Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So many coming back!!

So many coming back!!

Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:07 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many coming back!!

Originally Posted by daisymoo
tax, tax, tax
In today's Courier Mail (can't be bothered to search for the online link) a report is saying that 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost of buying a house is going on government charges (read: tax). So if you buy a $450k house, you hand over $150k in tax.

And did you know that the top rate income tax here is 48.5%?

Your kids will struggle to get on the property ladder here too and who knows? Your hubby may have to work long hours to get a decent wage too.

FWIW I'm just playing devil's advocate. I love it here, I'm not dissing the place but I really think you need to take a look at the bigger picture. Your post screams out that you think everything is so much better here when the reality is that some things are better and some things are not.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been reading about people coming back home from mainly perth or surrounding areas, i'm quite amazed, there's us all here desperate to get out there but the same applies to all of those there. Our friends have been gone 5 weeks and are loving it, they've bought their new 4x4 they've bought a house near perth and are renting in bunbury because they have to stay there for a certain period for their visas. They are having barbies, swimming in the indian ocean when it's pi**ing down here, what more could we want. Seriously i know that these are not the right reasons for wanting to go but i hope these people realise how bad things are here, the cost of living is horrendous, we work to exist not to have any quality of life, the incomings are nowhere near as much as the outgoings, council tax is ridiculous in fact it's tax, tax, tax for more than is necessary, my husband works sometimes 7 nights a week just to try and keep on top but of course we are not. The youngsters just starting out have absolutely no chance of getting on the property ladder.
I know OZ will not be the be all and end all of everything but surely when the sun is shining or the sky is blue not black, you can feel better equipped to cope with it.
Good luck to everybody coming home
carol
Not everyone has an horrendous life like you describe in the UK. Not everyone ultimately wants what Australia has to offer. Some people feel that Australia was nice for a time, but not where they want to be long term. It does have a lot to offer, but alongside that, you will make compromises to live there. It's all about personal choice, and there is no right or wrong about what you choose - it's what works for you. Everybody has hurdles to overcome, and no amount of planning can prepare you for what it really feels like to emigrate.

Ask the people whose marriages are under immense strain because of the stresses of starting a new life, or whose kids are unhappy at their new school, or whose mums are 10000 miles away and sick, whether they go to bed each night thinking "ah well, at least the sun is shining".

Good luck for you and your family with the move and hope it's all you want it to be.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:45 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Folks have pretty much covered most bases on this thread already, so I thought I'd just add that my main reason for going is the stuff I know I can't experience in the UK: the wide open spaces and the natural history. Having been in Aus for a total of 6 months on two previous trips, I know that Aus' natural history can keep me happily engrossed for the rest of my life. I just wish more people would take an interest in going exploring because there's so much to see...

I doubt I'll be any better off in Aus materially (in fact probably the opposite) and I'm not going for the weather, beaches or barbies. Nope, I know what I like about Aus, and the rest will just sort of 'happen' around me!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:48 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Daisymoo, not having a dig, but can you take off the rose tinted glasses.
Like others have said, people have different needs. You will still have to work when you get to oz, you will still have bills to pay etc. Hopefully you will have a better lifestyle, and that is one of the many reasons we are moving. Hope you find what you are looking for, good luck

Suni
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:14 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

This is funny to read. When i joined here nearly 3 years ago posts like this were common place and in those days you had the likes of PB and Dotty screaming in a very condecending way for us to "take off our rose tints" And all of us telling each other to "just ignore them. They're only bitter etc"

So. Would any of us listen? NO! Because it was our dream to live and we were gonna do it no matter what some tool on an internet forum said.

Now it seems to have come full circle. Those of us who have been around a bit realise that, although said often in a somewhat offensive manner, PB, dotty and the like DID have some very valid points.

Now WE all choose to share those points but in a constructive, less condecending way and kindly say "take yer rose tints off love, yer dreaming" And we certainly have more back up these days too.

So. Would knowing what i know now change my decision? No. But its been a long hard road and i wouldn't choose to do it ever again

Everyones needs, wants and expectations vary immensly and for that they should never be judged
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
This is funny to read. When i joined here nearly 3 years ago posts like this were common place and in those days you had the likes of PB and Dotty screaming in a very condecending way for us to "take off our rose tints" And all of us telling each other to "just ignore them. They're only bitter etc"

So. Would any of us listen? NO! Because it was our dream to live and we were gonna do it no matter what some tool on an internet forum said.

Now it seems to have come full circle. Those of us who have been around a bit realise that, although said often in a somewhat offensive manner, PB, dotty and the like DID have some very valid points.

Now WE all choose to share those points but in a constructive, less condecending way and kindly say "take yer rose tints off love, yer dreaming" And we certainly have more back up these days too.

So. Would knowing what i know now change my decision? No. But its been a long hard road and i wouldn't choose to do it ever again

Everyones needs, wants and expectations vary immensly and for that they should never be judged
Ditto what the loony tune says
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:36 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear from you Hevs; you've had a gutfull of late.

Take care.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

What suits one wont suit the other.

I am sometimes shocked for SOME of the reasons for returning, as in missing UK shops and admit to being jealous for those that get their visas easily, have the cash to get everything at once and then come back within a month.

But, I am not in their shoes and as I say, Im just jealous - probably because we have had a constant struggle and still feel a million miles away to getting the visa.

I can understand the pain someone feels if a loved one back in the UK is ill, the isolation and the need to return.

As I say, different reasons, some I can understand and some I cant but we cannot impose our way of thinking on others.

What constitutes as a valid reason for returning for one, isnt for another.

Althought the guy that had driven 15 mins from Brissie airport and then turned round and went back, well, I really dont get that.

But its their life and their choice how they live it.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Althought the guy that had driven 15 mins from Brissie airport and then turned round and went back, well, I really dont get that.
lol! Thread link please!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I would say something similar, but would add an extra footnote; almost in some cruel twist of irony, I still believe in what I believed in 4 years ago, it hasn't actually changed; in other words, I don't feel I need to feel guilty about rose tinted glasses. I still haven't changed, I'm still true to myself, if that makes sense.I am more open to telling other people that it might not be plain sailing, because I feel more charitable from an expats point of view. For a long time, I couldn't be bothered! Initially, I preferred to concentrate on showing people the real 'funny' australia, if only the positives so I got a reputation for positivity if not rose tints. I had no need for negativity because I had lived here. I often wonder how I might have gone if I had not visited here before joining the forum. Meanwhile I was making sure my wife was absolutely sure she didn't have a rose tinted view of Australia herself. I remember sitting her down and warning her! Seems like only yesterday.

I was also lucky to see the real Australia, outback, rural, semi-rural and suburban and not as a holiday. And the funny thing, is that I STILL like Australia for the same reasons I liked it 4 years ago. Nothing has changed! So it is a kind of a win win situation.

Hevs I loved that post you did (last year) when you agreed with me (oh no!) and said "you either get it or don't get it". I was like, at last, someone knows what I was trying to get at all those years ago! I think that is more important than rose tints, or lack thereof.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

Hevs I loved that post you did (last year) when you agreed with me (oh no!) and said "you either get it or don't get it".
I may have to steal that phrase as my motto...
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:58 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Because that way, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have his shoes.
Another Billy Connolly fan?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by worzel
Another Billy Connolly fan?
LOL, I was trying to remember who'd originally said that!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:56 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Oh God , wish i hadn't read this thread, i really don't need this just now :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

they've bought their new 4x4 they've bought a house near perth and are renting in bunbury .............. They are having barbies, swimming in the indian ocean when it's pi**ing down here, what more could we want
That seems to about sum it up for a lot of people.

What next though?

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.