Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So why is Oz not what you expected?

So why is Oz not what you expected?

Old May 23rd 2008, 2:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So why is Oz not what you expected?

Originally Posted by lele.juggins
Just noticed - it does go up but changes the total on all previous posts - what if I wanted to read post no. 14 - could never find it - how weird.
That's what I just said

You could check your profile.
"All posts made" and count them individually.
Bit hard when it's 18000 though
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes. Worked it out now - just seems a bit strange. Why does the software go back and change the count on for example - all your 18062 posts - seems like something it doesn't need to do and must use up a few bytes for no reason.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you check your profile, sorry new to this, allways had to scroll through pages to get to my posts. Thought there must be a way to do it - but cannot see it.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:10 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

How do you check your profile, sorry new to this, allways had to scroll through pages to get to my posts. Thought there must be a way to do it - but cannot see it.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=72115
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:51 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Lele look at the top of the page, see the little words if you click on them it acesses them a good one to try first is the FAQ you will also see my profile is there as well and you click on that
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:01 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch
Anyone with a PC, a basic music program and an idea can release a record.
I have all those things. Will you be my agent?
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:34 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

I would say think about the following-this is all based on other BE posts I have read about what people seem to find lacking in Oz & some of my own feelings:

1. Don't come expecting your financial worries to be over. It is no longer a place where you can live cheaply in a huge house. The houses have gone up in price & the salaries in some (tho' not all) lines of work are significantly less than in UK so whilst your mortgage might be less so will your wage.

2. It may be English speaking but it is nothing like UK. Everything is different. There is only 250 years worth of history-so if you like visiting museums, cathedrals, castles, charming old pubs etc forget it. Don't expect Boots, WH Smiths, local high streets with shops you know-here there are either strip-type shops or huge malls. Supermarkets have a much poorer choice of goods & were last refurbished when Toyah was number 1. The papers are much thinner in content & you wont have heard of anyone in the gossip mags. TV is poor-the only good shows are those pilfered from the Beeb. Birds do not tweet they squawk. There are no conkers or piles of autumn leaves to run through.

3. Clothes, shoes etc are more costly here mainly because there are few "bargain" type shops like Primark or TK Maxx to get basics from (there is Target but it's not as good or cheap). Cheaper clothes are all made in China and of poorish quality. Any shoes under $140 are manmade not leather. There is no online catalogue shopping wither (i.e. like Littlewoods). In fact there is little online shopping period.

4. We have crime in here! Although Aus is painted as paradise, just like in the UK there are plenty of bad, sad & mad things going on.

5. Christmas is in Summer! There will be no cosying up by the fire knocking back Baileys or caroling on a frosty eve. You may be too hot to cook a roast & the chocs will have melted. You wont notice the fairy lights sparkling as it wont be dark enough.

Basically don't expect Oz to be anything like the UK or to give you a much easier life and you will be okay! You will need to come here with an open mind and accept & embrace its differences.

Last edited by JoolsB; May 23rd 2008 at 11:38 pm.
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

What a shame people come here thinking that OZ will be like the UK would we do the same with any other country? I sit here reading some of the posts on why people return and just feel sometimes they havent embraced the Aussie culture at all. Makes me feel like we are in the "British empire" time again trying to make all things British This is Australia not the UK. I have lived in a few different countries and in some, unless you embraced there culture you would never get on. I found Australia one of the easier places to be. I guess its all down to experience and what you want out of life, and as my saying goes if you dont like something change it, you only get one shot at life
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Birds do not tweet they squawk. There are no conkers or piles of autumn leaves to run through.

Any shoes under $140 are manmade not leather.
Hi Jools

I think a lot also depends on where you end up...

Come up to the Dandenongs and there are plenty of autumn leaves to run through and acorns rather than conkers. Also plenty of tweeting birds (yes, there are squawking ones too!!).

Try Bridge Road, Richmond for discounted leather shoes (I got a nice pair for $65) also the DFO outlets are a good place to try.

Our supermarkets/delis etc are fab and on par with those in Bristol IMO.

Rachel
Old May 24th 2008, 12:04 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Also plenty of tweeting birds (yes, there are squawking ones too!!).

Rachel
These parrots where in my garden last week
Attached Thumbnails So why is Oz not what you expected?-australia-2008-053.jpg  
Old May 24th 2008, 12:09 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said that man! Still think there too many traffic lights - hope that doesn't make me a whinging pom!
I live about 50k from Melbourne CBD and when I drive into town the 1st set of lights I go through is about 50k away.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 24th 2008 at 12:11 am.
Old May 24th 2008, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

jingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant futurejingles has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by angelaos
Hi

We have been contemplating moving over to Oz for the past two years but have never made the plans firm. So many people want to flock there from the UK but why are so many of you saying you want to come back? What so wrong with Oz?
I have been here since 1951, and Yes! for the first two years we thought of nothing more than being able to go back to the UK when that time was up. It was only when we could go back that we realised we didn't want to go.

Don't come out with preconceived ideas - Australia is 'biiiiiiiig' bigger than you have ever imagined, it is also a more harsh country than the green hills of home, and the people are different.
For a long time they had to listen to "In England we do it like this" hence the term 'whinging pom'.
If you want to have an adventure and discover a new and exciting lifestyle, come out by all means.....however, if you are hoping to bring England with you - don't come.
jingles
Old May 24th 2008, 12:16 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reedy
And the chocolate is rank - but hey we all need to have something to moan about
I was talking to a man from Cadbury a few weeks ago and apparently it's the other way around. I was asking him whether they ever had the Wispa down here and he said they imported some but it never sold. He said UK Cadbury's chocolate is made with sour milk which doesn't suite the Aussies' taste buds.
Old May 24th 2008, 12:17 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Hi Jools

I think a lot also depends on where you end up...

Come up to the Dandenongs and there are plenty of autumn leaves to run through and acorns rather than conkers. Also plenty of tweeting birds (yes, there are squawking ones too!!).

Try Bridge Road, Richmond for discounted leather shoes (I got a nice pair for $65) also the DFO outlets are a good place to try.

Our supermarkets/delis etc are fab and on par with those in Bristol IMO.

Rachel
Hi Rachel

Ta for shoes tip! You are right it does depend where you end up ie. no autum leaves in Queensland I gather. These are all just things I have noticed various people from various parts (not just me!) missing.

Jools
Old May 24th 2008, 12:20 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by linloo
What a shame people come here thinking that OZ will be like the UK would we do the same with any other country? I sit here reading some of the posts on why people return and just feel sometimes they havent embraced the Aussie culture at all. Makes me feel like we are in the "British empire" time again trying to make all things British This is Australia not the UK. I have lived in a few different countries and in some, unless you embraced there culture you would never get on. I found Australia one of the easier places to be. I guess its all down to experience and what you want out of life, and as my saying goes if you dont like something change it, you only get one shot at life
I think people may think it will be more like UK than they would with other countries due to the fact it's English speaking..

Also, I found Sydney felt more like the UK than Melbourne (however all my family are there, I was born & spent first 4 yrs of my life there, have been back numerous times and got married there so I may be biased as I am more used to it as a place).

Maybe I just expected Melbourne to be more like Sydney..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.