Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Soooooo....we're off again....

Soooooo....we're off again....

Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:44 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soooooo....we're off again....

Originally Posted by koalakim
You'll acclimatise within a few months I'm sure, I've seen ex-pats there wearing jeans without melting! Having said that I don't think many people actually step outside much, apt to cab, to office, underground linked shopping malls, think it's only us visitors who dare to step into the sun

Actually Jan is quite a good time to go as it's a bit cooler, kind of....

My friends thought they'd only be there a couple of years and it's been over 10 now as they love it.
Ooh, that's encouraging! We kind of hope we'll love it that much too. Australia hasn't been what I'd hoped (the husband loves it) but if nothing else some time away will be good to get some perspective.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

There is quite a good Singapore ex-pats forum (another one ) which has lots of helpful info on it, where to find stuff etc.

The main thing to remember in Singapore is be flexible, a bit like coming to Oz as they are also very proud of their country and the way they do things. When interacting you also have to remember the "loss of face" and there are a few other etiquettes that it might be worth reading up on especially for business.

Then whilst you are there you can take advantage of weekend trips to nearby Malaysia, the Maldives are a popular long weekend destination as it's only 4 hours away.

And shopping and eating....it's a major hobby over there! Gosh, I'm getting all excited for you, tbh I'd be more excited going to live in Singapore than Oz lol! However, it's not a place for everyone but I/we've always felt very at home there in the 20 odd years we've been going.

Please pop in from time to time and let us know how you are getting on!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedT
Well exactly, we would never have dreamed of this kind of opportunity when we lived in Bromley (!) so it seems rude not to jump in with both feet. Will miss my little niece and nephew terribly but I suppose there's always Skype...

Cheers Steve!
you coming round the nags before you go?