Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So who's on the NBN?

View Poll Results: Which tech do you have ?
FTTP - Fibre baby, the good stuff
28.00%
HFC - it's fibre, but ...
4.00%
FTTN - the Trunbull special
8.00%
FTTC - better than FTTN
4.00%
Mobile Broadband - feel the money burn
8.00%
ADSL, still
48.00%
I'm a luddite.
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

So who's on the NBN?

Old May 21st 2018, 12:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who's on the NBN?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
No, but I'll use a tablet and and chromecast for the missing services

More portable as well.
I'm a one-box solution guy - hence the HTPCs. I do have an Nvidia Shield on another TV though (and that is an awesome device)

I find casting to be a bit hit and miss at times

The only problem I see with what you are getting is Optus itself - they are a joke internet provider. Saying that, if the EPL is your thing then there is no viable alternative
Old May 31st 2018, 10:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I saw on Ozbargain that Aussie Broadband are offering (until midnight) the first month free for NBN. So I signed up for unlimited 100/40 for $104/month including VOIP. Definitely a bit better than Mungi and I just ran a test in peak time and got this:

I'm happy with that - I was getting 15/2 a few months ago on ADSL!

This one's a keeper
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

We are out in the sticks in Sugarloaf, Qld. Don't have enough phone signal for mobile broadband so we are stuck with NBN Satellite. Hellishly expensive, 150 GB of bandwidth per month. In addition to all of this we are off the grid with a small solar and battery installation and the Satellite dish uses so much power we have to turn it off when we're not using it. Other than that it's great...

We are considering installing a big antenna and a wireless signal booster so that we can 'upgrade' to wireless broadband which is much cheaper, faster and has unlimited gigglebites.

Last edited by SoCalDon; Jun 3rd 2018 at 3:45 am. Reason: cock up
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:14 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
We are out in the sticks in Sugarloaf, Qld. Don't have enough phone signal for mobile broadband so we are stuck with NBN Satellite. Hellishly expensive, 150 GB of bandwidth per month. In addition to all of this we are off the grid with a small solar and battery installation and the Satellite dish uses so much power we have to turn it off when we're not using it. Other than that it's great...

We are considering installing a big antenna and a wireless signal booster so that we can 'upgrade' to wireless broadband which is much cheaper, faster and has unlimited gigglebites.
Will they allow you to do that? We were out of range of the tower by just 500m but it might as well have been 500km Telstra/bigpond flat refused any kind of signal booster. We had to wait 19 months for the closer tower to be completed.
What we have now is awesome by comparison but it does get congested, they expected a 23% uptake on the service & it's currently 70+% so has slowed considerably since we were first connected.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoCalDon

Where you are looks that one way or the other you are looking at getting an antenna in a place where either you could pick up 4G signal, or wireless NBN. Might be worth doing a little research to see if there is anywhere on your property that has a hope of line of sight.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/sit...ing-4g-antenna
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:55 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I saw on Ozbargain that Aussie Broadband are offering (until midnight) the first month free for NBN. So I signed up for unlimited 100/40 for $104/month including VOIP. Definitely a bit better than Mungi and I just ran a test in peak time and got this:

I'm happy with that - I was getting 15/2 a few months ago on ADSL!

This one's a keeper
My speed on NBN wireless has dropped quite a bit now that the tower is at 70% capacity

When we first connected we got this:

Last edited by cresta57; Jun 6th 2018 at 12:01 pm. Reason: added photo
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by cresta57
My speed on NBN wireless has dropped quite a bit now that the tower is at 70% capacity

When we first connected we got this:

That's a big drop but probably better than you could get on Sky Muster. A basic drawback of wireless is that it doesn't have the scalability of fibre
This mob Best Broadband Provider for Wireless Internet – Red Broadband is WA only but I'm sure there is a similar setup over there. I've heard good things about this kind of service
What do you pay for that? We are fortunate in that the node is literally outside our front gate and speedtest is indicating speeds in excess of 100Mb at times. My neighbours are about 300-400m from the node are getting 45Mb on a 50Mb plan
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:22 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Worth noting that those speedtests are going to different servers - one referencing Gold Coast, and one Sydney. That can make a big difference to the speed measured.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Worth noting that those speedtests are going to different servers - one referencing Gold Coast, and one Sydney. That can make a big difference to the speed measured.
Exactly and the different websites that one visits and the traffic there makes a big impact.

I personally am very happy with my regular circa 38MBs speed I get with Optus. I dont think the other 6 extra I would apparently get with Aussie Broadband is a factor in anyway shape or form, especially compared to the extras I'm getting. The only real difference I'm actually noticing with my NBN is the upload speeds, now thats a revelation. Especially when posting photos and other files to forums and facebook etc.

We regularly have 3 different video streams happening in our household and there hasn't been a glitch thus far.

I'm happy..... BTW Optus are now doing 3 months of Stan Free as a gift as well as their other perks.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy..... BTW Optus are now doing 3 months of Stan Free as a gift as well as their other perks.
About $30 worth. I run Stan. It's pretty good IMHO. I would run Netflix too if I had the time to watch it all.

Did you get the sports thing with the Optus, including every world cup game? I have Optus mobile on a business plan and they have screwed me on that, non business customers only. Bastards.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
About $30 worth. I run Stan. It's pretty good IMHO. I would run Netflix too if I had the time to watch it all.

Did you get the sports thing with the Optus, including every world cup game? I have Optus mobile on a business plan and they have screwed me on that, non business customers only. Bastards.
Yes included, blimey though, because the sport is only 15 bucks a month and you'd think it would be worth that in goodwill.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 11:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz

All world cup games available for free (well, after you've paid $2 a month for a DNS redirect) on BBC iplayer and ITV Hub. BBC also broadcasting some games in 4K
Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
All world cup games available for free (well, after you've paid $2 a month for a DNS redirect) on BBC iplayer and ITV Hub. BBC also broadcasting some games in 4K
<br /><br />I'd be interested to know who's commentary they use for the Australian games. Whether it's the same as the Optus feed or a different one.<br /><br />I've not seen an Australian game via Optus yet..... hopefully they have a foxtel like Aus based commentary team...... Owise I may switch to free to air for pre and post match commentary and analysis. Hmm although the first game I'll be watching with about 1500 others at the Imperial hotel here in Melbourne..... Saturday 16th June v France at 8PM Melbourne time. Lock it in Fingers crossed that match winning capable Robbie Kruse comes out of his 6 year ability coma, he is finally fully fit.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday 16th June v France at 8PM Melbourne time. Lock it in
Its locked in, along side Wallabies v Ireland 8pm KO and England v Australia ODI - also a 8pm kick off.

8pm is TV time.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 5:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

<br /><br />I'd be interested to know who's commentary they use for the Australian games. Whether it's the same as the Optus feed or a different one.<br /><br />I've not seen an Australian game via Optus yet..... hopefully they have a foxtel like Aus based commentary team...... Owise I may switch to free to air for pre and post match commentary and analysis. Hmm although the first game I'll be watching with about 1500 others at the Imperial hotel here in Melbourne..... Saturday 16th June v France at 8PM Melbourne time. Lock it in Fingers crossed that match winning capable Robbie Kruse comes out of his 6 year ability coma, he is finally fully fit.
I would imagine that the BBC and ITV will have there own pre and post match team and probably use other match broadcasters for non-England games - at least in the group stage anyway

16th June will be great day