Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Songs that remind you of Australia

Wikiposts

Songs that remind you of Australia

Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:14 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Songs that remind you of Australia

Im not talking about silly songs (but thats ok too).

The song for me that makes me think about Australia when I wasnt here is a classical tune by Mozart, Concerto for clarinet in A major Adagio which was also on the soundtrack for the film "out of africa"

A lovely tune that reminds me of an Australian evening, after a long hot day, just as the sun subsides and you sit outside with a lovely southerly blowing. You cant beat it (the feeling or the music)

Anyone have any better tunes than that ?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:34 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Songs that remind you of Australia

I always think of Men At Work "I come from a land downunder" I was very young at the time and it always made me wonder what Australia was like. Never in my wildest dreams did i think i'd ever be living here!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

My son singing " Give me a home amongst the gum trees" at his school assembly, looking like any other Aussie kid, knowing all the words...>Insert tears here...<

...also the national anthem...very proud to be singing it (again at school), makes the hairs on my arms stand up.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:39 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

808 state
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:42 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I always think of Men At Work "I come from a land downunder" I was very young at the time and it always made me wonder what Australia was like. Never in my wildest dreams did i think i'd ever be living here!
You had to spoil it didnt ya... Here I was (after reading the confit de canard thread), feeling like everyone here was of a better class than the usual yobs and probably hold more couth than the queen herself and you respond with men at work ? How unbecoming of you. At the very least I would have expected maybe "overkill" accoustic version by colin hay (from men at work).
Surely Madam you will reconsider ?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:48 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
You had to spoil it didnt ya... Here I was (after reading the confit de canard thread), feeling like everyone here was of a better class than the usual yobs and probably hold more couth than the queen herself and you respond with men at work ? How unbecoming of you. At the very least I would have expected maybe "overkill" accoustic version by colin hay (from men at work).
Surely Madam you will reconsider ?

Hmmm.. reconsider? ok

Rolf Harris "I'm Jake the peg".... diddle diddle dum with the extra leg diddle diidle dum
I'm showing my age now........................ and my class
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

BazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the roughBazzaMatthews is a jewel in the rough

I've got two -

1)very apt choice for 11/11 as this is an ANZAC day favouirite - 'And the band played waltzing matilda' - by folk singer/songwriter Eric Bogle a Scotish Expat and written about the disastrous landings at Gallipoli in WW1.
Been covered by loads of folks including the pogues.

2) Anything by Credence Clearwater Revival - My wife and I bought a car and spent six months driving around Oz - we had a somewhat limited supply of tapes - CCR was always at the top of the playlist though and every time I hear certain songs they remind me of those six months.

Best thread on here for ages beats all the moaning and whining!!!!

Bazza.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:49 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Fat of the Land album by the prodogy.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

If you phone the DIMIA this the the record playing when they put you on hold, I nearly PMSL when I heard it!!!!!!!!!
In the UK you get Greensleeves or something similar
jacqui

Last edited by purple rain; Nov 10th 2005 at 11:02 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:00 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Hmmm.. reconsider? ok

Rolf Harris "I'm Jake the peg".... diddle diddle dum with the extra leg diddle diidle dum
I'm showing my age now........................ and my class
You shoulda quit while you were ahead

land downunder by men at work definitely
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by s/nurse
If you phone the DIMIA this the the record playing when they put you on hold, I nearly PMSL when I heard it!!!!!!!!!
In thr UK you get Greensleeves or something similar
jacqui

would you like a piece of my sandwich
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

would you like a piece of my sandwich
Whats in it????
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BazzaMatthews
I've got two -

1)very apt choice for 11/11 as this is an ANZAC day favouirite - 'And the band played waltzing matilda' - by folk singer/songwriter Eric Bogle a Scotish Expat and written about the disastrous landings at Gallipoli in WW1.
Been covered by loads of folks including the pogues.

2) Anything by Credence Clearwater Revival - My wife and I bought a car and spent six months driving around Oz - we had a somewhat limited supply of tapes - CCR was always at the top of the playlist though and every time I hear certain songs they remind me of those six months.

Best thread on here for ages beats all the moaning and whining!!!! Bazza.

Great band and I bet the most remembered tunes were:

down on the corner, have you ever seen the rain, proud mary & hey tonight.

Lived in canada, and was a dj. very popular band for the time, great tunes. Thanks for some memories now !~
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Whats in it????

VEGEMITE!!!

And if anyone starts slagging off Rolf i shall cry. He was my childhood hero

"Do you know what is is yiiiiit?"
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:05 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Crowded House - '4 seasons in one day', they wrote it about Melbourne I believe.

and...

Apparently the song 'Take the weather with you' features the address 57 Mount Pleasant Street, and they used to invite people all round the world who lived at the address to their concerts??? I saw it on an interview with them.

just a piece of useless info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.