skype alternative?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: loving the ozzie life in perth - except for the snakes
townies5 is a jewel in the roughtownies5 is a jewel in the roughtownies5 is a jewel in the roughtownies5 is a jewel in the roughtownies5 is a jewel in the rough
Default skype alternative?

we had everyone back home install skype, and it just ain't happening. we tried to make one call and it dropped about 12 times. then when we finally get through there was such a huge delay it make the chat really hard work.

are we doing something wrong? or is there something better instead?

thanks
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of
Default Re: skype alternative?

Hi Townies 5,

we had a similar issue with Skype. The only thing that ironed it out was to increase the broadband speed. If you're trying to talk to the UK via dial up you can pretty much forget it. Unfortunately as I'm sure you know, Aus is a bit backward when it comes to broadband, charging silly money for increased speeds with other conditions placed upon the user such as limiting the amount you can download/upload (which is what you're doing when using Skype) and "throttling you back" if you go over this amount.

I'm guessing you've tried Windows Live messenger?

Dave.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:16 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Similarly, If you are looking for an alternative, I would use Windows Live Messenger - works much quicker for us!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:24 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

We use a brilliant system.

Its similar to skype but is like PAYG

Its called a PHONE !

Prices start at 1p a minute ! Even I cant rack up more than 50c a month in bills
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Its called a PHONE !

Prices start at 1p a minute ! Even I cant rack up more than 50c a month in bills
Videophone, is it sir?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:32 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried Skype twice, admittedly yonks ago, but both times we got severe echo and was told to use a mic and headphones as we was using speakers and was caused by feedback.

I also didn't like the way I got a clear line with friend over in Israel, yet it was crap with a mate 20 mins down the road! ...

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
Unfortunately as I'm sure you know, Aus is a bit backward when it comes to broadband, charging silly money for increased speeds with other conditions placed upon the user such as limiting the amount you can download/upload (which is what you're doing when using Skype) and "throttling you back" if you go over this amount.
Yeah said before but I pay £40 roughly for the same service friends in the UK pay a measly £6 for through Sky! ... :curse:

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Its called a PHONE !

Yeah same here. 'Go Talk' calling card and pay 4c min to the UK.

NO echo and all good! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:32 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by townies5
or is there something better instead?

thanks
http://www.gizmoproject.com/
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We use a Linksys Skype wireless phone. And we pay (shock horror) for Skype Out, so we can ring our family in HK and UK on their ordinary phones. Using the linksys phone on our end means we can wander around while we are talking, and it gets rid of the nasty echo of shouting into a computer microphone with speakers beside it. And being able to call normal telephones means we don't have to get our pension age relatives to try to figure out how to sign up for Skype!

It works just like an ordinary phone, and costs about 2 cents a minute to the UK, and the quality is good, as long as we stay within about 20 metres of the linksys base, which is plugged into a USB port on the PC.

We used to use different types of phone cards, but I was getting frustrated with them, as they were always busy when I wanted to use them, we could only ring the UK outside peak hours. No problems like that with this setup.

Oh and to the person who said the costs of broadband here is expensive. I don't really see that. We have cable broadband with 12Gb allowance a month at 17 Mbps, for $59 a month. In the UK we had unlimited access at 1.5Mbps for 23 pounds. (23 times exchange rate of 2.4 = $55) So for $4 more we get 11 times the access speed, and we have never hit the 12Gb limit yet. Even if we did its only $10 more for 25Gb.

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jan 10th 2008 at 11:09 am.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Oh and to the person who said the costs of broadband here is expensive. I don't really see that. We have cable broadband with 12Gb allowance a month at 17 Mbps, for $59 a month. In the UK we had unlimited access at 1.5Mbps for 23 pounds. (23 times exchange rate of 2.4 = $55) So for $4 more we get 11 times the access speed, and we have never hit the 12Gb limit yet. Even if we did its only $10 more for 25Gb.

JTL
Who's that with? ... altho 12gig won't last long in this house ...

In the UK Sky will give you an 8meg line with 40gig of usage for a measly £6pm

Now THAT can't be bad!

Still makes me ... :curse: tho! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Who's that with? ... altho 12gig won't last long in this house ...

Telstra.. though I think you can get the same kind of deal if you have everything (mobile, cable tv, home phone and broadband) with Optus.

How would 12Gb not last long?? Are you downloading movies nightly or something?

I regularly download old UK tv shows from Stage6 and I haven't run over 12Gb.

JTL
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Telstra.. though I think you can get the same kind of deal if you have everything (mobile, cable tv, home phone and broadband) with Optus.

How would 12Gb not last long?? Are you downloading movies nightly or something?

I regularly download old UK tv shows from Stage6 and I haven't run over 12Gb.

JTL
Ahhh, once bitten with Bigpoo and can't go there with their upload counting with data ... :curse:

This'll explain I guess.

4 pc's and yeah I do download a fair bit, but the kids don't exactly go easy either.

A gig a day on average!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:50 am
Australia's Doorman

4 pc's and yeah I do download a fair bit, but the kids don't exactly go easy either.

A gig a day on average!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:53 am
Account Closed

YOU'RE well in the green (so to put it!) ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

I can't believe anyone stops you from using bandwidth... I just hope the UK has stopped this barbaric practice by the time I get home.

They tried to stop you using dialup by charging per minute for the phone call, now they try to stop you using broadband by charging per bit. Ridiculous!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:58 am
Australia's Doorman

YOU'RE well in the green (so to put it!) ...
Yea I know - bloody Xmas has put me off the old download schedule. One day to make up 8Gb! Time to get that Stargate box-set down ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.