Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines - transfer times

Singapore Airlines - transfer times

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

MERCAT will become famous soon enough
Default Singapore Airlines - transfer times

I have just booked a return flight for my son to visit family in the UK. I had originally asked the travel agent to book the flight with an 8 hour delay in the connection Perth - Singapore - M/cr. The Agent said she could get him on a flight which meant he would only be in Singapore 3 hours and said that was sufficient time, so I booked it. Having now looked Singapore's website it states a minimum of 4 hours between flights. Would this apply to connecting flights as he will technically still be in transit? Has anyone else had a short transfer time between flights? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:57 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Singapore Airlines - transfer times

I've had shorter transfer times than 3 hours and on one occasion missed the transfer because the initial flight was delayed. The airline sorted out an alternative flight at no additional cost.

I would have thought 3 hours would have been ideal and 8 hours a bit on the long side - unless you use could use an airport hotel room for a nap.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way you need 4 hours between flights if you are in transit and your luggage is checked all the way through. Even changing terminals is a breeze - Changi is not huge, although it may seem that way at first.

Even if luggage is not checked through (which I think would only happen if your flights were on different airlines) I would say 2-3 hours is ample. When I lived there I could be home within half an hour of landing, luggage and all.

I've transited in under 2 hours.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Quantas have booked me with a one hour stop over in Singapore and seem happy with that as a transfer time!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:53 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

I have booked a flight through Singapore with a 50 minute connection - and the transit is doable if your incoming flight is on time.

My last trip back to UK I had 1hr 30 mins between flights and it was ample time to get refreshed, grab a coffee and get back through security etc.

Bear in mind - dont buy any duty free liquids on your first leg that are over 100mls i.e. alcohol. Even if they are in a sealed bag they will take them off you at Changi as you have to go through security again. You can buy them in Changi and they take them to the boarding gate for you.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ponyrama
I have booked a flight through Singapore with a 50 minute connection - and the transit is doable if your incoming flight is on time.

My last trip back to UK I had 1hr 30 mins between flights and it was ample time to get refreshed, grab a coffee and get back through security etc.

Bear in mind - dont buy any duty free liquids on your first leg that are over 100mls i.e. alcohol. Even if they are in a sealed bag they will take them off you at Changi as you have to go through security again. You can buy them in Changi and they take them to the boarding gate for you.
Should be plenty irrespective.

The onlz thing you need to watch is if your second leg is a codeshare partner and the codeshare partner is in another teminal
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MERCAT
I have just booked a return flight for my son to visit family in the UK. I had originally asked the travel agent to book the flight with an 8 hour delay in the connection Perth - Singapore - M/cr. The Agent said she could get him on a flight which meant he would only be in Singapore 3 hours and said that was sufficient time, so I booked it. Having now looked Singapore's website it states a minimum of 4 hours between flights. Would this apply to connecting flights as he will technically still be in transit? Has anyone else had a short transfer time between flights? Any help would be much appreciated.
The minimum allowable connection time at Changi airport for a Singapore Airlines to Singapore Airlines transfer is 45 mins...airports publish the minimum possible connecting times and these are used by airlines & travel agents to determine what flights can be booked together. 3 hours is loads of time.

Not sure what the 4 hours you have seen refers to...possibly it's a guideline if someone needs to collect bags and re check in for a connecting flight, even then it seems long for super efficient Changi.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:46 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You watch - they'll take our advice and it'll all go tits up.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We transfered at Singapore and only had about 2 hours.
This was with a 4 kids in tow (one a toddler).

We had no problem getting our connecting flight. But didnt really have time hanging around Singapore airport. It was off one flight and very short wait and on another.

Gems
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MERCAT
Hi, I just came back last week and had 1.5 hours in Singapore airport. Plenty of time. Just enough time to get a cup of tea and a wander round the duty free. Luggage goes direct through so you only transit there. He will be fine.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

MERCAT will become famous soon enough

Many thanks to everyone for your advice.