Smokers

Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smokers

Originally Posted by Call me AL
I miss smoking. Im glad I dont anymore and I wont go back but I miss it.

Especially with a pint.

Or after sex.

I loved my smokes I did.
ditto....... I feel your pain
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by memewest
Thanks Helena, the actual giving up smoking was fine, because i wanted to do it, and staying off the cigs was ok, till the clothes started getting really tight...no what i mean..
I promised my OH and kids when i started again, that i would give up when i had lost weight and gone back to what i was originally, and am just over halfway there... why is it it takes longer to lose than to put on....
i went up to 13st12lbs which is quite alot when your only 5ft3, and am now at 11st4lbs, would like to get to around the 9st 7lb/10st mark, though jogging 3 miles a day is out the question
congrats to you for doing so well....
You are doing really well Keep it up, you have done really well I used to be 13 st 8lbs and I am only 5 feet tall I am now 8 st 4lbs. I have to admit that I did buy cigs a couple of weeks ago although I did not open them. I thought, God I'd rather die of cancer than put weight back on, so I bought them but I came to my senses
Keep up the good work

Helena
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:37 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
My 11 year old daughter has a bowel disease called Ulcerative Colitis.......and over the years I have read quite a few articles regarding Chrones/UC becoming passive/less active when the patient smoked.
Can't say for sure but I have been on many sites researching these inflammatory bowel diseases..........and it seems to be true that smoking can help certain people reduce their symptoms.
Seems to be stress related and smoking reduced their stress levels.....hence a milder flare up or remission.
Beth x x
My Dad had colitis and it definately worsened when he stopped smoking. He restarted (GP's advice ) and it got much better and was manageable. This was when he was 47. He died at 65 from lung cancer
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:51 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gorgeousgal
My Dad had colitis and it definately worsened when he stopped smoking. He restarted (GP's advice ) and it got much better and was manageable. This was when he was 47. He died at 65 from lung cancer
Sorry to hear about your Dad
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases are bloody horrible......and I'm not suprised your Dad's GP suggested he started smoking again to help ease his symtoms.
I've been warned that my 11 year old has a much higher chance of developing bowel cancer at some point in her life..........and my gran died of breast cancer but she didn't smoke.
Life is short when you look back........so we want to give our kids some happy memories........hopefully in Oz
Beth x x
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Try buying your friend The book "Alan Carrs easyway to stop smoking". In order to stop smoking smokers need to realise that its not an enjoyable habit but a plain and simple nicotine addiction. Try smoking one after the other without that cup of tea or coffee or chewing gum after and just see how revolting it actually tastes.
BTW i am a smoker, i was an ex smoker but started again after 3 years for reasons i don't want to go into but i am getting ready to stop again and very much look forward to being free from my nicotine addiction.
Most smokers will justify their addiction any way possible so try getting your friend to read this book if you can. I hope this helps
I read that book and after 20+ years of smoking and trying alsorts to give up, I did it with the book 3 weeks before my wedding 3 years ago and have not looked back..no cravings and no regrets!!

But as others say until your friend is ready then she wont....
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flowergal
Well guys its almost 24 hours since my last fag, and Im pleased to say Im doing ok!!!!! suck my patch on this morning, Iv chewed a few more chewing gums than I normaly would, and I walked for 30 mins along burns beach, so day 1 is almost over and Im giving myself a pat on the back Ill report back in a few days if that ok with you guys.

Amanda
Good luck Amanda - you can do it.

The next 2 weeks will be the hardest. After that you are NO LONGER an addict!! Everything else is habit.

If you feel like a ciggie, come on BE and we'll all chat to you until the feeling has passed.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

Thanks guys for the support

Amanda
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda
How's it going? Have you got to 48 hours yet?

It gets easier every day.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies - and good luck for the ones who are on their way to quitting!

I have been free for 10 years now and am also just winning the battle of the bulge......
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:04 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda
Good luck!
I'm giving up on Good Friday as we're going camping and I thought the change of scenery would help. I'm actually looking forward to it
Just hope I don't want to climb the walls of the tent
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:23 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
You want to get someone to quit something? (and this means anything, for we all have our vices that strike others as detrimental to our lives ...)

Don't nag them about it.

And for Christ's sake don't buy them a book about stopping unless you want to lose a friend as well.

Unless you've tried it how TF do you know. My best friend got my book for me and it was the best thing as it stopped me smoking in a week. I had tried all these patches and gum and it didn't work for me.
Yes its ok to give your advice but don't knock someone elses.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:40 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by memewest
It makes me MAD..........you want your friend to do something that YOU want her to do and she doesn't!!!
Everyone who smokes know the risks that go with it......and some people are happy to live like that.....and if that is what SHE wants, then YOU have to learn to live with and respect her decision.....
I am a smoker, have given up a couple of times, but once a smoker, always a smoker....
Last time i gave up was August 2006 as we went to Oz Oct'06 and i knew being a smoker, i couldn't do the flight without a cig....I loved not smelling of cigarettes, (and so did my OH), no yellowing fingers, smelly clothes, and knew someone who smoked by them just walking past me as i got my sense of smell back, and everything i ate tasted soooo good....it was great to be able to say to people that i had given up, and for all the good and benefits i had being a non-smoker, i started again feb/march'07...
why?? cause i was bloody miserable!!
I ENJOY smoking....yes its a habit, but i really do enjoy having a cigarette...and the other thing, i put on nearly 4 STONE in just those months of not smoking....went from a size 12 to a size 18!!and that wasn't from picking....or eating the wrong things, i just ate what i normally did....but boy was i sad...
Since being back on the cig's i am back down to a size 14 and still have about a stone and a half to lose having lost 2st 6lb already, i am back to being smelly, but incredibly happy.....i know alot of it is a psychological thing, but right now in my life i would rather be slim, happy and a smoker, than a fat, miserable non-smoker!! Everyone benefits from having a happy mum/wife, and i've never smoked in our house so am not inflicting it on them....
Everyone is entitled to live their life the way they want to, and if smoking is part of that, so be it....sure, smoking kills, but have a look at the statistics on alcohol-related deaths!! Smokers are getting pushed out of society, but wouldn't everyone moan if all smokers gave up, where would the gov get the taxes from then??
This used to be a free country.... but now it seems only if you fit!!
I know what you mean about putting weight on i did that too. I thought it was stopping smoking that made me put on weight and I suppose it was partly to blame but when i was smoking i hardly ate a thing. When I stopped i started eating three meals a day not junk or crap but i just found time to eat breakfast instead of just coffee and a fag. I started going to the gym and found i had so much energy and could run for 25 mins on the tread mill and the weight did come off. I did put some back on but my weight issues are a whole other thread LOL.
I have noticed since I started smoking again that i don't eat regularly and skip meals to smoke instead, i hate it.
I'm going to read my book soon, when the time is right and I know I will stop again.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:55 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Unless you've tried it how TF do you know. My best friend got my book for me and it was the best thing as it stopped me smoking in a week. I had tried all these patches and gum and it didn't work for me.
Yes its ok to give your advice but don't knock someone elses.
What I'm saying, and I don't see it as a controversial view that I deserve to be sworn at for, is that nagging and buying 'stop' books for addicts will not be a successful tactic in the majority of cases. In my view.

The friend could easily get aggressive, take offence, and just cut you out.

It worked for you, that's great, you were obviously ready to make the decision but I don't think it's a wise move in general.

You gave your opinion and I think it's a course of action that is likely to make the situation worse, that's all that is happening here.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:02 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

The book worked for me too (almost 2 years free now). I tried inhalators, gum etc and they just made me think of ciggies even more. I say buy her the book, you can't make her read it but I bet she does eventually....

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by shoshana
I read that book and after 20+ years of smoking and trying alsorts to give up, I did it with the book 3 weeks before my wedding 3 years ago and have not looked back..no cravings and no regrets!!

But as others say until your friend is ready then she wont....
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:18 am
Lisa

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
What I'm saying, and I don't see it as a controversial view that I deserve to be sworn at for, is that nagging and buying 'stop' books for addicts will not be a successful tactic in the majority of cases. In my view.

The friend could easily get aggressive, take offence, and just cut you out.

It worked for you, that's great, you were obviously ready to make the decision but I don't think it's a wise move in general.

You gave your opinion and I think it's a course of action that is likely to make the situation worse, that's all that is happening here.
Maybe if you had put it like this in the first place I would not have been so quick to be on the defensive.

"for Christ sake don't buy a book" is pretty much saying my advice was crap.

Have you ever read this book? well I have and it worked and I know alot of people that have read this and also read the independat testimonials of others that have read it too.
Alan Carr has clinics all over the world and has over a 90% success rate and offers a money back guarantee.
I totally disagree that giving a friend a book to read would make the situation worse, and as long as this person wasn't nagged at to read it straight away but just put it in a drawer until she is ready to think about stopping where is the harm in that.

If you don't want to provoke a reaction from someone don't answer in a way that will cause offence then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.