Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

sos anyone with a nationwide card reader

sos anyone with a nationwide card reader

Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough
Default sos anyone with a nationwide card reader

Hi all,
Strange request,
Just been trying to do a transfer from our uk nationwide account to Hifx, to be told that we can't without a card reader:curse::curse:
We don't have a card reader!!
Theres nothing we can do say Nationwide!!

So just wondering if there is anyone in the gold coast area (near biggera waters) that may have one that we can use, if they are not personal to individual accounts.

Thanks, apart from that and not yet finding a rental all is good for our first week down under.

Claire and Dave
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Re: sos anyone with a nationwide card reader

Originally Posted by hunt66
Hi all,
Strange request,
Just been trying to do a transfer from our uk nationwide account to Hifx, to be told that we can't without a card reader:curse::curse:

So just wondering if there is anyone in the gold coast area (near biggera waters) that may have one that we can use, if they are not personal to individual accounts.

Thanks, apart from that and not yet finding a rental all is good for our first week down under.

Claire and Dave
we very luckily realised this a short time ago...

sorry i cant help you..but if there is anyone who needs a card reader for barclays in Sydney...we have one with us.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
we very luckily realised this a short time ago...

sorry i cant help you..but if there is anyone who needs a card reader for barclays in Sydney...we have one with us.
ps..you are going to find that to do any kind of payment with your internet banking you are going to need a card reader
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

ps..you are going to find that to do any kind of payment with your internet banking you are going to need a card reader
Is that true of all UK banks then? And when did it come into force? It's just I have, in the past, transferred money over from my HSBC acct in the UK to my Australian bank account (not with HSBC) and it's been fine.

Bit worried now as we still have some money in the UK and if it's "stuck" there without this "card reader" thing then we're buggered!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TillyG
Is that true of all UK banks then? And when did it come into force? It's just I have, in the past, transferred money over from my HSBC acct in the UK to my Australian bank account (not with HSBC) and it's been fine.

Bit worried now as we still have some money in the UK and if it's "stuck" there without this "card reader" thing then we're buggered!
Not sure if this applies to all Banks but definitely the Nationwide, might be worth checking if you need one before you try to transfer money.
Claire
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if this applies to all Banks but definitely the Nationwide, might be worth checking if you need one before you try to transfer money.
Claire
Thanks Claire... I've just dropped an email to my brother who works at HO for HSBC to see what he says. I've never even *heard* of these card-reader things!!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:43 pm
a bit nearer

darendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nice

i'm still in the uk so can't help , but they (nationwide) sent me one through the post last week,great i thought a new calculator!
haven't tried it yet
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

tagnut69 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has had one for her Barcleys account for about 6 months now, my old man has one for Nat West too. With out it she cant even get in to the account let alone move anything
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

my oh got one for his nationwide account was sent out in feb of this yr - parents brought it over in april

sorry cant lend it as we are in perth
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all,
Strange request,

Claire and Dave
dont forget though...you can always try and use your debit card to make the payment to hifx when you are on the phone to them...we have done a few transfers now with hifx and the last time we actually gave the card number to the trader guy on the phone....just to see if it would go through...it was £8k and it went through...worth a try if you cant get hold of the card reader.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just to let you know, in case any of you have money with HSBC in the UK - they haven't got those card-readers and have no plans to at the moment as they reckon their fraud dept is sh*t-hot and so at the moment it's not worth the outlay to introduce card-readers as their fraud-related-losses don't justify it. I was told that a big one-off payment/transfer may raise flags/alarms more than several smaller ones. In the past, I've always found their fraud dept to be really efficient (I remember going to Comet/Currys one day and spending a small fortune on white goods for our new house and I got a phone call that evening to make sure it was me doing it, before they processed the transactions)
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dont forget though...you can always try and use your debit card to make the payment to hifx when you are on the phone to them...we have done a few transfers now with hifx and the last time we actually gave the card number to the trader guy on the phone....just to see if it would go through...it was £8k and it went through...worth a try if you cant get hold of the card reader.
Hi thanks for the reply, i phoned and asked Hifx but they can't do it from australia, so got to try again.
Thanks again
Claire
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

Hi all,
Strange request,

Claire and Dave
We had this issue last week - needed to do a hifx transfer and lost the reader! Had to go into the branch and do it with theirs. Sorry - not much help to you!

Can you not phone and ask them to send a new one to your registerd address and than ask someone to post it onto you?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:01 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We have a card reader for Nationwide we are in Brisbane though. Not sure if it is for the individual account. You have to out your card and pin in so maybe not.

Natwest also have card readers now

Jo
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

SuzyandAsh will become famous soon enoughSuzyandAsh will become famous soon enough

Hi all,
Strange request,

Claire and Dave

Hi,

Nationwide were in the process of sending them out to all their customers when I left UK in June but all I did was go into the branch and ask for one! I have one but unfortunatly I'm in Perth.

Is there nobody that can collect 1 from a branch for you and send it out? They not linked to specific cards.. You just put your card in and tap PIN no in.

Good Luck x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.