Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sons mate and family moving to Cairns

Sons mate and family moving to Cairns

Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sons mate and family moving to Cairns

One of my sons school friends is moving up to Cairns. Not a big deal, except my Son and his mates have been invited to visit fairly soon. Early 2012. It would be a big trip for him being only 13 and I've got a few concerns. Especially as the family are moving to the edge of Cairns to a 2 acre property.

Being boys they like to get out and about exploring... how close are the Crocs to waterways in Cairns ?

The other concern is the Father goes hunting quite a bit and promised to take the boys with him. I'm not 100 pct sure about all of this. Apparently my Sons 13 year old mate regularly fires off guns and has shot animals before. I'm not even sure if thats legal... which doesnt worry me that much... although I reckon a group of 4X13 year olds and the Father and fathers friends may not be the greatest of mixes... Especially as my Son and his Melbourne mates aren't used to that kind of enviornment.

Last Concern is the Father being a typical outback type of person, likes to play with Pyro things... makes his own fireworks and bombs and things. I can see why my son is itching to go.

So what would you do... Believe it or not I'm mostly worried about the boys wandering and trying their luck unsupervised at a local waterhole and not believing that Crocs are dangerous.

I'll try and get the exact location asap.

So do I let my Son go... Pretty sure he wont exactly enjoy shooting animals when it comes down to it. Unless they are for eating...

Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:41 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sons mate and family moving to Cairns

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One of my sons school friends is moving up to Cairns. Not a big deal, except my Son and his mates have been invited to visit fairly soon. Early 2012. It would be a big trip for him being only 13 and I've got a few concerns. Especially as the family are moving to the edge of Cairns to a 2 acre property.

Being boys they like to get out and about exploring... how close are the Crocs to waterways in Cairns ?

The other concern is the Father goes hunting quite a bit and promised to take the boys with him. I'm not 100 pct sure about all of this. Apparently my Sons 13 year old mate regularly fires off guns and has shot animals before. I'm not even sure if thats legal... which doesnt worry me that much... although I reckon a group of 4X13 year olds and the Father and fathers friends may not be the greatest of mixes... Especially as my Son and his Melbourne mates aren't used to that kind of enviornment.

Last Concern is the Father being a typical outback type of person, likes to play with Pyro things... makes his own fireworks and bombs and things. I can see why my son is itching to go.

So what would you do... Believe it or not I'm mostly worried about the boys wandering and trying their luck unsupervised at a local waterhole and not believing that Crocs are dangerous.

So do I let my Son go... Pretty sure he wont exactly enjoy shooting animals when it comes down to it. Unless they are for eating...

We moved to North QLD when my son was 11 and we told him repeatedly that it was safer to assume there was a croc in every waterhole or creek and to avoid unless he had our permission to go near it. There are a few safe croc-free waterholes which the locals will know about as they are popular places to cool off. Get your son to read this...that's if you decide to let him go. Not sure I like the sound of the dad myself.

http://ozmagic.homestead.com/austral...leattacks.html
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

How about speaking to the boy's mother, explain your concerns to her and see what she says - have you heard it from the father himself re his exploits or is his son embellishing some stories? At the end of the day you are potentially entrusting your son into their care, so you have every right to ask the questions about his safety.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There are crocs all around the Cairns area but seriously snakes would be more of a worry up there. I go up there quite often to look for snakes and other wildlife.
There is no way in the world I would allow my 13 year old to go hunting or hold a gun, I am very anti gun and can see no good at all in letting a 13 year old fire one. That is my own personal view.
The thought of a 13 year old shooting animals turns my stomach.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
How about speaking to the boy's mother, explain your concerns to her and see what she says - have you heard it from the father himself re his exploits or is his son embellishing some stories? At the end of the day you are potentially entrusting your son into their care, so you have every right to ask the questions about his safety.
Good point, there may be a bit of tall story-telling going on. My reaction, though, would be to say "no way" (I have a 13 year old boy too).
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'd shot guns before I was 13, it was great fun. It would be an experience for your son, especially if he shot, killed and ate something.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:49 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

There is an underbelly type hunting thing that goes on even around the close hills of Cairns mainly for boar.
There is an official culling system but their numbers still get out of hand so there are a lot of unofficial hunts. They do major destruction to farmland, plantations, orchards and even venture into peoples gardens in the suburbs.

Some of the hunts are with the black fellas for trackers and some without. The ferals love to get out there with their spears and knives to prove their manhood but also take the guns. They often have pig dogs that rip anything apart that gets in their way. Really nasty critters.

You won't see many crocs but for sure they won't be far away. There are large drainage systems and creeks throughout the city, suburbs and region that flow out to sea and via the mangroves; popular places for crocs. There's one 50 meters from my house which is dry this time of year but I would not risk standing close to it at night during the wet season as it links into the Barron River where there are always crocs.

The local "safe" swimming spot by the Barron has had to be closed due to the crocs and they often close the beaches for a few days each year due to them. Couple of times they've found them in the stinger nets in the mornings.

The croc numbers have increased a lot in recent years due to protectionist laws. Most interested parties agree the time for a cull has arrived but as usual government won't listen even to their own people so we are going to see more and more attacks; let's hope it's not deaths.

Snakes have not been too problematic in the area. It tends to be the pythons that make the headlines because of some roof they took up residence in or some pet animal they've devoured. The very nasty ones are defo about though........no walking in long grass. Coastal Taipans and Death Adders are as bad as you would want to see.

Now I've made you totally paranoid haven't I?

It's really not like that at all. On a daily basis you don't think about it but the awareness is tucked away in a convenient spot of subconsciousness. But, on a daily basis we don't go where your son is likely to be going and not many people do.

I don't know what that guy is like but if he's typical Cairns material the pioneer attitude will be prevalent and "She'll be right" will be the order of the day. I would not be comfortable with it at all.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'd shot guns before I was 13, it was great fun. It would be an experience for your son, especially if he shot, killed and ate something.
That explains a lot ...
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I don't know what that guy is like but if he's typical Cairns material the pioneer attitude will be prevalent and "She'll be right" will be the order of the day. I would not be comfortable with it at all.
Read everything above... .I want my son to have Amazulu's experience. However probably not with this particular father. As your right on the money with this one Bix.

Snakes aren't that big an issue for us, as we've done plenty of bush stuff here in Vic and we've encountered Tiger snakes before under logs etc. So he would be naturally wary of those.

It's the curosity and lack of knowledge and fear about Crocs that would worry me the most... He would almost certainly want to see one in the wild I reckon, no matter what I said.. Then there's the Guns... which I think they would probably be ok with.

Damn... means he probably can't go without me. I best check out the other Parents and see what they think.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:29 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
There is an underbelly type hunting thing that goes on even around the close hills of Cairns mainly for boar.
There is an official culling system but their numbers still get out of hand so there are a lot of unofficial hunts. They do major destruction to farmland, plantations, orchards and even venture into peoples gardens in the suburbs.

Some of the hunts are with the black fellas for trackers and some without. The ferals love to get out there with their spears and knives to prove their manhood but also take the guns. They often have pig dogs that rip anything apart that gets in their way. Really nasty critters.

You won't see many crocs but for sure they won't be far away. There are large drainage systems and creeks throughout the city, suburbs and region that flow out to sea and via the mangroves; popular places for crocs. There's one 50 meters from my house which is dry this time of year but I would not risk standing close to it at night during the wet season as it links into the Barron River where there are always crocs.

The local "safe" swimming spot by the Barron has had to be closed due to the crocs and they often close the beaches for a few days each year due to them. Couple of times they've found them in the stinger nets in the mornings.

The croc numbers have increased a lot in recent years due to protectionist laws. Most interested parties agree the time for a cull has arrived but as usual government won't listen even to their own people so we are going to see more and more attacks; let's hope it's not deaths.

Snakes have not been too problematic in the area. It tends to be the pythons that make the headlines because of some roof they took up residence in or some pet animal they've devoured. The very nasty ones are defo about though........no walking in long grass. Coastal Taipans and Death Adders are as bad as you would want to see.

It's really not like that at all. On a daily basis you don't think about it but the awareness is tucked away in a convenient spot of subconsciousness. But, on a daily basis we don't go where your son is likely to be going and not many people do.

I couldn't have put it better myself mate

Ozzie.....your kid is your most precious assett. Sod upsetting anyone. This guy quite frankly sounds irrisponsible and I wouldn't be letting my kid go without me that's for sure.

Your call but I'd say no.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly don't want either of my sons to 'experience' killing something not that they have any interest in it as they are well balanced kids. The thought of my boys going bush with someone as hung ho sounding this bloke sets off alarm bells.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:22 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

I've encountered some pretty nauseating losers who brag about sticking pigs and torturing 'roos up here. Regardless of the crocs do you want him hanging around with these neandathals. Think of a more exciting substitute (but secretly safer and less morally repulsive) holiday?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Hopefully that 'something' wasn't one of his school pals.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My wife already reiterated the same sentiments as most on here. It's going to be difficult getting this past my son, especially if some of his other mates go from down here.

Oh well will have to find a very good distraction and substitute...Could be a slightly expensive one.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:10 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

My wife already reiterated the same sentiments as most on here. It's going to be difficult getting this past my son, especially if some of his other mates go from down here.

Oh well will have to find a very good distraction and substitute...Could be a slightly expensive one.
Often our kids don't thank us for making tough decisions.

Until they get older and become parents themselves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.