Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So who's on the NBN?

View Poll Results: Which tech do you have ?
FTTP - Fibre baby, the good stuff
28.00%
HFC - it's fibre, but ...
4.00%
FTTN - the Trunbull special
8.00%
FTTC - better than FTTN
4.00%
Mobile Broadband - feel the money burn
8.00%
ADSL, still
48.00%
I'm a luddite.
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

So who's on the NBN?

Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who's on the NBN?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Thought this might be interesting, the rollout of the NBN to date

https://i.imgur.com/Jv4eAmV.gif

The top two lines are the areas supposed to be 'done' and the actual number of houses connected (the gap is those like Wol, a quarter of a million of them). The yellow line is those actually signed up. The boundaries are total premises and 2020, when its supposed to be done.

Most of the premises up to mid 2016 are FTTP or wireless/satellite. The inclusion of HFC and FTTN past then has bumped up the numbers, but still on the same curve as it was already on.

A very large number of people can get NBN in theory, but aren't signed up in practice. Either the RTC numbers are wrong, or people aren't bothered, or both - but since they are turning off normal phone services after 18months, they will all need to be.
Looking at that, we must have been in thee first million to be connected since we've had NBN since end 2015 / early 2016. Can't remember exactly when they did the internal connection but the fibre to the house was definitely late 2015 - November.

Alfresco - we had to reset out box a few times in the first few months, but I cannot remember the last time we had to reset it so hopefully your situation will improve.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this might be interesting, the rollout of the NBN to date

https://i.imgur.com/Jv4eAmV.gif

The top two lines are the areas supposed to be 'done' and the actual number of houses connected (the gap is those like Wol, a quarter of a million of them). The yellow line is those actually signed up. The boundaries are total premises and 2020, when its supposed to be done.

Most of the premises up to mid 2016 are FTTP or wireless/satellite. The inclusion of HFC and FTTN past then has bumped up the numbers, but still on the same curve as it was already on.

A very large number of people can get NBN in theory, but aren't signed up in practice. Either the RTC numbers are wrong, or people aren't bothered, or both - but since they are turning off normal phone services after 18months, they will all need to be.
And as the man says, when people start bothering, we will start fibre to homes. Simple economic management
Old Sep 27th 2017, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We're the first 'burb in Aus AFAIK to get FTTC, Coburg, connections available in March, I've got a pit right out the front of my place, so I should get full 100 Mbs, I'll be connecting with IInet and probably go the high speed, so I can fully supply 3 even 4 lots of video streaming at once if all the kids get on it at once.

The furthest Pit I've seen in this street is about 50 meters from a house, So I'd say everyone will get close to their full speed in this location at least. Not seen any issues with IInet speeds.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 10:02 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We're the first 'burb in Aus AFAIK to get FTTC, Coburg, connections available in March, I've got a pit right out the front of my place, so I should get full 100 Mbs, I'll be connecting with IInet and probably go the high speed, so I can fully supply 3 even 4 lots of video streaming at once if all the kids get on it at once.

The furthest Pit I've seen in this street is about 50 meters from a house, So I'd say everyone will get close to their full speed in this location at least. Not seen any issues with IInet speeds.
Worth avoiding iiNet. After their merger with TPG the customer service went to hell and the speed dropped into the toilet too. On ADSL you won't notice it as much, but particularly in the evening, you won't get much NBN speed as the service is congested.

Interesting thing is a lot of places are getting FTTC lines put in now, but they all seem to be mid 2018 before they go live. It looks like they don't have the control and monitoring software for these units sorted yet - which kind of demonstrates how much they are flying by the seat of their pants. Seems like they don't have a working system design tested before physically installing the lines. If it doesn't go smoothly, its another micronode cockup.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We had about 10 years of iinet being really impressive. Last year they went to shit and we left them and went with iPrimus.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:40 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We had about 10 years of iinet being really impressive. Last year they went to shit and we left them and went with iPrimus.
Yeah, everything TPG has touched/acquired has turned to turd.

It's basically their business model.

That includes :
Adam Internet
AAPT Limited
Agile Communications
Chime Communications
iiNet
Internode
Netspace
PIPE Networks
TransACT
Westnet
As far as NBN goes, it's a different game to ADSL. The structure, the NBN's CVC, the higher speeds you expect to see means that the players as ISPs aren't the same as the RSPs (the NBN term). It's very sensible to NOT just move across with the same provider - no matter how much they'll want to push you to do that. Telstra have gone so far as sending out unsolicited modems to people so they can switch them over without people really realising it.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

FTTP with Internode.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Hmm I've got Fetch TV though, which means I may have to test the waters first and give it some thought re purchasing the boxes rather than hiring them.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, everything TPG has touched/acquired has turned to turd.
I have TPG. Have done for a long time because they are cheap. Haven't had any issues. I moved recently so I did the usual check around for a better, no takers, so stuck with them. The reconnection was no hassle.

Maybe I am missing out by not being with someone else.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
FTTP with Internode.

If I have it right so far, the three of us with FTTP are in QLD, SA and TAS
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They are testing the line out on the street right now as I type. Unusual crew though, 3 lots of vans up and down our short street over the pits.... Exeltek or something and 100 pct Chinese crew... Not seen that before as road pit workers.

I just ticked FTTC as it's almost here, but I am still on ADSL. The fellow that could speak English told me before Xmas.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 28th 2017 at 5:43 am.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have TPG. Have done for a long time because they are cheap. Haven't had any issues. I moved recently so I did the usual check around for a better, no takers, so stuck with them. The reconnection was no hassle.

Maybe I am missing out by not being with someone else.
The current best bet, by universal acclaim, is Aussie Broadband (who I'm with). They put on enough bandwidth that you don't get things slowing down in the evening, and actually have customer support manned by people who know what they are talking about.

100/40 and 500GB is $80, whereas TPG is $90.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:45 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

If I have it right so far, the three of us with FTTP are in QLD, SA and TAS
One of those with FTTP is me, and I'm in VIC.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They are testing the line out on the street right now as I type. Unusual crew though, 3 lots of vans up and down our short street over the pits.... Exeltek or something and 100 pct Chinese crew... Not seen that before as road pit workers.

I just ticked FTTC as it's almost here, but I am still on ADSL. The fellow that could speak English told me before Xmas.
NBN says no FTTC before middle of next year....
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Blimey even the Chinese knock of early in Melbourne

The guys out the front of my place have gone, leaving two crews left. As you can see the pit could hardly be any closer to my existing connection.

IInet quoted me March. They are testing FTTC at private addresses round Nicholson St Coburg apparently. The one that could speak English (foreman ?) definitely reckons before Xmas.... So I may push for whoever can get the appropriate modem to me first.

My son reckons they are Koreans
Attached Thumbnails So who's on the NBN?-20170928_154430.jpg  

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 28th 2017 at 5:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.