Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So many coming back!!

So many coming back!!

Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice
Default Re: So many coming back!!

[QUOTE=Jim n Nic]
Originally Posted by daisymoo
I have just been reading about people coming back home.....

You will never know whether you will love it or hate it or just simply put up with it, until you actually do it.
We all have the intention of coming to Oz for a better life, but sometimes it takes that move to realise what you did have back in the UK.
That is certainly the case for me. Am I going moan about the cost of getting there and getting back and bring up all the things I dislike about Oz? NO. It was an experience, glad I tried it, not for me thank you.
If anyone asks me about moving to Oz I would say "Do it".
Also anyone in the process of trying to get visas, just about to make the move, I wish you all the very best and good luck in the future.
My intentions of going to oz are too for a better life and maybe when i get there i will think the same but i will go ahead and do it. At the moment i dont feel like we have too much to give up here in the uk, no money, debts, not close to our families, hubby works 6-7 nights per week, i'm alone most of the time with my kids so we will hopefully be able to change our lives for the better but obviously if it did'nt work we would rethink.
Carol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by hawk2005
People have a bigger comfort zone than they thought, but only realise it once they have stepped outside of it

Recreating a new one is sometimes a thing which some returnees could not do sufficiently quickly or just were unwilling to do full stop.

The thought of ever having to return to that cold, grey skied, alcohol sodden, badly managed, dirty, overcrowded country sends shivers down my spine

Hope we feel the same, in fact i'm sure we will, it sends shivers down my spine at the thought of having to stay here much longer
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Luma
But lots become ping pom poms. Sometimes you have to go home to realise that actually it wasn't so bad over there afterall
I know a couple of those
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blowers
You will see a lot of people making comments like :"same sh*t, different bucket" or 'what you gain on the swings, you lose on the roundabouts". I won't go on and on, but this just about sums it up really. So, perhaps council tax is extortionate in the UK, but my monthly phone bill from Telstra (who practically have a monopoly out here) or the cost of my flight back home on Qantas (who practically have a monopoly out here - bit of a pattern here) could make you cry. And young people here can't get on the housing ladder either. But yes, you got sun, and you got warmth, and you got the beaches, and to be honest if thats what makes you happy, you'll be happy here. Unfortunately, a lot of people, myself included think that this will make them happy, and realise that actually, given the choice between beaches and their friends and family back home, its the friends and family they want. This is very common!
Most people here, even if they decide to go back, would agree this is a great country, just that some of them would prefer maybe to visit it, rather than live here.
Others come here, love it from day 1 and 20 years later are still loving it - so good luck to you, and hopefully you'll be happy here, but its good to have an open mind.

My mind is always open to all views and opinions and i wouldn't judge anyone, i just hope i'm one of the 20 years people. We want this so much no doubt as other people do, our closest friends are there and we are not close to our families although we all live near to each other we probably dont see them even monthly so as far as we are concerned our little family is all that matters.
Carol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jlkk
We are one of those ping pong poms.
We are on our way back although we are not returning to the same place as we were, I do think that was a big problem for us. We did not settle in Adelaide and put it down to homesickness, but the reality is, we did not like Adelaide that much. (our opinion).

All I will say to those returning to the UK or anywhere else is, (like it was said to us plenty of times)...try somewhere else first...believe me its an expensive way of testing what you do want. If that does not work then at least you know either way.

LibbyX
I totally agree, if we head to perth and we dont like it then we would try somewhere else, something completely opposite
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
In today's Courier Mail (can't be bothered to search for the online link) a report is saying that 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost of buying a house is going on government charges (read: tax). So if you buy a $450k house, you hand over $150k in tax.

And did you know that the top rate income tax here is 48.5%?

Your kids will struggle to get on the property ladder here too and who knows? Your hubby may have to work long hours to get a decent wage too.

FWIW I'm just playing devil's advocate. I love it here, I'm not dissing the place but I really think you need to take a look at the bigger picture. Your post screams out that you think everything is so much better here when the reality is that some things are better and some things are not.
I'm just like everyone else, i want a change and i wouldn't think it was the answer to everything. I have done my homework, eg, tax, salary, healthcare, property prices etc and you know what i still want to do it. I've read so much on this forum good and bad, i've been to sandown twice for as much info as i can get so it's not just a whim,i've been reserching for 14 months. We both know and are fully prepared to work long and hard, all we want to do is have a change, we've felt like this for about 5 years.
Carol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Daisymoo, not having a dig, but can you take off the rose tinted glasses.
Like others have said, people have different needs. You will still have to work when you get to oz, you will still have bills to pay etc. Hopefully you will have a better lifestyle, and that is one of the many reasons we are moving. Hope you find what you are looking for, good luck

Suni

I dont own any rose tinted glasses, we both fully intend to work long and hard, why change the habit of a lifetime, we would rather do it in a better climate with the opportunity of a more outdoors lifestyle in a country that the majority of people say is wonderful. MY little family and me thrive in our summer, we make the most of the warmer weather and the ability to spend the majority of our spare time outside, like a lot of people we hibernate through the winter not wishing to rear our ugly heads. I know what our needs our and that is why we are trying to do this, i would never take such a big step on a whim

Carol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hevs
This is funny to read. When i joined here nearly 3 years ago posts like this were common place and in those days you had the likes of PB and Dotty screaming in a very condecending way for us to "take off our rose tints" And all of us telling each other to "just ignore them. They're only bitter etc"

So. Would any of us listen? NO! Because it was our dream to live and we were gonna do it no matter what some tool on an internet forum said.

Now it seems to have come full circle. Those of us who have been around a bit realise that, although said often in a somewhat offensive manner, PB, dotty and the like DID have some very valid points.

Now WE all choose to share those points but in a constructive, less condecending way and kindly say "take yer rose tints off love, yer dreaming" And we certainly have more back up these days too.

So. Would knowing what i know now change my decision? No. But its been a long hard road and i wouldn't choose to do it ever again

Everyones needs, wants and expectations vary immensly and for that they should never be judged

Hands up who thinks i am judging i just happened to be reading the posts and wondered stupidly out loud what people were missing but at the same time not wanting to be nosey. Wish now i'd never read anything. I know what my needs wants and expectations are and totally understand that others are not the same. I said jokingly about the blue skies but am not stupid enough to think it's the cure for everything. I am 43 years old with 3 kids, eldest 23 youngest 12, been through quite a bit, i'm not naeive and i'm very sorry if it's been hard for you, i hope i dont feel like you at the same stage of the game. Good luck with your return

Carol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont own any rose tinted glasses, we both fully intend to work long and hard, why change the habit of a lifetime, we would rather do it in a better climate with the opportunity of a more outdoors lifestyle in a country that the majority of people say is wonderful. MY little family and me thrive in our summer, we make the most of the warmer weather and the ability to spend the majority of our spare time outside, like a lot of people we hibernate through the winter not wishing to rear our ugly heads. I know what our needs our and that is why we are trying to do this, i would never take such a big step on a whim

Carol

One advantage that the UK has over Aus with the UK summer is the Light hours. Winter is approaching us in the Southern states, it wont be as cold, but it sure as hell will be dark when most people get home. The Light hours in the UK summer compared to the Aussie summer are far greater, giving more time for people to enjoy the outside daylight hours.

Personally I'd rather be outside in 7 degrees in London at 7.30 pm in April in the light, than 13 degrees in April here in Melbourne at 7.30 pm in the Dark.

Also who cares if It's dark at 3.45 pm mid December in London, if it's only 2 degrees outside, when you can compare that to Mid June, at 10.30 pm a nice dusk and 11 degrees. Light hours are as important as the Temperature in my opinion.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One advantage that the UK has over Aus with the UK summer is the Light hours. Winter is approaching us in the Southern states, it wont be as cold, but it sure as hell will be dark when most people get home. The Light hours in the UK summer compared to the Aussie summer are far greater, giving more time for people to enjoy the outside daylight hours.

Personally I'd rather be outside in 7 degrees in London at 7.30 pm in April in the light, than 13 degrees in April here in Melbourne at 7.30 pm in the Dark.

Also who cares if It's dark at 3.45 pm mid December in London, if it's only 2 degrees outside, when you can compare that to Mid June, at 10.30 pm a nice dusk and 11 degrees. Light hours are as important as the Temperature in my opinion.

The weather and temperature are not the most important things in my life, i know that it gets dark in an instant, i also love to sit outside here till 10pm sometimes still light but i'm open to all things new.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The weather and temperature are not the most important things in my life, i know that it gets dark in an instant, i also love to sit outside here till 10pm sometimes still light but i'm open to all things new.
On my first visit in 16 years last June, I Hadn't realised how much I had missed the summer daylight.

'tis strange how you forget the simpliest things.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hope i have redeemed myself if i needed to, i have tried to explain to everyone what i meant and that it wasn't meant in a negative way. My god this is hard :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: So many coming back!!

Hope i have redeemed myself if i needed to, i have tried to explain to everyone what i meant and that it wasn't meant in a negative way. My god this is hard :scared: :scared:
I think you've done very well.

Read all the responses, then visit Australia for a reccie and draw your own conclusions.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:45 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]I think you've done very well.

Read all the responses, then visit Australia for a reccie and draw your own conclusions.

I think she has done very well as well, good on her for posting her feelings
Isn't that what makes the forum interesting, feelings ,not the bloody price of cabbage.

If she's like me she won't be able to afford a reccie and before everybody starts going mental at me, i have worked and lived in aus when i was younger.

I read the responses and was a little afraid to reply and i have been stoating around it for a wee while, so good on you Daisymoo You've obviously got guts
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:31 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hands up who thinks i am judging i just happened to be reading the posts and wondered stupidly out loud what people were missing but at the same time not wanting to be nosey. Wish now i'd never read anything. I know what my needs wants and expectations are and totally understand that others are not the same. I said jokingly about the blue skies but am not stupid enough to think it's the cure for everything. I am 43 years old with 3 kids, eldest 23 youngest 12, been through quite a bit, i'm not naeive and i'm very sorry if it's been hard for you, i hope i dont feel like you at the same stage of the game. Good luck with your return

Carol
I wasn't saying that you were judging, just that "people" in general should never judge.

FWIW life has, untill recently, been good. I am not returning and neither do i intend to. But having a husband life threateningly ill in hospital with none of his family around takes its toll and certainly makes you (and him) feel very very very far away from those you want to see most in the world. Its certainly not something i factored into the equation whilst dreaming of barbies on the beach!

Ozzie, a rare thing but i do, for once, totally see where you're coming from. Not sure i agree, but totally understand

Last edited by hevs; Mar 30th 2006 at 10:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.