British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Singapore Airlines - A380 - Economy class (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/singapore-airlines-a380-economy-class-745879/)

rubbeldiekatz Jan 22nd 2012 10:38 pm

Singapore Airlines - A380 - Economy class

Hi Guys,

Im going to Germany in April with SIN Airlines on the A380 - is the economy class much different to the 747's etc ? I doubt it would be, just checking what your experience was?

Thanks all - how nice is it in Melbourne at the moment ?

Markus

knockoff nige Jan 22nd 2012 10:44 pm

Re: Singapore Airlines - A380 - Economy class

I think its just a bigger plane. I've flown A380 with singapore 5 times now (2 trips) and dont think there is much to sing about. The only advantage was when on the upper desk, you MIGHT get served your food quicker.

DadAgain Jan 22nd 2012 11:03 pm

I've not flown on SIA A380, but on a QF A380 the notable differences (in economy) were:

1) The gate is busier - Having close to 600 passengers go through a gate instead of 400 means mayhem... Airport facilities can be stressed. (Number of toilets at the airports hasnt increased!)

2) Entertainment systems in A380's are better than those on older flying stock. Slightly bigger screens, touch screens rather than dodgy navigation buttons in the armrest. Much smaller control boxes in your footwell - so more room to wiggle your feet!

3) Slightly better design of seat pocket, meant the illusion of more room once the pocket has been emptied and the magazine, sick bag and safety card stowed elsewhere. Probably 5-10mm more knee space (i.e. 5-10mm total kneespace instead of 0mm)

Other than that is much of a muchness, not comfortable. Get some decent noise cancelling headphones and sit down and wait.

DeadVim Jan 22nd 2012 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz (Post 9858564)
Hi Guys,

Im going to Germany in April with SIN Airlines on the A380 - is the economy class much different to the 747's etc ? I doubt it would be, just checking what your experience was?

Thanks all - how nice is it in Melbourne at the moment ?

Markus

I am a fan of the window seat and like to lean against the side while napping, on the A380 I found the window to be too far away to do that without a mountain of pillows.

That was the only downside I found, other than that it's a standard economy Singapore Air experience, about as good as it gets for the money I'd imagine.

No idea how nice it was in Melbourne 30 minutes ago, I guess it's changed by now anyway :p

bcworld Jan 22nd 2012 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 9858597)
I've not flown on SIA A380, but on a QF A380 the notable differences (in economy) were:

1) The gate is busier - Having close to 600 passengers go through a gate instead of 400 means mayhem... Airport facilities can be stressed. (Number of toilets at the airports hasnt increased!)

There's only 450 seats on a QF A380. They must've put an extra deck on yours!

DadAgain Jan 22nd 2012 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9858610)
There's only 450 seats on a QF A380. They must've put an extra deck on yours!

oops OK - well the gate felt pretty crowded! Certainly more crowded than it used to in the 747 days!

chris955 Jan 23rd 2012 12:48 am

I recently flew Singapore Airlines on the A380 and had no complaints at all, it was a great experience as it always is with SIA.

koalakim Jan 23rd 2012 1:02 am

Hi

I've been very impressed in London how quickly you actually board the A380, disembarking as always is another matter! Not noticed any difference in Singapore, the luggage is still on the carousel when you get down there.

Interior wise, I miss the four rows of two seats you used to get at the back of the 747-400s, apart from upper deck there aren't any on the 380 which means always having to sit next to a funny person!!

The windows being so far from the seat is annoying as well as I have to also pump it up with pillows to rest.

Find seats okay although I'm sure some of SIAs have more leg room than others in the fleet!

Overall it's fine and the weather in Mellie is 30 degrees and sunny today,

RedT Jan 23rd 2012 2:00 am

Well I keep banging on about it but i freakin LOVED being upstairs on the A380 on our flights over here. More legroom (not yards or anything but enough to make a difference), lockers at the window seats meant we could put stuff away and not be surrounded with crap for the whole flight and yes, you get your food quicker! Plus there are fewer passengers so i felt we got a far better service generally.

I actually liked the gap between the seat and the window because I was able to pile it up with pillows, wedge myself in there (not fully you understand, I'm no pixie...) and actually get some sleep.

We went with Singapore, highly recommend them :thumbsup:

Amazulu Jan 23rd 2012 2:06 am

My understanding is that the economy class entertainment system on the A380, A330-300 and the B777-300ER is the same (it certainly is on the latter 2).

Beoz Jan 23rd 2012 2:07 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9858604)
I am a fan of the window seat and like to lean against the side while napping, on the A380 I found the window to be too far away to do that without a mountain of pillows.

:p

Here here. The nap on the window is virtually impossible in the A380.

One thing I did notice compared to a 747 was how quiet it is.

Perhaps I was hearing things but I swear you could hear the wind whistling past during take off.

You can also hear people snor a lot more. Especially from long distances.

Overall it's a better flying experience than a 747 especially on long haul.

Pollyana Jan 23rd 2012 2:35 am

Little tip for users of QF 380s - might apply to other airlines, but depends on their seat configuration. At the front of the rear sector in economy, have a look at the second row of seats. The first row, by the door & the galley only has two seats, aisle and middle. So whoever gets the WINDOW seat in the second row has no-one in front of them.
As its not an exit row you can't pay extra and book it, but you can get on line and reserve it (not a guarantee but :fingerscrossed: ) You then get extra legroom, and can get in and out that way without climbing over people. You also get that extra bit of space by the window :thumbup:

DadAgain Jan 23rd 2012 2:52 am

Theres also a freaky row in the middle halfway down the plane that only has 3 seats in (dont quite know why) - if you're in the left-most seat of the row of 4 behind it - you have a double row of legroom all to yourself! :thumbsup:

bcworld Jan 23rd 2012 2:55 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 9858793)
Theres also a freaky row in the middle halfway down the plane that only has 3 seats in (dont quite know why) - if you're in the left-most seat of the row of 4 behind it - you have a double row of legroom all to yourself! :thumbsup:

There's an escape hatch from the crew rest below in the floor in front of that seat!

rubbeldiekatz Jan 23rd 2012 3:01 am

What means "Preferred seat" on the seat maps ? - Never mind, I got it.