Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

So ... the Holden Commodore ... what is the deal?

So ... the Holden Commodore ... what is the deal?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default So ... the Holden Commodore ... what is the deal?

We have test driven a fair few cars recently.

We like the Holden Commodore best. It has all the bells and whistles we want, it has enough room for an LPG conversion, it was manufactured in Australia (thinking about the old carbon footprint) and best of all it is within our budget.

Can somebody please explain to me why Commodore owners get laughed out of town?

PS: it won't change our minds.... we are buying that car, we just want to know what we are up against
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So ... the Holden Commodore ... what is the deal?

For the love of God, somebody tell them ...

Think of the children.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Three Legs
For the love of God, somebody tell them ...

Think of the children.
yes please...

somebody put me out of my misery!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

God, even I know, & I'm in Scotland!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
God, even I know, & I'm in Scotland!!
Go on then NB...

<drum roll>
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: So ... the Holden Commodore ... what is the deal?

Originally Posted by dejags
We have test driven a fair few cars recently.

We like the Holden Commodore best. It has all the bells and whistles we want, it has enough room for an LPG conversion, it was manufactured in Australia (thinking about the old carbon footprint) and best of all it is within our budget.

Can somebody please explain to me why Commodore owners get laughed out of town?

PS: it won't change our minds.... we are buying that car, we just want to know what we are up against
Holdens are traditionally bogan cars (click here to learn what a bogan is). Classic bogan models include the EH Holden, Kingswood, Torana and Commodore.

Comodores are favourites because they tend to have big engines (V6, V8) and lots of space for the fat bogan girlfriend. They also have the advantage of looking like they were at least partly built on the correct side of the 20th Century. Bogans on a budget will go for a Gemini or Camira.

Hence the classic quote from The Castle: "Steve, could you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore".

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Holdens are traditionally bogan cars (click here to learn what a bogan is). Classic bogan models include the EH Holden, Kingswood, Torana and Commodore.

Comodores are favourites because they tend to have big engines (V6, V8) and lots of space for the fat bogan girlfriend. They also have the advantage of looking like they were at least partly built on the correct side of the 20th Century. Bogans on a budget will go for a Gemini or Camira.

Hence the classic quote from The Castle: "Steve, could you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore".

If Holden gave me one free, I'd take the latest model quite happily.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:26 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If Holden gave me one free, I'd take the latest model quite happily.
Yea, but you're a bogan Badge.

Teehee. Hows things mate?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Go on then NB...

<drum roll>
A bogan is................aw bugger, vash beat me to it
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:29 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

(thinking about the old carbon footprint)
If you REALLY want to think about your carbon footprint, grab a car without a 3.6 litre engine!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:41 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PeteY
If you REALLY want to think about your carbon footprint, grab a car without a 3.6 litre engine!
Nah, go for the supercharged 6.2 V8 (like the cashed-up bogans do)

Thats what I'd go for if I was buying a new car (and bugger the carbon). I actually like the new Commodores and for $62k-ish, its not bad value. Sure beats paying stupid money for an Audi or something else with 'luxury tax' added on.

I've been told I 'do bogan' very well. So well, that I have to be a bit careful.....

Last edited by johnnyx0; Jun 23rd 2009 at 3:16 pm. Reason: adding more sparkle!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

The funniest thing about the Holden Commodore is that here in Dubai, they're badged up as the Cheve Lumina. But they still have bogans driving them, just bogans in dishdash instead of flano shirts. They even come complete with fluffy dice and an elbow hanging out the window.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

i forgot to say that a couple of years ago my husband had a Berlina as a work vehicle - it was actually a pretty comfy and nice car to drive - just lucky the windows were tinted so nobody could see me in the drivers seat.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: So ... the Holden Commodore ... what is the deal?

Originally Posted by Kim67
They even come complete with fluffy dice and an elbow hanging out the window.
A hardcore bogan has both elbows hanging out the window!

i forgot to say that a couple of years ago my husband had a Berlina as a work vehicle - it was actually a pretty comfy and nice car to drive - just lucky the windows were tinted so nobody could see me in the drivers seat.
The Berlinas were rather nice. Needless to say, you'll never see a bogan in one.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:57 pm
Axe
Forum Regular

Axe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud ofAxe has much to be proud of

So you're saying I must stay away from the HSVs and rather go look at the FPVs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.