staying in Seoul, it can be a long day or a short one. I think the day we went were staying with relatives nr Ilsan (north) so pick up and drop off were quick and the whole thing was done in half a day.

Lotte World is worth a visit, huge department store. You could take the KTX to Busan for the day, it doesn't take long and it's a nice coastal place mixed with a working and busy port (lots of Russians).

The palace gate is also good for traditional ceremonies and dress. There is a very good 'war museum' with all sorts of things from modern military to the ancient 'turtle ships'.

Re gift shops. Every organised tour will ensure that you see every gift shop known to man. Re gift shops in general, Koreans have yet to grasp the concept of 'just looking'. If you're in their shop, they expect you buy something but don't be intimidated . (this only applies to tourist gift shops).

Department stores are full of assistants falling over themselves to help you. Usually means things are not cheap but by god you feel like you got your money's worth

Re car: Get the hotel to arrange a taxi driver for the day. Koreans have a very good sense of honour, you won't be ripped off and they will be there when say they will. Public transport, you can get the LINK bus that does circuits of the CBD in either direction, very easy and cheap. Subway is cheap, maybe a bit confusing if you can't read Korean but generally ok on the well trodden paths. Every taxi has an interpretation phone inside it.

Learn some lingo:

Anyohasayo = hello

Anyohesayo = goodbye . (there is a different word depending on who is leaving but dont stress about it)

Consamneda = thank you

Chogeyo = excuse me or 'can i have your attention'

Hankook = Korea(n)

Hoju = Australian

Mekju = beer

Aju majisayo = very tasty

Mani pisayo = very expensive

Mani sayo = very cheap

Ajuma = woman (use this when addressing women, it's not rude)

Ajacee = man (same as above)

Chusayo = . 'can I have' for example at the bar 'mekju chusayo' = 'can i have a beer'

More later
Consamneda