Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So what's the cheapest warm off shore holiday around Oz?

Wikiposts

Old May 8th 2008, 3:09 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So what's the cheapest warm off shore holiday around Oz?

Just for the record - I HATED Bali and Lombok. The longest 3 weeks of my life!

Seasider - thought you were coming to Perth?
Old May 8th 2008, 6:23 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

It's like Aus everyone likes different places I suppose for different reasons.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:56 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's like Aus everyone likes different places I suppose for different reasons.
Of course.

Getting dysentry didn't help...
Old May 8th 2008, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Magnetic Island?
Old May 8th 2008, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Magnetic Island?
I'm getting world wander lust I think, withdrawal symptoms may need to go further than magnetic island.
Old May 8th 2008, 9:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

Good lord no - Perth was never a possibility; it was Sydney or Palm Cove and there's not much of an IT industry in Palm Cove.

The first time I went to Bali, which was from the UK and my first holiday after hooking up with my current husband, I spent the first 3 days sharing the bathroom with him. Not much you have to discover about each other after that. I'd only been to Asia once, to Hong Kong, was a bit careless and cleaned my teeth with tap water. Something I'd never do now, even after living there for 6 years (Singapore is not Asia in that respect; I drink the water there).

The first time I went to Lombok, I was sick for about 5 days. Not sure why as I was careful, but that was nothing compared to the earthquake.

Gotta live dangerously sometimes.
Old May 8th 2008, 10:05 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Those of you who have been out of the country...

Nothing says 'aussie" more than cheap. Chevron Island is as warm as Surfers Paradise all year round and can be accessed by walking if you live close enough.

I heard New Caledonia was quite expensive,so im afraid i cant help.Im not even sure how far away it is!
Old May 9th 2008, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by brido
Nothing says 'aussie" more than cheap. Chevron Island is as warm as Surfers Paradise all year round and can be accessed by walking if you live close enough.

I heard New Caledonia was quite expensive,so im afraid i cant help.Im not even sure how far away it is!
LOL... 2 weeks on Chevron Island...I think not but thanks for the effort.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

LOL... 2 weeks on Chevron Island...I think not but thanks for the effort.
what about Vietnam? my ex haircutterer was there late last year and said it was extremely nice
Old May 9th 2008, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
what about Vietnam? my ex haircutterer was there late last year and said it was extremely nice
yOu have to wear black pyjamas though don't you???

It has crossed my mind.

Busy trying to work out who does the best last minute deals here... any suggestions welcome.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:51 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Very hard work......be prepared for some not particularly good natured high pressure selling at every turn. I spent 17 days travelling from the Mekong Delta north to Halong Bay...by the time I was half way up I was completely over it. It was a completely different experience to Thailand and Cambodia where the people were so much friendlier and hospitable.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld
Very hard work......be prepared for some not particularly good natured high pressure selling at every turn. I spent 17 days travelling from the Mekong Delta north to Halong Bay...by the time I was half way up I was completely over it. It was a completely different experience to Thailand and Cambodia where the people were so much friendlier and hospitable.
Suppose Vietnam has already been corrupted by Americans.
Old May 9th 2008, 7:17 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been to Hanoi and Halong Bay but I loved Vietnam. Hanoi is very cool, steeped in history, mad traffic (motorbikes) and a great vibe. We went to Halong Bay at the wrong time of year (February) but the mist just made it more eery to me.

I didn't find people to be unfriendly at all - just wanting to make a living.

The curfew on bars is a bit of a bummer though (we were just getting going at 11pm and were told it was last orders in Ming's Jazz Bar - WTF?).
Old May 9th 2008, 7:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've only been to Hanoi and Halong Bay but I loved Vietnam. Hanoi is very cool, steeped in history, mad traffic (motorbikes) and a great vibe. We went to Halong Bay at the wrong time of year (February) but the mist just made it more eery to me.

It's a fascinating country - there are some amazing things to see - and Hanoi was probably the highlight.

I've nothing against people making a living, and in other countries I've had no issues. But in Vietnam I had really bad experiences, often in situations which seemed to start off with real sincerity and then just turned nasty. Like the point when you say you won't pay 10US Dollars for a postcard. Or at the end of a Cyclo ride when the agreed price miraculously doubles.
Old May 9th 2008, 7:43 pm

I'm open to all options and nobody gets a post card when I'm on holiday just a toast with a beer or two.

Originally Posted by Seasider

The curfew on bars is a bit of a bummer though (we were just getting going at 11pm and were told it was last orders in Ming's Jazz Bar - WTF?).
Originally Posted by bcworld
It's a fascinating country - there are some amazing things to see - and Hanoi was probably the highlight.

I've nothing against people making a living, and in other countries I've had no issues. But in Vietnam I had really bad experiences, often in situations which seemed to start off with real sincerity and then just turned nasty. Like the point when you say you won't pay 10US Dollars for a postcard. Or at the end of a Cyclo ride when the agreed price miraculously doubles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.