Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sorry to be gloomy but....am I a real cow??

Sorry to be gloomy but....am I a real cow??

Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:46 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sorry to be gloomy but....am I a real cow??

Hello all,
I know the Barbie is usually a very 'upbeat' hang out - but didn't know which other forum to post in - and need some words of support to bolster my flagging spirit!!
Have been forging ahead with our plans but meeting resistance from my elder sister and emotional blackmail BIG style. Have been coping well with constant 'how could you do this to our family' stance but beginning to grind me down and getting p'eed off now!
She has finally resorted to reminding me that we will be 'leaving our baby son's grave behind' - Ouch! Our first son died 12 years ago, but feel that although he will never be forgotten, leaving his 'body' behind does feel disloyal ( it is hard actually) - but short of exhuming, what does she expect me to do??
Feels like a really low life dirty stunt to pull on me - I know she is upset, I feel like after this time passing, we are entitled to consider ourselves and our living kids primarily, but this constant kicking is beginning to impact.
I am trying to see her point of view and common sense tells me she is resorting to any ploy she can BUT the irrational side of me think, am I a heartless cow of a mother ?? Paranoia settling in deep, and I could do with an independant view! Opinions, please ( but be gentle!)
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry to be gloomy but....am I a real cow??

Give em some of that . . . . and all the best for doing what's right by you and yours.

Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:57 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rahrah
Hello all,
I know the Barbie is usually a very 'upbeat' hang out - but didn't know which other forum to post in - and need some words of support to bolster my flagging spirit!!
Have been forging ahead with our plans but meeting resistance from my elder sister and emotional blackmail BIG style. Have been coping well with constant 'how could you do this to our family' stance but beginning to grind me down and getting p'eed off now!
She has finally resorted to reminding me that we will be 'leaving our baby son's grave behind' - Ouch! Our first son died 12 years ago, but feel that although he will never be forgotten, leaving his 'body' behind does feel disloyal ( it is hard actually) - but short of exhuming, what does she expect me to do??
Feels like a really low life dirty stunt to pull on me - I know she is upset, I feel like after this time passing, we are entitled to consider ourselves and our living kids primarily, but this constant kicking is beginning to impact.
I am trying to see her point of view and common sense tells me she is resorting to any ploy she can BUT the irrational side of me think, am I a heartless cow of a mother ?? Paranoia settling in deep, and I could do with an independant view! Opinions, please ( but be gentle!)
Oh dear, this is awful for you. I've seen plenty of threads here were folk have been in the firing line of plenty of awful comments from their friends and family. I suppose a number of reasons, anger, frustration, envy and to some level a feeling of grief of a future loss. I know my mum keeps making light hearted comments about me leaving everyone behind and missing out on my neice growing up. But nothing as insensitive as your sister.

I know it's difficult. Perhaps saying to your sister that you understand that she may be feeling upset and angry and while you can accept this, you have a level of understanding and that you have reached it.

I'm sure someone will post here who is going through the same thing.

Try and stay focused on what you want, why you are doing it and keep on marching forward!

Good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:58 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus she's some sister to have,im in agreement with my learned friend Spartyarse,tell her where to go
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:02 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Christ, that's a bit low isn't it!

Your sister may well be panicking that if you're on the other side of the world, she'll be the one to deal with everything in your absence. She'll be thinking if your mum and dad get sick, or something goes wrong... People don't always say what they mean...

Your parents didn't have you so that you could 'owe' them later on. You're on the earth to live a life the best way you can and if going to Australia and stepping out on your own is important to you, then you go for it.

I would suggest a really nice coffee out with your sis, and have a non-confrontational chat with her, about how you really want to do this thing but at the same time reassure her that she's not being left with all the responsibilities... that if anything happens, you'll be on the first plane, or that you'll help financially if you can.... But also tell her that you need her to be happy for her because if she isn't, it will spoil things between you and you don't want that.
Tell her that you agree that leaving behind your son's grave is incredibly difficult but that you know a grave is just a grave and it's what's in your heart that is the most important thing. His memories go with you inside you there... it's portable ... a grave is just where the physical part ended for you ... spirits and memories live on.

Tell her you understand she is upset, but make it clear you are not abandoning her, that a new adventure awaits her too when she visits you, and that you too will be back to visit her.

In many ways, it's unfair of her to be doing this, but people respond differently and it's you doing the moving... You can't always have it work the way you want. Saying that, she needs to stop being so negative and look towards the opportunities too. She's just scared by the sound of it. Fear makes people blame others... Reassure her... you're causing the upheaval at the end of the day but you don't have to take the abuse either... it's about finding the middle ground for you all. Understanding other people but being fair with how much you're taking on board too.
And tell her the jibe about your son was low... though I suspect she already knows that because it really smacks of desperation.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:02 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
That's disgraceful behaviour using that type of emotional blackmail against you. Really disgusting! I cannot fathom how someone could possibly use that type of ploy against you, especially a relation!
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

What a hurtful and insensitive thing to say.

All I can suggest is that you keep going with your plans. Can you explain to her that you have this dream that you want to follow. That you hope it works out but if not then you can come back. And that life is too short to have dreams in life....you want memories and that the loss of your son has taught you that.

If she can't understand it ask her not to discuss it with you again.

As for being a heartless mother. Absolutely not. As I have said above, life is too short. Keep going with what is right for you.

You can't take your son with you but that doesn't mean you don't care and don't think about him. As I said insensitive and I hope she feels ashamed of herself.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:07 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
I don't know you or your situation. So I can say, objectively, that your sister is being quite inconsiderate.

Her comments on your son are foolish, but don't hold that against her. I don't think that she even genuinely believes what she is saying. It is more likely that she is very emotional and does not know what to do or say.

She does not want you to leave. You need to find out why, focus on her legitimate concerns, and discard all others.

Ultimately, your sister needs to understand that a family unit is not destroyed when some members move to other cities or countries. Instead, the family adapts.

Has your sister ever moved away from her hometown, away from your parents, or lived overseas for any time? If the answer is "yes", then I find it hard to understand her position.

Good luck - moving to live in another country is not always smooth sailing.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:14 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Christ, that's a bit low isn't it!

Your sister may well be panicking that if you're on the other side of the world, she'll be the one to deal with everything in your absence. She'll be thinking if your mum and dad get sick, or something goes wrong... People don't always say what they mean...

Your parents didn't have you so that you could 'owe' them later on. You're on the earth to live a life the best way you can and if going to Australia and stepping out on your own is important to you, then you go for it.

I would suggest a really nice coffee out with your sis, and have a non-confrontational chat with her, about how you really want to do this thing but at the same time reassure her that she's not being left with all the responsibilities... that if anything happens, you'll be on the first plane, or that you'll help financially if you can.... But also tell her that you need her to be happy for her because if she isn't, it will spoil things between you and you don't want that.
Tell her that you agree that leaving behind your son's grave is incredibly difficult but that you know a grave is just a grave and it's what's in your heart that is the most important thing. His memories go with you inside you there... it's portable ... a grave is just where the physical part ended for you ... spirits and memories live on.

Tell her you understand she is upset, but make it clear you are not abandoning her, that a new adventure awaits her too when she visits you, and that you too will be back to visit her.

In many ways, it's unfair of her to be doing this, but people respond differently and it's you doing the moving... You can't always have it work the way you want. Saying that, she needs to stop being so negative and look towards the opportunities too. She's just scared by the sound of it. Fear makes people blame others... Reassure her... you're causing the upheaval at the end of the day but you don't have to take the abuse either... it's about finding the middle ground for you all. Understanding other people but being fair with how much you're taking on board too.
And tell her the jibe about your son was low... though I suspect she already knows that because it really smacks of desperation.

I love reading your posts Tiddlypom. I genuinely think that you need your own forum, blog, newspaper article, etc.

Looking forward to reading many more.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

I love reading your posts Tiddlypom. I genuinely think that you need your own forum, blog, newspaper article, etc.

Looking forward to reading many more.
Well said and totally agree.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:18 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Awww - thanks for taking time to give all your words of support - some good advice there!! (as ever!!!)
I will try to remain open to trying to continue to get her to talk on a more useful level and not respond back emotively.
Feeling much more chipper now..............Cheers to you all!X!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
Wow, your sister has well and truly pulled a very low blow there.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

Your son goes where your heart goes

Your sister was very wrong to say this but is obviously at desperation stage because she loves you very much.

Good Luck with following your dreams, believe me it will be worth it

Lo. xxx
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm Thats hitting below the belt is'nt it regarding your deceased son!I think I would of just told her actually that was totally unacceptable.I know when people leave right,you want to leave on good terms don't you and want their blessing?I think I would tell her that, myself.I had a similar issue with my twin when I announced I was'nt returning to Australia.She did'nt talk to me for months.Very unfair I thought.I would say your sister is swinging between being envious and fear of losing you.Keep your chin up and stand firm.All the best and keep focussed on the positive.xx
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:59 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
What I'd suggest you do is to answer (honestly) one question - whose interest is she serving by making your life miserable? It may so happen she is, being an older one, thinks she can just make you do things, the way little kids do it. I have two blondes growing up and see daily examples of manipulation. I try not to push back on that (although sometimes I have to just cut the crap, you know) but rather ask them to explain what are they trying to achieve. Once they see a simpler way to get what they want, they sort things out themselves, and it works much better than just asking them to stop doing what they are doing. Forward thinking wins.

If you believe your quality of life improves after you move, go for it. Take opinions of the people you trust into account, to accommodate their needs as much as you can, but do not have them make decisions for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.