Reload this Page >

So should I stay or go?

So should I stay or go?

Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

TechieGirl is on a distinguished road
Default So should I stay or go?

Hi all,

I am looking for some insights into people's experiences in moving to Australia. I am facing a predicament where my visa has come through and I am not so sure I want to go any more.

I am South African born, single, 32, been living in London for 7 years and is soon to be British. I am due to move to Australia in April on the 175 visa, but the idea of uprooting myself from a good life that has taken me 7 years to carve out, a life I love, for the sake of an ideal of the life I think I might have in Australia fills me with worry.

Up until a year ago I was so sure that this is what I wanted to do, I had after all worked at it for so long. But now that the move is imminent, now that I am almost British and can call this home forever, I am not so sure. At the same time I don't want to regret not taking the leap of faith, it is after all that same mindset that brought me to the UK in the same place, a decision I would never regret.

So should I stay or go?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:21 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So should I stay or go?

Originally Posted by TechieGirl
Hi all,

I am looking for some insights into people's experiences in moving to Australia. I am facing a predicament where my visa has come through and I am not so sure I want to go any more.

I am South African born, single, 32, been living in London for 7 years and is soon to be British. I am due to move to Australia in April on the 175 visa, but the idea of uprooting myself from a good life that has taken me 7 years to carve out, a life I love, for the sake of an ideal of the life I think I might have in Australia fills me with worry.

Up until a year ago I was so sure that this is what I wanted to do, I had after all worked at it for so long. But now that the move is imminent, now that I am almost British and can call this home forever, I am not so sure. At the same time I don't want to regret not taking the leap of faith, it is after all that same mindset that brought me to the UK in the same place, a decision I would never regret.

So should I stay or go?

Looking at your signature, you must have validated your visa and it should be valid until 2016 - so if you're not sure it's the right thing to do now then why not wait and see what happens. As you say, you are about to get British citizenship and have a good life at present, so there is no real rush to make any decisions now - other than the plans you had made which presumably could be rescheduled or shelved
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The two reasons you have mentioned for going that I saw in that were; in search of an ideal life (even though your current one sounds very happy) and in case you regret it (you could just as easily regret walking away from what you do have).

It doesn't sound to me like you should go, not unless you would enjoy spending another 7 years carving out a life. But yes the visa will last, maybe postpone the decision until later.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

a good life that has taken me 7 years to carve out, a life I love, for the sake of an ideal of the life I think I might have in Australia
So should I stay or go?

Stay where you are...
What makes you think you will like Australia any better than London, which you already 'Love' ??

You have a life you love, I wouldn't throw it away.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 1:10 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you see yourself in the future. Will London seem like such a cool place when you're in your 40s ...and 50s? It was perfect for me when I moved there as a single 27 year old (what great days they were! ) but fast forward 15 years to early middle aged, settled, married life with two kids in secondary school, and I was desperate to escape. My wife was the same.

Strategically I would say if you can afford to wait and re-apply at a later stage - if you later change your mind, then stay put until (and if) you tire of it. Does your skill assure you of the ability to migrate to Australia when you are older? Do they stand the test of time? For example: are you a nurse or a teacher or some other very high in demand professional? If they are then no hurry - Australia can wait
Old Nov 6th 2013, 1:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

So should I stay or go?

Purely personal views - don't do it!
If you have a life that is good, my instant instinct is - don't do it. If you have a life you love, I would SHOUT Don't do it. The risk is too great.
But if you are the sort of person who loves to take a risk and cam move on easily and you have options - and money- to go elsewhere if it doesn't suit you....then OK, go for it. but have that escape route, have the cash available to leave and move on.

Sounds like you have already moved countries once, so maybe you have a good mindset and can settle easily...which makes it more difficult. Have a read of the posts by Alfresco, one of our Mods. He did SA to the UK then to Aus. was happy in the UK and is now happy in Aus.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life: Samuel Johnson

--Or woman--Al.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed

Can't imagine ever tiring of this fabulous city
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I must write more , I was once happy in London having carved out a life that had an infinitely rewarding and interesting future , I allowed the green grass syndrome to get the better of me , my only excuse, I was very young.

Now 50 years later and at the tail end of the run pursuing the green grass that started then and I can state unevocably if you've got it in London and you're happy keep it , the rest isn't worth diddly.

Australia = holiday--at the most .
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:44 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said many times on this forum If it aint broke dont fix it.
Australia doesnt magically give people a better life, you sound as if you have a good life already.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life: Samuel Johnson

--Or woman--Al.
"London's a shithole": 90% of the UK population.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Indeed

Can't imagine ever tiring of this fabulous city
There seems to be an almost infinite amount of things to do, it really would take a very long time to tire of it.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
There seems to be an almost infinite amount of things to do, it really would take a very long time to tire of it.
odd then that most Londoners seem to have tired of the place.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris955
odd then that most Londoners seem to have tired of the place.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:33 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate this is a difficult decision but the following steps could help you make up your mind. First, get your face fully made up, dress as you would normally go to work, sit in a sauna for the morning and take with you a sound recording of people speaking through their noses. When you have become accustomed to the climate and the accent, ask a friend to put buckets of spiders and snakes into the sauna with you. When you are used to squashing and tip-toeing around the fauna and are comfortable looking look like Alice Cooper because your make up has melted, pay about $1700 to leave the sauna (about the price of a return airfare) and head off for a relaxing afternoon at the beach. You will be expected to rave about the beach because as any Australian will tell you, the beaches are beautiful in Australia and the weather is always sunny. You may find the sand is a little hot but once the soles of your feet have burnt you will find the sea-lice filled and stinger infested waters most comforting. If you are prepared to just paddle, you won't have to worry about sharks. At the end of the day you may be able to buy a couple of king prawns for about $26.00 a kilo for dinner and you will be considered a true Australian if you swill these down with beer. You may fall asleep watching football, another football or Australia's Funniest Home Video Show. Repeat the above for the rest of your life. Alternatively, you could have a holiday down under, marvel at the oddities which make the Antipodes so unique and return to the life you love in a country where you can pop over to Paris for a weekend and never have to worry about looking like Alice Cooper watching strangers' home videos on television.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.