Snakes in Australia

Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:14 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Snakes in Australia

Has anyone had a close encounter with a snake? I can cope with the spiders, I bomb the house or spray and do not get problems with them, but snakes are a different thing. I went out the back garden when living in Jimboomba and a green tree snake was making a hasty retreat from the back door. Then as we were leaving for work another day we saw a big Brown snake going across the drive. Now, we live down on the Gold Coast in a residential area and thought we would be relatively ok, but it seems not, today I went in the back garden (if you can call it that) and there was a dead, Red bellied black snake!!!! It looked like a kookaburra had a go at it and left it behind when I disturbed it. It was only a baby snake which may mean there is a nest somewhere around There is no quick cure for getting rid of snakes and it's a matter of bieng careful.

I read on one site that the red belly is dangerous:

"The Red Bellied Black Snake is a dangerous snake species found in Australia. It is a red bellied snake, and black on top, hence the name. It inhabits mainly the east coast of Australia, close to a source of water. They can grow up to 1.5 metres in length. This snake usually gives birth to about 20 live snakes at one time.

The bite of a Red Bellied Black Snake is very dangerous and requires immediate medical attention."

Attached Thumbnails Snakes in Australia-brownsnake.gif   Snakes in Australia-greentreesnake_rd.jpg   Snakes in Australia-redbelliedblacksnake.jpg  
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:52 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snakes in Australia

A red belly is only really a threat to a young child or an elderly person. They don't usually kill a person who's fit and healthy, though you'd be sick for a few days. They'd give you anti venom in hospital.
I nearly trod on one a few months ago, walking the dog, but noticed it just in time...

I wouldn't worry about it. Snakes are very shy and if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Has anyone had a close encounter with a snake? I can cope with the spiders, I bomb the house or spray and do not get problems with them, but snakes are a different thing. I went out the back garden when living in Jimboomba and a green tree snake was making a hasty retreat from the back door. Then as we were leaving for work another day we saw a big Brown snake going across the drive. Now, we live down on the Gold Coast in a residential area and thought we would be relatively ok, but it seems not, today I went in the back garden (if you can call it that) and there was a dead, Red bellied black snake!!!! It looked like a kookaburra had a go at it and left it behind when I disturbed it. It was only a baby snake which may mean there is a nest somewhere around There is no quick cure for getting rid of snakes and it's a matter of bieng careful.

"The Red Bellied Black Snake is a dangerous snake species found in Australia. It is a red bellied snake, and black on top, hence the name. It inhabits mainly the east coast of Australia, close to a source of water. They can grow up to 1.5 metres in length. This snake usually gives birth to about 20 live snakes at one time.

The bite of a Red Bellied Black Snake is very dangerous and requires immediate medical attention."

Had one for a few weeks appearing in our front garden, got the snake man out to check if there was any nest....nothing thank god! We also had a dead baby brown snake in our back garden! friends of ours live in Burleigh had a brown snake in there garden too.

All the best
Sue x
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:49 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think statistically you have got more chance of being killed by a donkey
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:07 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The girl that works our local club bar was bitten three times by a Black Whip Snake. She was bitten Saturday lunchtime, the snake was killed by her dog just after the third bite so was positively identified later at the hospital, she spent the night in the hospital and was back to do her shift at 2pm on the Sunday.
Black Whips are often mistaken for Red Bellied Blacks neither are fatal if treatment is administered to a normal healthy adult.
She's a Kiwi so built from tough stuff
We see quite a few snakes up here, the Kookaburras got one a couple of days ago and made a real fuss letting us know they'd done a good turn
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:22 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

My wife thought she saw a snake in our bed last night, whilst I was asleep, but it turned out to be a false alarm.........She said that at first glance it had taken on the appearance of an anaconda wearing an ecclesiastical bishops hat?
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:34 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
My wife thought she saw a snake in our bed last night, whilst I was asleep, but it turned out to be a false alarm.........She said that at first glance it had taken on the appearance of an anaconda wearing an ecclesiastical bishops hat?
I hope she took a knife to it and clubbed it hard with a mallet just to be sure.

You can never be too careful imo.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:37 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I hope she took a knife to it and clubbed it hard with a mallet just to be sure.

You can never be too careful imo.
Yeah....and strangely enough, that's the exact same time that I woke up......
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:38 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think statistically you have got more chance of being killed by a donkey
FFS don't say things like that, where I take the dog a walk is a donkey!!! It glares at us as we pass the field. Thats it now, I will not worry about the wellies to protect my legs from bites in the grass, just make sure I take the cattle prod for the donkey.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:40 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

FFS don't say things like that, where I take the dog a walk is a donkey!!! It glares at us as we pass the field. Thats it now, I will not worry about the wellies to protect my legs from bites in the grass, just make sure I take the cattle prod for the donkey.
I've heard that the QLD government is thinking of erecting "Donkey Nets", which means that the provisioning of water has had to be de-prioritised to make way for this urgent new task.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I am more concerned with the crap driving and the constant deaths and injuries on the roads, a far more likely prospect than being bitten by a snake
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:56 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with donkey nets is that they can trap innocent horses

I've heard that the QLD government is thinking of erecting "Donkey Nets", which means that the provisioning of water has had to be de-prioritised to make way for this urgent new task.

Last edited by themerlin; Mar 6th 2007 at 4:18 am.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 3:59 am

Beware !

Attached Thumbnails Snakes in Australia-donkey.jpg  
Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by bridie

Personally I am more concerned with the crap driving and the constant deaths and injuries on the roads, a far more likely prospect than being bitten by a snake
Unless of course you happen to drive into an abandoned car full of snakes?