Wikiposts

Smoko?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smoko?

My husband is off for a business trip to Oz end of the week and we need a translation. His hotel says Smoko in the morning between 9-11am. What the heck does Smoko time mean?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:02 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoko?

Tea break...or if your posh....Morning Tea
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

.....as in smoke break. There's also a place called Smoko near Harrietville on the way to Mt. Hotham.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
My husband is off for a business trip to Oz end of the week and we need a translation. His hotel says Smoko in the morning between 9-11am. What the heck does Smoko time mean?
On site it mean's Smoke Break, So maybe they are referring to some sort of break time.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:33 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Standard phrase used throughout Aus to describe a tea break or morning break.

You get your smoko room - tea room, and your smoko van - snack van.

Strangely, very few people actually smoke during the smoko nowadays!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

So I guess in a hotel that would mean that morning tea can be ordered between those hours only? Anyone else think that's an odd thing? Not like it's breakfast or anything is it?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

lol, i never heard that phrase yet.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Break time, I work on the railway and that was the very first phrase I learnt.

Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:45 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
So I guess in a hotel that would mean that morning tea can be ordered between those hours only? Anyone else think that's an odd thing? Not like it's breakfast or anything is it?
I can understand having a "smoko" whilst your on the building site or working in the office....but whilst staying in a hotel ? that's a new one.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by markallwood
I can understand having a "smoko" whilst your on the building site or working in the office....but whilst staying in a hotel ? that's a new one.
Just a general term for a break
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, I guess it is a break. Hopefully, it doesn't mean the hotel staff get smoko break from 9-11am LOL.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:22 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Smoko doesnt necessarily refer to stopping for a smoke, as Trig says its tea break.

Tools down.. head to the canteen, or freshly gyprocked garage, to raid the esky and have a yarn

Ste
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

what is esky? I guess having a yarn means have a chat/natter/gossip. Maybe I need to write all these words down for him before he goes. I thought they spoke English but you are making me wonder. I can just imgaine him with his American accent trying to say some of these words to them.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:39 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

what is esky? I guess having a yarn means have a chat/natter/gossip. Maybe I need to write all these words down for him before he goes. I thought they spoke English but you are making me wonder. I can just imgaine him with his American accent trying to say some of these words to them.
Cooler Box

Joke for you:

A eskimo breaks down in his car in new zealand.

Local mechanic comes out, inspects and says youve blown your seal.

The eskimo says, so fkn what you shag sheep ya rude bastard !
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast