Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Snowy road conditions around Heathrow

Snowy road conditions around Heathrow

Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snowy road conditions around Heathrow

My son is due to be flying out of heathrow to come home to Australia on Monday morning. Whilst I am able to keep an eye on the airport and airline websites, can any locals give me an idea of what the road conditions are like between Farnborough/Bracknell/Staines area?

Please
Old Jan 19th 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snowy road conditions around Heathrow

Posted this when the Uk was asleep. Doh!
Old Jan 19th 2013, 1:27 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Check the BBC website,tis not good reading esp about Heathrow and the hundreds of cancelled flights n people sleeping on the floors.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just want my boy home safe and sound.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunbather

I just want my boy home safe and sound.
Quite a lot of snow predicted for Sunday and Monday in the south east. By all accounts most of the cancellations were due to visibility.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 7:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunbather,

At the moment, all the main roads are pretty good. Likely to freeze in ungritted areas overnight but the motorway and link roads are all clear. There is snow expected tomorrow, but it was expected today and nothing as yet (8pm). Flights have been a bit delayed so may want to check with airline, and Heathrow what their status's are.

Any change and I'll post an update if you like
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks sparkles. That reassures me heaps. I've been keeping an eye on heathrow and his airline which have got the last two day's flights out ok. I'm more concerned about him actually getting to the airport. I'm sure that once on to the motorways he'll be fine, it's the minor roads and the fact he had an inexperienced 19 year old driving him there that worries me. My daughter who he's staying with, keeps telling me not to worry but it's my job to worry lol.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:01 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks sparkles. That reassures me heaps. I've been keeping an eye on heathrow and his airline which have got the last two day's flights out ok. I'm more concerned about him actually getting to the airport. I'm sure that once on to the motorways he'll be fine, it's the minor roads and the fact he had an inexperienced 19 year old driving him there that worries me. My daughter who he's staying with, keeps telling me not to worry but it's my job to worry lol.
Hi sunbather,

it's been snowing most of the day but not settling too much. The temperature is very low so even gritted roads could be icy in the morning. There is also more snow expected tomorrow afternoon. The motorways are still fine, but make sure he tells whoevers driving him to allow plenty of time, and go slow on the minor roads and all will be fine. What time is his flight tomorrow?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 20th 2013 at 7:01 pm. Reason: re-phrase
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I heard lots of flights were cancelled- hope he made it out of there.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks sparkles. He needs to be at heathrow for 8.45am for an 11.45am flight out, so hopefully his flight can take off before the afternnon's predicted snowfall and poor visibility. I'll just be glad when he's safely up in the air. Thanks for the updates, the family still think I'm being a pain for worrying, lol.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

My boy arrived home safe and sound, on time. Thanks for those who helped
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:50 pm

My boy arrived home safe and sound, on time. Thanks for those who helped
Glad to hear it
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

happy days!