Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines and connections in the UK

Singapore Airlines and connections in the UK

Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Singapore Airlines and connections in the UK

I've been looking at flights and Singapore have the best deal at the moment. The onnly thing is I need to book my connections to Edinburgh myself and the sales person on the telephone assured me that Singapore would check my bags through to Edinburgh as long as I booked with BA or British Midland.

Does anyone have experience of this?

I couldn't bear getting to London to have to claim my bags, get to a different terminal and check-in again!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Airlines and connections in the UK

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I've been looking at flights and Singapore have the best deal at the moment. The onnly thing is I need to book my connections to Edinburgh myself and the sales person on the telephone assured me that Singapore would check my bags through to Edinburgh as long as I booked with BA or British Midland.

I couldn't bear getting to London to have to claim my bags, get to a different terminal and check-in again!
Why do you have to book the connections yourself?

If you do...make sure you allow at least 3 hours at LHR.

Singapore Airlines has baggage interline agreements with BA and bmi so they CAN check your bags through to the final destination on these airlines - but when travelling on seperate tickets its not unheard of for airlines to decline to do so. I would expect Singapore will do this for you though.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

The guy at the call centre said he could only get me to london or manc. I had to book through to edin myself.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The guy at the call centre said he could only get me to london or manc. I had to book through to edin myself.
The only reason I can think of is that your Singapore flight arrives in London too late to connect to a bmi flight - so I guess you arrive in London in the evening? Otherwise they should be able to put you on bmi as they are Star Alliance airline partners. The only problem might be sometimes the Singapore website & presumably call centre prices up ludicrous fares when connecting flights are included on a single ticket.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the answer to your specific question I'm afraid (if you use a travel agent can they book straight through) but just check that your baggage allowance is the same on both carriers (a friend had a problem on a connecting flight to Glasgow).

SQ is quite relaxed and I've usually had 10kg over person with no problem, but the other carrier might be more strict.

When are you going? If you're in Singapore for long I can meet you for a coffee!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Don't know the answer to your specific question I'm afraid (if you use a travel agent can they book straight through) but just check that your baggage allowance is the same on both carriers (a friend had a problem on a connecting flight to Glasgow).

SQ is quite relaxed and I've usually had 10kg over person with no problem, but the other carrier might be more strict.

When are you going? If you're in Singapore for long I can meet you for a coffee!

Will let you know! Not sure of confirmed plans yet. Trying to get the best deal on flights first.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

alot of the airlines will want you to collect you bags at london and clear customs, then you have to check them in again for your next flight.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by billymacker
alot of the airlines will want you to collect you bags at london and clear customs, then you have to check them in again for your next flight.
That must be a new thing. I have never had to do it before and never in 9 years of annual flights to oz. My bags clear customs in edinburgh but I clear through flight connections in london.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

That must be a new thing.
No, nothing has changed - your bags could certainly be checked through to Edinburgh on a single ticket.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

That must be a new thing. I have never had to do it before and never in 9 years of annual flights to oz. My bags clear customs in edinburgh but I clear through flight connections in london.
We had it twice last year they said because you are on a domestic flight from london to X airport in the UK your bags will not have gone through customs.