Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Something I Didn't Know!!!!!

Wikiposts

Something I Didn't Know!!!!!

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something I Didn't Know!!!!!

Originally Posted by dotnron
Does that mean that at north and south poles the water goes up?

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:12 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

oh no....I can't take any more!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
oh no....I can't take any more!
Got you thinking as much as it did me though.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

I just tried again and again and again. kept on changing mid flow !!! Think my sinks are bi-polar !!!! It's too early for this !!! Daughter is now late for school and water bill has gone up loads !!!!! Will someone ban me from looking at this site !!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:20 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Got you thinking as much as it did me though.
Yeah...can't wait to test it for myself when we get there!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Something I Didn't Know!!!!!

Why does water go down the plughole clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and anticlockwise here?

Sorry folks, it doesn't.

This one probably came from someone who understood the Coriolis effect better than they did household plumbing. The thing is that while the big C has a major effect on fast moving winds (as explained in fabulous detail and full living colour below), its effect on a bathroom-sized scale is pathetically small.

Things like the "spin" of the sink itself (from the way it's built), the direction of movement of the water just before you pull the plug out and the colour of your Grandad's undies are the real deciders on which way the water goes.
Source.

According to popular myth, in the Southern Hemisphere, all cyclones spin clockwise - and so does the water in toilet bowls, bath tubs and hand basins.

The story is correct about the cyclones. But the water going down a drain - well, half the time it's right, and half the time it's wrong.
Source.

I have lived in both hemispheres and witnessed water travelling in both directions in the UK and Australia.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Tinbeard is an unknown quantity at this point

No it just freezes
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:54 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Why does water go down the plughole clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and anticlockwise here?

Sorry folks, it doesn't.

This one probably came from someone who understood the Coriolis effect better than they did household plumbing. The thing is that while the big C has a major effect on fast moving winds (as explained in fabulous detail and full living colour below), its effect on a bathroom-sized scale is pathetically small.

Things like the "spin" of the sink itself (from the way it's built), the direction of movement of the water just before you pull the plug out and the colour of your Grandad's undies are the real deciders on which way the water goes.
Source.

According to popular myth, in the Southern Hemisphere, all cyclones spin clockwise - and so does the water in toilet bowls, bath tubs and hand basins.

The story is correct about the cyclones. But the water going down a drain - well, half the time it's right, and half the time it's wrong.
Source.

I have lived in both hemispheres and witnessed water travelling in both directions in the UK and Australia.
I saw an episode of 'Brainiac Science Abuse' where they phoned people in Oz and various other places to test the theory and as you say the results were inconclusive and did indeed quash the clockwise anti-clockwise myth.

ACE
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:57 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

This thread's too intellectual for me, am bailing oot
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:02 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Hi,

They tested this on "BRAINIAC" with John Tickle (from Big Brother) in a house in Sydney and the guy from "TOP GEAR" in a house in the UK. Appartently that water is supposidly affected by the Correalis Effect" which is supposed to cause the water in different hemispheres go done the plug hole in opposite directions.

However, when they tested it the water drained away in the same direction in both hemispheres.

They also did some tests in other capital cities which produced bizzare results.

Maybe it's just down to the type of fixtures and fittings you have!!

Hope this helped....
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:36 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

right u lot we got a water shortage here...stop wastin water u shower of saddo's lol
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Craigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really nice

No - it's frozen at the poles silly!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

It can't be a myth. It was on an episode of the Simpsons LOL.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just tried it here Depending on what side of the sink the tap was over determined which way the water went. Don't care personally, as long as it goes
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ACE
I saw an episode of 'Brainiac Science Abuse' where they phoned people in Oz and various other places to test the theory and as you say the results were inconclusive and did indeed quash the clockwise anti-clockwise myth.

ACE
I saw a similar TV show, where it was all tested, and again with varying resuts.

If we didn't have level 2 water restictions, i'd test all my sinks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.