Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So who's on the NBN?

View Poll Results: Which tech do you have ?
FTTP - Fibre baby, the good stuff
28.00%
HFC - it's fibre, but ...
4.00%
FTTN - the Trunbull special
8.00%
FTTC - better than FTTN
4.00%
Mobile Broadband - feel the money burn
8.00%
ADSL, still
48.00%
I'm a luddite.
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

So who's on the NBN?

Old May 10th 2018, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who's on the NBN?

Originally Posted by GarryP
I wouldn't give a second thought to leaving iiNet, and if Optus give you what you want then all the better. Assuming you are also on FTTC you should be able to work out what speed you are likely to get from what your neighbour achieves. Your $80 should get you 50/20, although as you know, Optus are lagging the practical speeds of the others. The football will only be 720p IIRC.

One thing to bear in mind, phone points will be disconnected and you really want the best, smoothest, most unadulterated copper to your house and to your modem to get the best speeds. In theory you can then connect the wiring from the phone ports to the modem to get those ports working again, but I see little info about people actually doing it. I guess landlines are old tech and most accept only one phone in the house.
Landline? What is that? I haven't had a landline since 2003.
Old May 10th 2018, 1:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Landline? What is that? I haven't had a landline since 2003.
For $5 a month, it makes sense for me to keep the number active etc. That was particular true when I was on the Optus network and reception was dodgy. One day I'll get around to getting the PBX working and get all the VoIP connections all routed (including to the mobile).
Old May 10th 2018, 1:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We have to have a landline. Our mobile reception is fairly shite in the house. My voicemail tells people to call the landline. As soon as we get to the end of the road our mobiles go haywire with texts and missed call alerts. Unfortunately 'Telstra Tech Support' ring the landline a lot but we have a whistle blutacked to the phone now.
Old May 10th 2018, 1:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We have to have a landline. Our mobile reception is fairly shite in the house. My voicemail tells people to call the landline. As soon as we get to the end of the road our mobiles go haywire with texts and missed call alerts. Unfortunately 'Telstra Tech Support' ring the landline a lot but we have a whistle blutacked to the phone now.
There are attempts at "Wifi Calling" to route mobile calls via home wifi - but typical of aussie carriers, they haven't done a good job of it. Can potentially help though if you don't get signal in the house (foil in the roof kills signal strength for me).

Part of keeping the landline is if I get things working properly I should be able to so a similar trick for the landline number - just receiving and making calls on the mobile via the PBX from any route.
Old May 10th 2018, 1:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There are attempts at "Wifi Calling" to route mobile calls via home wifi - but typical of aussie carriers, they haven't done a good job of it. Can potentially help though if you don't get signal in the house (foil in the roof kills signal strength for me).

Part of keeping the landline is if I get things working properly I should be able to so a similar trick for the landline number - just receiving and making calls on the mobile via the PBX from any route.
We also have to keep communication channels open for the Mil in the UK, she got rid of their computer when her husband died four years ago and she's not going to call a mobile and my technophobe husband just has to look at a computer or mobile for it to go tits up.
Old May 10th 2018, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We also have to keep communication channels open for the Mil in the UK, she got rid of their computer when her husband died four years ago and she's not going to call a mobile and my technophobe husband just has to look at a computer or mobile for it to go tits up.

Gave up my landline with this new connection as well, as I've not had a phone connected to my modem in at least 2 years. If your MiL is on a mobile plan in the UK she should be able to call an Aus mobile for the same price as calling a Aus Landline. It works the otherway from Aus like that for most plans thesedays. I'd assume it would be like for like?

Whoops you've got crap mobile connection..... scrub the above....

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 10th 2018 at 3:04 am.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't give a second thought to leaving iiNet, and if Optus give you what you want then all the better. Assuming you are also on FTTC you should be able to work out what speed you are likely to get from what your neighbour achieves. Your $80 should get you 50/20, although as you know, Optus are lagging the practical speeds of the others. The football will only be 720p IIRC.

One thing to bear in mind, phone points will be disconnected and you really want the best, smoothest, most unadulterated copper to your house and to your modem to get the best speeds. In theory you can then connect the wiring from the phone ports to the modem to get those ports working again, but I see little info about people actually doing it. I guess landlines are old tech and most accept only one phone in the house.

The Telstra connection I did for a neighbour went into the old phone point. I did have to plug the phone into the modem, same way as the ADSL. One thing I didn't realise with FTTC is you can have active ADSL and FTTC at the same time, through the same phone connection.... at least thats what I've been led to believe. I may give that a burl, just for curiosities sake, before I cut of IInet connection.
One hassle I had overlooked, which was silly, was my 15 or so must have Email contacts which all use my IInet account..... banks/utilities/netflix/racv/citilink etc etc. I can pay IInet 25 bucks a year to keep my address or go through the hassle of getting a new address for all my financial contacts.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The Telstra connection I did for a neighbour went into the old phone point. I did have to plug the phone into the modem, same way as the ADSL. One thing I didn't realise with FTTC is you can have active ADSL and FTTC at the same time, through the same phone connection.... at least thats what I've been led to believe. I may give that a burl, just for curiosities sake, before I cut of IInet connection.
For 15 months max, till they kill off the ADSL part of the frequency spectrum and increase the FTTC signal. Not really a good move. And the problem is often the splits off to the other phone points have been fixed to the entry point copper inside the panel or wall. That just causes interference and reflections when you are trying to get decent FTTC speeds from them. We are talking potentially halving the speed.

One hassle I had overlooked, which was silly, was my 15 or so must have Email contacts which all use my IInet account..... banks/utilities/netflix/racv/citilink etc etc. I can pay IInet 25 bucks a year to keep my address or go through the hassle of getting a new address for all my financial contacts.
I've not used the carrier provided email addresses for decades, for just that reason. Shift them over to a new account now.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Gave up my landline with this new connection as well, as I've not had a phone connected to my modem in at least 2 years. If your MiL is on a mobile plan in the UK she should be able to call an Aus mobile for the same price as calling a Aus Landline. It works the otherway from Aus like that for most plans thesedays. I'd assume it would be like for like?

Whoops you've got crap mobile connection..... scrub the above....
She threw out her never used mobile at the same time. In fact I think they may have thrown it out one time we were driving to a funeral and they said to call them if we got lost. We got lost, called them to find they'd turned it off. Finally got to the funeral, asked them why they'd turned it off to be told 'oh we don't like to waste the battery so always turn it off after we've used it'. Ok then.
Old May 12th 2018, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

She threw out her never used mobile at the same time. In fact I think they may have thrown it out one time we were driving to a funeral and they said to call them if we got lost. We got lost, called them to find they'd turned it off. Finally got to the funeral, asked them why they'd turned it off to be told 'oh we don't like to waste the battery so always turn it off after we've used it'. Ok then.
Old May 21st 2018, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm up and running with Optus on FTTC now. It was an easy install, however they did stuff up the hardware delivery. I only received one part of the connection package, the NBN gizmo that activates the FTTC part of the connection and no Optus modem at first. A tip with Optus is do not bother phoning them. Use Webchat and you will be fine, they respond really fast and take action very quickly if you take that route. To cut a long story short I've connected easily, I do now have two modems though. It also took me quite a while to connect to Optus sport as my Fetch TV connection kept asking to agree to a 15 dollar subscription fee, whilst I waited for them to activiate the service on my Fetch box. Apparently you have to accept the 15 dollar subscription fee and then they refund you automatically on their billing. I've confirmed that on Webchat and will wait and see.

I also did a speedtest as the first thing when I connected. It was around 35mbs. I complained and consquently ended up with a 30 dollar credit to my account. The speed is now running at circa 42mbs.... slightly faster on my Wifi than my Lan connections which is odd in my book....must be a reason for that. I've looked at the advanced settings on the modem and decided to leave well alone LOL. There where settings on the IInet modem that you could tweak easily and they guided you through and gave you information that you could loose packets if you tweaked it at certain levels. Nothing like that on the Optus modem though.

So far so good. I'm very happy with their webchat service, which is as good as IInets phone service.... better really as I've scored 30 dollars back of my first bill, on a speed issue that I only noticed via the speed test rather than any thing I could see on my home connections.

As for the Fetch TV box, I personally recommend It. I think I will get two and ditch my HTPC and plug my harddrives into the boxes. Whilst downloading anything I need via my laptop.

Next step will be this.... will be waiting for my retirement though. Right up the top of my wish list this following gadget. I think everyone will be watching TV on one of these in 10 years time, albeit maybe a different brand.

Old May 21st 2018, 6:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up and running with Optus on FTTC now. It was an easy install, however they did stuff up the hardware delivery. I only received one part of the connection package, the NBN gizmo that activates the FTTC part of the connection and no Optus modem at first. A tip with Optus is do not bother phoning them. Use Webchat and you will be fine, they respond really fast and take action very quickly if you take that route. To cut a long story short I've connected easily, I do now have two modems though. It also took me quite a while to connect to Optus sport as my Fetch TV connection kept asking to agree to a 15 dollar subscription fee, whilst I waited for them to activiate the service on my Fetch box. Apparently you have to accept the 15 dollar subscription fee and then they refund you automatically on their billing. I've confirmed that on Webchat and will wait and see.

I also did a speedtest as the first thing when I connected. It was around 35mbs. I complained and consquently ended up with a 30 dollar credit to my account. The speed is now running at circa 42mbs.... slightly faster on my Wifi than my Lan connections which is odd in my book....must be a reason for that. I've looked at the advanced settings on the modem and decided to leave well alone LOL. There where settings on the IInet modem that you could tweak easily and they guided you through and gave you information that you could loose packets if you tweaked it at certain levels. Nothing like that on the Optus modem though.

So far so good. I'm very happy with their webchat service, which is as good as IInets phone service.... better really as I've scored 30 dollars back of my first bill, on a speed issue that I only noticed via the speed test rather than any thing I could see on my home connections.

As for the Fetch TV box, I personally recommend It. I think I will get two and ditch my HTPC and plug my harddrives into the boxes. Whilst downloading anything I need via my laptop.

Next step will be this.... will be waiting for my retirement though. Right up the top of my wish list this following gadget. I think everyone will be watching TV on one of these in 10 years time, albeit maybe a different brand.

Short throw projector.
Sounds good

Can you get BBC iplayer on the Fetch box? Kodi?

This device does look good but iplayer and Kodi would be a deal breaker for me. The beauty of a HTPC (windows or Linux) is the ability to stream pretty much everything using a browser

Last edited by Amazulu; May 21st 2018 at 6:24 am.
Old May 21st 2018, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, but I'll use a tablet and and chromecast for the missing services

More portable as well.
Old May 21st 2018, 8:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Apparently you have to accept the 15 dollar subscription fee and then they refund you automatically on their billing. I've confirmed that on Webchat and will wait and see.
Personally I'd never trust Optus to not continue billing that $15.

I also did a speedtest as the first thing when I connected. It was around 35mbs. I complained and consquently ended up with a 30 dollar credit to my account. The speed is now running at circa 42mbs.... slightly faster on my Wifi than my Lan connections which is odd in my book....must be a reason for that.
It's Optus, and thus not reliable. Also the time to do a test is around now, in the evening peak, that's when it matters. Also try fast.com - which it based on Netflix and more trustable.

Personally I have a projector and it's good for movies, though you do need decent resolution content. Not sure I'd pay AU$2800 for that one, lots of cheaper options for 1080p (under $1000) including this one that went out of stock PDQ.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/378750

Personal I've my eye on

for when my bulb dies ($1500).
Old May 21st 2018, 12:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd never trust Optus to not continue billing that $15.

It's Optus, and thus not reliable. Also the time to do a test is around now, in the evening peak, that's when it matters. Also try fast.com - which it based on Netflix and more trustable.

Personally I have a projector and it's good for movies, though you do need decent resolution content. Not sure I'd pay AU$2800 for that one, lots of cheaper options for 1080p (under $1000) including this one that went out of stock PDQ.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/378750

Personal I've my eye on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmshFsyE6E0

for when my bulb dies ($1500).
Fast.com is pathetically rubbish. I just ran the test and it tells me that I'm getting 3.2 when every other test tool records 80-90+ - and my line synch speed is 107+

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.