Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Soldier hacked to death in London

Soldier hacked to death in London

Old May 27th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soldier hacked to death in London

Originally Posted by GarryP
Right response to the right understanding of the threat. If you get your understanding wrong, then you generally fail to address it properly - causing even more problems down the road.
Old May 27th 2013, 9:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
We have the recent history of Northern Ireland to remind us all how savage Christian sects can be. I was brought up in an Australian town that was bitterly divided between RCs and Proddies. (They didn't murder each other, though, quite!)
Really,what town was that ?
Old May 27th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can't help feeling that any one organised religion is as equally worthless as the next. But I dare say that the haters would find something else to justify their activities, even with no religions.

S
I think religions teach different things, and to your second point, agreed. We are quite capable of making problems with or without crutches methinks!
Old May 27th 2013, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Really,what town was that ?
The bitter religious divide (not to the point of warfare, mind!) was Toowoomba in the '50s. My Grandma (RC) looked shaken when she came to our place for Sunday dinner one day. A visiting bishop from Brisbane had stopped her on the way out of church and asked aggressively, "Is your son still living with that woman?" That woman, 20 years married*** and the mother of three children and Protestant, as were the children, was furious that a priest could be so cruel to her mother-in-law.
*** not in the eyes of the church, though.
Old May 27th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
The ones I know fit in very well. A lot were born in the same town I was. Should we repatriate them back to Grimsby?
I'm proudly British I like & accept them as do many millions of others. Should we repatriate the Irish they're all terrorists as well aren't they? Maybe just send the EDL to Germany in a time machine so they could be real Nazi's
Your living in cuckoo land. The majority of Christians, Muslims, Hindu's & Sikhs are more than happy to co-exist. A small minority see fit to stir up hatred.
This is right.

However, there are enough muslims to cause a signifcant danger to the rest of the peace-loving, harmonious population.

So, whilst most muslims are peace-loving, law-abiding citizens, there remains, however, a significant number who hate their host country, it's customs, it's traditions, it's values and it's people.

If you can be arsed, take a look at what is happening in other countries like France, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia .... in fact, just about every European country other than Portugal. There is a gradual takeover, part by stealth and part by coersion/bullying. And by sheer numbers.

As for the rest of the world, look at Africa to see the "religion of peace" in action. What the muslims did to ethnically cleanse the black Africans in the Sudan (Darfur), Boko Haram in Nigeria, constantly slaughtering Christians, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, it's too late to reverse. We will all be muslms in 20/30 years anyway, so we might as well do it now, rather than prolong the agony.
Old May 27th 2013, 4:04 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
This is right.

However, there are enough muslims to cause a signifcant danger to the rest of the peace-loving, harmonious population.

So, whilst most muslims are peace-loving, law-abiding citizens, there remains, however, a significant number who hate their host country, it's customs, it's traditions, it's values and it's people.

If you can be arsed, take a look at what is happening in other countries like France, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia .... in fact, just about every European country other than Portugal. There is a gradual takeover, part by stealth and part by coersion/bullying. And by sheer numbers.

As for the rest of the world, look at Africa to see the "religion of peace" in action. What the muslims did to ethnically cleanse the black Africans in the Sudan (Darfur), Boko Haram in Nigeria, constantly slaughtering Christians, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, it's too late to reverse. We will all be muslms in 20/30 years anyway, so we might as well do it now, rather than prolong the agony.
The problem is that 'their host country' as you call it is their country. As much as it was yours and mine. Many (well over 50%) are as British as you and me.

According to the last UK census there were 2.7m Muslims in the UK. Less than 5% of the population. 2001 showed there were 1.5m Muslims. How do you imagine that in 20/30 years the UK will be Muslim. How does that work in your ignorant mind.
Old May 27th 2013, 4:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The bitter religious divide (not to the point of warfare, mind!) was Toowoomba in the '50s. My Grandma (RC) looked shaken when she came to our place for Sunday dinner one day. A visiting bishop from Brisbane had stopped her on the way out of church and asked aggressively, "Is your son still living with that woman?" That woman, 20 years married*** and the mother of three children and Protestant, as were the children, was furious that a priest could be so cruel to her mother-in-law.
*** not in the eyes of the church, though.
Never quite saw Toowoomba as the Derry of Australia but I guess anything's possible
Old May 27th 2013, 4:52 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Never quite saw Toowoomba as the Derry of Australia but I guess anything's possible
Ha! Having lived very close to both, I'd choose Toowoomba over Londonderry any day!
Old May 27th 2013, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
The problem is that 'their host country' as you call it is their country. As much as it was yours and mine. Many (well over 50%) are as British as you and me.

According to the last UK census there were 2.7m Muslims in the UK. Less than 5% of the population. 2001 showed there were 1.5m Muslims. How do you imagine that in 20/30 years the UK will be Muslim. How does that work in your ignorant mind.
By birth maybe, but in spirit? Maybe not?
Old May 27th 2013, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Continue at that rate of increase and there would be close to 20 million Muslims in the UK in 30 years. Who knows what changes that would bring to the UK.
Old May 28th 2013, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
By birth maybe, but in spirit? Maybe not?
Plenty of Muslims on my London board, proud to call themselves British...and thats 100 pct fact... they go out of their way to reiterate it time and time again.... They hate the fanatics.. Plus the ones I come into contact here in my local very muslim area seem to be happy to be Australian.... I dont go around asking those ones though.
Old May 28th 2013, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Plenty of Muslims on my London board, proud to call themselves British...and thats 100 pct fact... they go out of their way to reiterate it time and time again.... They hate the fanatics.. Plus the ones I come into contact here in my local very muslim area seem to be happy to be Australian.... I dont go around asking those ones though.
A journalist has on gone on record to complain that why should moderate Muslims have to apologise for the radical members, or even appeal for calm. She claims there is clear seperation. Christian extremists are fairly rare, really.

The problem is that people eye Islam with a degree of suspicion and have difficulty wondering how close the extreme side of it is to moderate Islam.
And it does seem that Islam does create it's fair share of lunatics. The Koran or the Bible does not make much sense - after all the Bible talks about 'An Eye for an eye' et cetera but we don't see Christians issuing fatwas.

I feel sorry for muslims in other countries - for one thing they are third world, their people's are subjugated in ways we are not in the West, their religion is tied to culture in a way it is not in the West, their quality of life and expectaion of life is less - and they take religion much more seriously. As I've said before though, in some ways this forms the resentment - they see the decadent West as aborrent - and what really damns is when 'Christian' soldiers from the West are sent to help out and meddle in their affairs. This is the No 1 reason for resentment - don't forget it!
Old May 28th 2013, 3:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A journalist has on gone on record to complain that why should moderate Muslims have to apologise for the radical members, or even appeal for calm. She claims there is clear seperation. Christian extremists are fairly rare, really.

The problem is that people eye Islam with a degree of suspicion and have difficulty wondering how close the extreme side of it is to moderate Islam.
And it does seem that Islam does create it's fair share of lunatics. The Koran or the Bible does not make much sense - after all the Bible talks about 'An Eye for an eye' et cetera but we don't see Christians issuing fatwas.

I feel sorry for muslims in other countries - for one thing they are third world, their people's are subjugated in ways we are not in the West, their religion is tied to culture in a way it is not in the West, their quality of life and expectaion of life is less - and they take religion much more seriously. As I've said before though, in some ways this forms the resentment - they see the decadent West as aborrent - and what really damns is when 'Christian' soldiers from the West are sent to help out and meddle in their affairs. This is the No 1 reason for resentment - don't forget it!

This is the key problem here - The christian religions had the reformation which eventually (among other things) freed people from having to take the scriptures as gospel, and allowed them to understand that they were allegory.

The islamic faith has had no such thing, so belief remains fervent and very much literally based.

S
Old May 28th 2013, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you calling me ignorant ?
Old May 28th 2013, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This is the key problem here - The christian religions had the reformation which eventually (among other things) freed people from having to take the scriptures as gospel, and allowed them to understand that they were allegory.

The islamic faith has had no such thing, so belief remains fervent and very much literally based.

S
There is a very important distinction between the scripture of the bible and the scripture of the Koran and people just don't get it.

Essentially the bible is a collection of stories written by different authors put together in two volumes. The Old Testament is obviously a story book although there are still stupid people that believe it says the earth was created at 9.30am in 2002BC together with the dinosaurs. The New testament is the story of Christs life as told by the disciples.

The koran is completely different as it is the actual word of God (allah) as written down by mohammed exactly as it was recited to him. It is basically a blueprint for how to live your life.

You cannot compare the two. It's like comparing apples with oranges. This is important when people say it is just the way it is interpreted because the koran is very very clear and there is little interpretation possible.

So when people say that the bible is just as bad because it talks of things like an eye for an eye, that is from the Old testament, which is a story book. The new testament in Matthew says turn the other cheek.

I don't think it talks about an eye for an eye in the koran, but if it did it is the word of god and therefore is not open to interpretation.

No doubt I have offended someone with this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.